PDA

View Full Version : Got my BreakRak

Chopstick
09-30-2004, 12:11 PM
I received my new BreakRak and I am pleased to report that it acutally does simulate a rack of balls. I tested it from all the angles I commonly use and it accurately reproduced all of my breaking flaws that I usually see in a match. So, I am happily banging away at it hoping for better days. I enjoyed talking to you Mr. Bond, and I look forward to your book.

There is one thing I would like to add to it though. Anyone know where I can get a decal of a spider to put on the nose of this thing? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SPetty
09-30-2004, 12:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> Anyone know where I can get a decal of a spider to put on the nose of this thing?<hr /></blockquote>That's easy!

Maybe this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;rd=1&amp;item=7924982683&amp;catego ry=50449) ?
http://i23.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/8a/20/ba_1_b.JPG

Or maybe you really want a Spiderman decal like this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=1530&amp;item=61219737 59&amp;rd=1&amp;ssPageName=WDVW) ?
http://www.azgrafix.com/catalog/images/0819.jpg

Or possibly this (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=617&amp;item=632762567 1&amp;rd=1) ?
http://i17.ebayimg.com/02/i/02/89/7a/8f_1_b.JPG

SpiderMan
09-30-2004, 01:49 PM
Do you think ol' Chopstick is gunning for me?

SpiderMan

Chris Cass
09-30-2004, 02:11 PM
Hi Chopstick,

Do me a favor. I'd like you to give the product a true evaluation. I believe in the product myself and feel that it could really help the break. What I'd like to see is some type of measured results in time.

Do you enter any tournament? Will you keep a record of how many reps you've done over a period of time and note the results? Either in tournament play or overall average of how manytimes you squat whitey in the ctr of the table?

I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ so, don't get my meaning wrong. I'm extremely interested in that evaluation and Charlie Bond would probably like to know himself that someone else has proven the product to be worth purchasing. I believe SPetty bought one and I'm sincere in my curiousity. If you need a direction to get these findings? I'd be happy to give you my .02 I'm sure you have your own also. Do you pwr break?

I've put countless hrs into my break before my physical limitations set in and I know what it takes to invest time in something myself. I'm in the progress of starting all over again but in another direction where the break is concerned. There's many ways to break and doesn't have to be the pwr break either. Since my loss of the ability to pwr break I've since turned my direction into any type break with more of what I call a control break. So, chop chop bud, I'm not getting any younger. lol

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
09-30-2004, 02:13 PM
I sure hope not Spiderman. If he does I'll give you some refuge. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~best tip man in Texas and good friend. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chopstick
09-30-2004, 04:22 PM
Well guys, I just had an accident with my BreakRak. I was getting all Happy Gilmore with it, you know like Rodney Morris, just hauling off and lamb-blasting it and I missed the head ball and hit the black one on the side. It exploded! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I talked to Charlie, he said immediately "Missed the head ball huh?" He said that can happen if you catch it just right. He's sending me another one. I'll be more careful with this one. I promise and thanks Charlie.

Yes Chris, I would be willing to give the product a documented objective evaluation. If you and Spidey have any suggestions for a format I would be more than happy to document my progress.

Do I enter any tournaments?

OK, down here they have started an APA power league. Only the top three handicap levels are allowed to play and in my opinion it totally rocks. In eight ball I play all sevens and in nine ball I play eights and nines. The 2003 U.S. Amateur Champion is in my league and he doesn't win every week. I just started playing the Florida Men's Pro Tour. The season is about to end so that test is out until next year. That's just to give you an idea of the field I am competing against.

Now, as far as breaks that are not power breaks. I have posted this before but I will do it again because I think it's cool. It's a quote from a famous golf pro named Harvey Penick about hitting a golf ball.

"The woods are full of long hitters."

Amen Harvey.

I went to Grady Matthews and ask him about breaks. He spent an hour showing all the breaking systems that are currently in use by the pros. If you ever talk to a pro bowler about strikes they will tell you that each lane has a certain speed. Pool tables are the same way. They have an optimum speed for breaking and it's not 9 million miles an hour.

I've been promising Spidey to get these tapes converted to VHS for a while. Some of these got damaged by the airlines. I'll get a copy out to you guys or I'll have Grady do it again.

Chopstick
09-30-2004, 04:28 PM
Give him refuge?? You better pack a lunch CC!

Who do ya think showed him how to put them tips on?

Look forward to seeing you guys and Happy Birthday again Spidey.

Chris Cass
09-30-2004, 10:18 PM
HAHAHAHA That's too funny Chopstick.

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
09-30-2004, 10:27 PM
That's too cool Chopstick. I'm happy to hear your competition isn't one of the local bar scenes. I hope the tour helps you well. It's great to compete with the players of the caliber that will not give you everything on a platter.

I didn't know you helped Spidey with his refined tip exchanges. lol That's great too. I like and admire him tons. We met in Vegas and he's the greatest. Every once in awhile he'll mail me a cue chalk holder via toilet. LOL That's another story. lol

Thanks for thinking about the eval in Charlie' invention. If Spidey doesn't come up with a good plan I could. He's a bit more on the better side of things concidering he's well educated. Much better than myself.

Glad to meet you even though I've seen your posts before. May have even answered some too. lol

Regards,

C.C.~~needs to be on the Fla Am tour.

Sid_Vicious
10-01-2004, 08:23 AM
I break from the side and wonder whether the BR's twist response from the elastic bands is deceiving to CB response compared to a real rack of spreading balls. What I'd like to compare notes on is your immediate success of squatting the CB in a general area, following one of your practice hour(s.) I seemed to get the headball hit and control of the CB with the B-rak, but became frustrated when I couldn't move this immediately into my actual 9-ball break. Maybe I gave up too soon, so let me know what you discover and I'll maybe re-visit this tool. There seems to be a lot of praise for the BreakRak from players, so I'll accept that I can be the problem, not the rak, and like I said, I didn't spend a whole lot of time with it before I formed my semi-dubvious attitude. I'll state though that it is handy to not have to rack, rack, rack while stoking for a break hit though, and if nothing else, I expect to get more break practice for consistency, but exact consistency reletave to a real pack?...my vote's not quite in on that one. I do believe though that Charlie's said that it is a tool for building consistency, which it does do, so just maybe there was a small disclaimer hidden inside that statement...sid

SpiderMan
10-01-2004, 08:53 AM
Actually, we've only had a few conversations on tip installation, but Chopstick is the guy who first suggested I learn to play pool. We were about 20 at the time, he was in the Army and I was at Ole Miss. It's been a back-and-forth rivalry ever since I got good enough to hold my own with him. Don't know who would be ahead now ... might depend on the game.

Last time we met in Memphis I think I got the 8-ball crown and he got the 9. Then he carried on so long and loud about my using "The Frog" to jump the rack and kick in a combo at one-pocket that we had to leave because no one could hear the jukebox. I think he was a few balls ahead at the time.

BTW, watch your tab at Click's in east Memphis, they pad it like nobody's business.

SpiderMan

ceebee
10-01-2004, 09:14 AM
Hey there folks. In my new book, "The GREAT Break Shot", I have inserted a matrix for defining the location of Whitey "after the Snap". As the matrix numbers tighten to the spot your attempting to locate WHITEY on, the obvious answer is that you are becoming more accurate &amp; consistant.

The BreakRAK isn't meant to be the "end to all answers about the Break", it's a tool to assist the Player in developing "rhythm of stroke for speed, accuracy of hit on the Lead Ball &amp; control of the Cue Ball after the fact". The Player takes this "learned action" &amp; adapts it to playing conditions. When a player has developed accuