PDA

View Full Version : Where is "KING" James Rempe

cueball1950
09-30-2004, 09:09 AM
I have noticed lately that he has not been entering any tournaments. He has not been to any Joss Events for awhile now and was not at the U S Open either. Does anybody have any clues to his wherabouts or if he quit playing. I hope everything is OK with Jim..........................mike

cueball1950
09-30-2004, 08:44 PM
wow....56 people view this thread and nobody knows anything..........thought someone from Pennsylvania would know something for sure........................mike

Deeman2
10-01-2004, 07:46 AM
Mike,

I left Pennsylvania over a year ago and the last thing i knew, he was still there as I saw him play at Valley Forge that year and at an event in Landcaster a few weeks earlier. I am not aware of anythig that has happened to him or where he may be.

Sorry, now I am curious as well. Maybe someone in the coal country region knows.

Deeman

Barbara
10-01-2004, 08:02 AM
Isn't he still the house pro at The Arena in Moosic, PA?

Barbara~~~will be passing by there today...

RailbirdJAM
10-01-2004, 08:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> wow....56 people view this thread and nobody knows anything..........thought someone from Pennsylvania would know something for sure........................mike <hr /></blockquote>

Hi, Mike! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I saw Jim Rempe earlier this year at a Joss Tour tournament at Salt City Billiards in North Syracuse, New York, and got an opportunity to chat with him while we were eating a bowl of homemade Tortellini soup. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

He said he doesn't play in too many tournaments these days, the last major event being the Trump 10-Ball Challenge in Atlantic City where he placed second to Canadian Danny Hewitt. He does enjoy competing in the Joss Tour on occasion which occurs mainly in the Northeast. I heard him commentate on a few ESPN matches earlier this year with Mitch Lawrence.

When I queried him for his opinion on the state of affairs in the current pool world, he believes the sport would benefit if the players dressed up in tuxedos and tournaments were held in ballroom-like venues, much like the straight pool tournaments of yesteryear, adding an air of elegance and glamor.

He does suffer from low back pain and has for many years. He said years ago that the overseas pool table manufacturers lowered the height of the pool table by 3 inches so that they could fit another table into the delivery trucks, which is when his lower back pain began.

I saw him double-dip Karen Corr in the finals at that Joss tourney in North Syracuse, which must have brought him a little satisfaction after Karen beat him earlier in the season in the finals. The performance of both players was topnotch.

I think it may be his lower back pain that keeps him from frequenting the tournament trail as much as he would like to (IMO). I have enjoyed watching him play in the past. When he's in the heat of battle, his style of play is very focused, and he approaches every shot as if it was the game-winning ball. I hope to get the opportunity again to see him play on upcoming Joss Tour tournaments. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

See you in Quincy, Mike?

RailbirdJAM

houseman
10-02-2004, 09:17 PM
I know all about lower back pain, 1 or 2 hours of playing pool and im done for a few days. I heard that the Arena in Moosic went out of business. JWIH

HallofFame
10-06-2004, 10:20 AM
Hi Everybody,

I was not going to reply to this thread but there has been a lot of SERIOUSLY bad information being passed round about Jimmy, I have a couple of the posts here and will now leak out the information about "MY FRIEND"; which I mention in these posts. Because I'm PEEVED!!!!!!!

Jimmy is doing GREAT, I play with him for a couple hours a week. He is pretty much retired right now because he is the midst of deciding whether to sell his home and renovate his cottage or stay in his home forever. AND because he is disgusted with the game because it has become to EASY due to the fast cloth and a number of other pet peeves he has.

There were rumors going around here in NorthEast PA that he had Parkensen's disease and his arm was shaking and that's why he hasn't been around, I just found out about this rumor yesterday when I stopped in a Scranton pool hall and was told this; as luck would have it I was on my way to Jimmy's house to shoot a few racks. Well, that's all BS; I wish my arm was shaking like his because I would look for Johnny A. and rip him a new "you know what".

Jimmy has been gone from the Arena (which is now closed) for about 10 years, I will now clear up any rumors about this. Jimmy left the Arena Billiard hall because of a dispute with the owners who thought Jimmy had an obligation to them to bring in pro players and for himself of give FREE lessons. Jimmy had NO obligation to do this, he was just operating the Meucci store because he was and still is the male player rep for Bob.

More:

Although Jimmy is and will go down in billiard history as probably one of the top three 9 ball players that EVER played the game, but he prefers to play straight pool, which is what we play at his house. This is just another reason why he has not played, you can count the number of straight pool tournaments in the past decade on two hands.

I think I covered all the other posts to this topic, I don't know what else to say.

OH YEAH, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday when I was at Jimmy's house Sally ( Jimmy's wife) said that Jimmy MIGHT be selling some of his memorabilia ( just pictures no trophy's) and wanted to know if I would help him do this on e-bay. This is UNBELIEVABLE. You should see the collection of photos he has of himself and all the pool players (young and old), he has got cabinets and boxes full of stuff. Jimmy also mentioned that he MIGHT be selling off some of this stuff, it's just too much; he literally needs another home just to keep this stuff in.

Now, I will rant on what I think of Jimmy Rempe

Jimmy in my opinion is in the top ten greatest pool players of ALL time, this includes in order of years inducted into the Hall of Fame: Greenleaf, Hoppe, De'Oro, Mosconi, Caras, Crane, Mizerak, Balsis, Lassiter, Hall, Rempe.

Jimmy in my opinion is in the top three greatest 9 ball players of ALL time, this includes in order of years inducted into the Hall of Fame: Lassiter, Hall, Rempe.

Jimmy won 98 tournaments in the decade of the 70's this was a period when there were only three or four tournaments a year each for 8 ball, 9 ball, straight pool, and one pocket, you do the math; he won just about EVERY one of them There was no such thing as player of the decade for the 70's but if there was Jimmy hands down would get it. If the top players today played Jimmy in the 70's they wouldn't stand a chance; they are lucky that years ago the weaker player ( which was THEM) voted to use the 860 (fells like I'm playing on glass) cloth or else they would have to play on 80/20 Mali and the would just be nothing but hackers like you and me.

That's it, Jimmy is doing GREAT and is GREAT.

Thanks for thinking about Jimmy, and I WILL let him know that people wonder where he is.

Good luck,

Joe

HallofFame
10-06-2004, 10:52 AM
Railbird,

Sorry, I forgot your reply.

Yes, Jimmy is bothered by back pain but that is NOT why he is stopped playing in tournaments,

Yes, Jimmy likes to play pool in Tuxedo's.

Yes, Jimmy has a few of "Peeves" about the game and in his opinion the game of billiards is being destroyed by a combination of equipment and attitudes.

Jimmy is a dinosaur by many standards today, I myself am 57 and hold basically the same opinions on equipment and attitudes as he does. I wish we could all play on the same equipment that we started with in the 60's; I miss the old time pool rooms where you couldn't see who was playing next to you because the smoke was so thick.

I remember I had to crawl out the restroom window of a pool hall in Blytheville, Arkansas in the 1966; I had just won $1800 playing snooker from these guys and boy did they lost the Southern hospitality quick. I was only 18 at the time, I couldn't understand why they were so mad???????

AHHHHH, the good old days.

Good Luck,

Joe

Deeman2
10-06-2004, 11:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HallofFame:</font><hr> Hi Everybody,

I was not going to reply to this thread but there has been a lot of SERIOUSLY bad information being passed round about Jimmy, I have a couple of the posts here and will now leak out the information about "MY FRIEND"; which I mention in these posts. Because I'm PEEVED!!!!!!!

Jimmy is doing GREAT, I play with him for a couple hours a week. He is pretty much retired right now because he is the midst of deciding whether to sell his home and renovate his cottage or stay in his home forever. AND because he is disgusted with the game because it has become to EASY due to the fast cloth and a number of other pet peeves he has.

There were rumors going around here in NorthEast PA that he had Parkensen's disease and his arm was shaking and that's why he hasn't been around, I just found out about this rumor yesterday when I stopped in a Scranton pool hall and was told this; as luck would have it I was on my way to Jimmy's house to shoot a few racks. Well, that's all BS; I wish my arm was shaking like his because I would look for Johnny A. and rip him a new "you know what".

Jimmy has been gone from the Arena (which is now closed) for about 10 years, I will now clear up any rumors about this. Jimmy left the Arena Billiard hall because of a dispute with the owners who thought Jimmy had an obligation to them to bring in pro players and for himself of give FREE lessons. Jimmy had NO obligation to do this, he was just operating the Meucci store because he was and still is the male player rep for Bob.

More:

Although Jimmy is and will go down in billiard history as probably one of the top three 9 ball players that EVER played the game, but he prefers to play straight pool, which is what we play at his house. This is just another reason why he has not played, you can count the number of straight pool tournaments in the past decade on two hands.

I think I covered all the other posts to this topic, I don't know what else to say.

OH YEAH, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday when I was at Jimmy's house Sally ( Jimmy's wife) said that Jimmy MIGHT be selling some of his memorabilia ( just pictures no trophy's) and wanted to know if I would help him do this on e-bay. This is UNBELIEVABLE. You should see the collection of photos he has of himself and all the pool players (young and old), he has got cabinets and boxes full of stuff. Jimmy also mentioned that he MIGHT be selling off some of this stuff, it's just too much; he literally needs another home just to keep this stuff in.

Now, I will rant on what I think of Jimmy Rempe

Jimmy in my opinion is in the top ten greatest pool players of ALL time, this includes in order of years inducted into the Hall of Fame: Greenleaf, Hoppe, De'Oro, Mosconi, Caras, Crane, Mizerak, Balsis, Lassiter, Hall, Rempe.

Jimmy in my opinion is in the top three greatest 9 ball players of ALL time, this includes in order of years inducted into the Hall of Fame: Lassiter, Hall, Rempe.

Jimmy won 98 tournaments in the decade of the 70's this was a period when there were only three or four tournaments a year each for 8 ball, 9 ball, straight pool, and one pocket, you do the math; he won just about EVERY one of them There was no such thing as player of the decade for the 70's but if there was Jimmy hands down would get it. If the top players today played Jimmy in the 70's they wouldn't stand a chance; they are lucky that years ago the weaker player ( which was THEM) voted to use the 860 (fells like I'm playing on glass) cloth or else they would have to play on 80/20 Mali and the would just be nothing but hackers like you and me.

That's it, Jimmy is doing GREAT and is GREAT.

Thanks for thinking about Jimmy, and I WILL let him know that people wonder where he is.

Good luck,

Joe
<hr /></blockquote>

Geez Joe,

Did you hit your head on the way out of that pool hall in Blythville? I don't think anyone here was trying to pass "SERIOUSLY" bad information about Jim Rempe to anyone. Someone asked and most responded what they knew or had heard. We all like Jim Rempe, I think.

Jim has, intensional or not, had a rather low profile lately and his fans were just asking about his wellbeing. Thanks for the info you have given us.

Lighten up.....

HallofFame
10-06-2004, 12:20 PM
Hi Deeman,

Sorry about the rant about Jimmy.

I think my post was started too abruptly and it sure did look like I was attacking the threads to this post, I am sorry I gave that impression. I just wanted to make clear what Jimmy was up to. I only real reason I replied to the post was because of that rumor I heard yesterday. People around here think Jimmy has some sore of obligation ( like the Arena did ) to patronize there pool hall because he lives here. Jimmy is basically a "home body";, he spent so many years on the road that he just likes to stay home.

And that rant about Jimmy was my own, it had nothing to do with the posts on this topic; but you are correct, it sure did sound like I was sounding off against the people that replied and I am sorry for that.

Oh, by the way; I did hit my head going out that window along with losing my cue stick which I left behind.

Joe

Deeman2
10-06-2004, 12:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HallofFame:</font><hr> Hi Deeman,

Sorry about the rant about Jimmy.

I think my post was started too abruptly and it sure did look like I was attacking the threads to this post, I am sorry I gave that impression. I just wanted to make clear what Jimmy was up to. I only real reason I replied to the post was because of that rumor I heard yesterday. People around here think Jimmy has some sore of obligation ( like the Arena did ) to patronize there pool hall because he lives here. Jimmy is basically a "home body";, he spent so many years on the road that he just likes to stay home.

And that rant about Jimmy was my own, it had nothing to do with the posts on this topic; but you are correct, it sure did sound like I was sounding off against the people that replied and I am sorry for that.

Oh, by the way; I did hit my head going out that window along with losing my cue stick which I left behind.

Joe
<hr /></blockquote>

Joe,

Lived in Blythville and you are right, a rough bunch there. You did good to get out alive, some didn't I hear!

My best to Jim. He is, as you say, one of the all time greats and has always set a wonderful example for everyone. I'm glad he's doing well. He is a gentleman and lucky to have many friends like you.

I still enjoy seeing him shoot. Does he still have that King James cue that Bob made up for him in the 1970's?

Please give him my best.

Deeman

HallofFame
10-06-2004, 02:05 PM
Hi Deeman,

Wow, gems galore; no, he does not have it. You seem to know a bit about Jimmy so you know he was a big influence in the orient. While he was over there some billionaire's aspiring pool playing son offered him $70G's for it and he immediately took the money, Jimmy once told me the cue was worth about $10G's when Bob made it for him. I remember Jim telling the story of the cue, I think Bob made for him when he won his "uptenth" 9 ball tournament; or, it was a gift for winning a specific tournament that maybe Bob sponsored.

You lived in Blytheville!!!!!!!!!!!!???????????*************))) ))))))))). Oh my God!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????
I do not know how old you are, but I was stationed at Blytheville Airforce Base between 1965 and 1968. I can't remember where this pool room was but on the corner of what seemed to be a main road there was one of those Razorback restaurants, it was like the old 50's type place where waitresses would come to your car and put a tray on your window.

I remember there was a sporting goods store across the street from the pool hall, I was 17 or 18 at the time and walked in there and bought a 38 caliber hand gun for $21; NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

Here's something you might not know. Jimmy said in Japan there is a tray filled with Silicon and when the balls are pocketed they roll down into this tray and the racker gives them a good shaking like he is sifting something; this coats the balls with the Silicon. So, if you ever see a match in Japan and notice the balls doing all kinds of un-physics like tricks, that's the reason.

Deeman, I am the one who is lucky that I know the caliber person that Jimmy is. Also, lucky that I have him teaching me (at 57) how to play pool. It's a revelation every time we play and he shows me something that Lassiter, or Crane showed him. These guys are gone forever, Jimmy's the last of this type of player; even Varner, Segal, Hopkins and those guys came later. So, Jimmy knows stuff than maybe only a handful of people in the world know. Jimmy put a shot out for me once and asked me to think about it and shoot the shot to go back down table, so naturally I load the cue ball up with whatever I had in my brain. Jimmy puts the shot back up and says to me; "this is what Wimpy showed me", I looked at him, my mouth was wide open in complete amazement; I said a six year old could do that and Jimmy said so why don't the players today do it. I just couldn't believe the simplicity of it. So here I am standing next to Jimmy Rempe who learned something from Luther Lassiter and shows it to me; I'm thinking that there are probably three people, two living, that know this shot and I'm one of them.

There's no better teacher than experience, I'd advise anybody, even low lever pro players, to take lessons from an accomplished pro. I have stacks of billiard books that I read to try and pick up some little tips here and there, I figured even if you spend $30 for a book and learn one thing you spent your money wisely. But Jimmy said a lot of stuff in those books simply isn't true, when it's 95 degrees, raining, and humidity is 90 percent, and no A/C you can open a window and throw the book out because it's no good.

Well, that's it. I'm kind of curious about the stick myself, I'll ask Jimmy just how he acquired the stick from Bob.

Oh, Yeah. I see you live in Texas; do you know Len Bludworth? If you do, tell him that Jimmy's friend Joe said sorry about the misunderstanding concerning the ball washer, he'll know what I mean.

Good Luck,

Joe

Deeman2
10-06-2004, 02:47 PM
Joe,

Blythville and Hot Springs were pool and gambling hot spots but, unfortunately, I was only about 12 when I lived there (I'm 52 now). I know the pool hall you are describing next to the Razorback Barbeque. I think it was just referred to as "Pastime." My step father took me in there years later and everyone remembered him and the heros he used to play there.

I saw the King James cue, in Memphis, when Bob finished it, a beauty and you are right, full of diamonds and such and $10,000 was what Bob said it cost to make it. Jimmy ruled nine ball in those days. I enjoyed seeing him again in Landcaster and Valley Forge last year. It brought back some nice memories. A real class act. I have heard many say he is a great teacher although I have never had the pleasure of his instruction. I am happy you are learning from him before it's too late.

I lived in Japan twice, in the early 70's and in the late 80's. Jim Rempe could not walk down the street without being mobbed by fans. Meucci made a ton of money in Asia just because of Jimmy's name. I would take 20 sticks over each trip home and sell them all before I went to sleep the first night home for triple the suggested retail. Those were the days.

My best to Jim.

I have not seen Mr. Bloodworth since I have been here. I met him in Vegas many years ago. A nice man as well.

Deeman

Tommy_Davidson
10-07-2004, 02:39 AM
&gt; I was told by Adam Orr and several others that were at the Memphis Open in 1989 that an oriental collector offered Jimmy 17k CASH for the "Crown Jewels",Jimmy jumped all over it,then watched the same man sell it for 85k to another oriental collector less than 10 feet away from where Jimmy sold it to him. That was an awesome cue,and Jimmy played like burning hell with it,or anything else for that matter. The last time I saw him,his arm was most apparently shaking,as if arthritis or some kind of injury was hampering him. Tommy D.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-07-2004, 06:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HallofFame:</font><hr>

...Jimmy put a shot out for me once and asked me to think about it and shoot the shot to go back down table, so naturally I load the cue ball up with whatever I had in my brain. Jimmy puts the shot back up and says to me; "this is what Wimpy showed me", I looked at him, my mouth was wide open in complete amazement; I said a six year old could do that and Jimmy said so why don't the players today do it. I just couldn't believe the simplicity of it....

<hr /></blockquote>

We're going to have to teach you to use the wei table:

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

Wally_in_Cincy
10-07-2004, 06:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HallofFame:</font><hr>

...Oh, Yeah. I see you live in Texas; do you know Len Bludworth? ...

<hr /></blockquote>

Mr. Bludworth hangs out at AZBilliards

http://www.azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/

Good luck getting onto the site. It's been painfully slow lately.

HallofFame
10-07-2004, 01:13 PM
Hi,

What is a wei table?

How does it apply to the REAL world?

Does it make allowances for MY stroke?

Will it tell me what players like Lassiter and Crane,etc. showed Jimmy?

I have a real table in my house to set up real shots under real conditions.

I tried the site but I had to download some Shockwave stuff and I decided not to.

Will it benefit me more than just walking over to Jimmy's house to shot with him?

If the site will teach me more than Jimmy Rempe can I am all for it and will certainly download the Shockwave stuff and give the site a try.

Could you give me a little info on what this site is supposed to do?

If the site is beneficial I will surely pass on the web address to some of the weaker players I know who do not have a home table so that can benefit from it.

Thanks,

Joe

SPetty
10-07-2004, 01:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote HallofFame:</font><hr> What is a wei table?<hr /></blockquote>Howdy HallofFame,

A wei table is a computer graphic "program" created by a good man named Mr. Wei, and shared with the pool community.

It is a wonderfully simple device that allows pool players to diagram shots to share with other pool players certain table layouts, ball positions, ball travel, cueball english, etc.

cycopath
10-07-2004, 01:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tommy_Davidson:</font><hr>The last time I saw him,his arm was most apparently shaking,as if arthritis or some kind of injury was hampering him. Tommy D. <hr /></blockquote>

I've got a couple of Accu-Stats tapes with Rempe playing that are from 3 or 4 years ago. Even though his arm is visibly shaking he is still stroking so pure isn't unreal. I can only imagine how well he played in the 70's. It must have been truly spectacular play.

HallofFame
10-07-2004, 02:16 PM
OOOOOOOOOhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh,

I see.

Wally wants me to diagram the shot and show everybody what Jimmy showed Me.

Nice try Wally /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Anyway, that sounds GREAT; I decided to download the shockwave but never did get it to install, it looks like it wants me to add some sort of toolbar to my browser and every time I elect not to it starts the download all over again. I finally went ahead and added the toolbar but it flashed messages that my browser settings had been changed and gave me a chance to change them back; as soon as I did the program again began to download.

That's too bad for me /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

This is certainly a GREAT learning tool for info to be passed on over the net; as long as it's not secret info that is going to be taken to the grave with me.

Getting off the subject and back to Jimmy's shaking problem which is still being talked about; I can assure everybody that Jimmy is NOT shaking, and is ROCK STEADY.

Cycopath,

Can you tell me what tapes you watched, I have all of Jimmy's / Pat's stuff and never saw what you are talking about; be specific as to where it is on the tape you saw this. Is it all the way through or just certain games or certain shots; was it straight pool or 9 ball.

I can assure you Cycopath that Jimmy's arm in not shaking and he has other reasons for not playing.

Spetty,

Thanks for the info, I will try again to get that site to work.

Wally,

Naughty, naughty, naughty of you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I see there is well over 400 hits on this topic I WILL SURELY let Jimmy know how much everybody feels and is thinking about him, I will now thank everybody for Jimmy for all your concern about him. You are TRUELY great people.

Joe

HallofFame
10-07-2004, 02:30 PM
VOILA,

Got it.

Thanks guys, I'll check it out later.

Joe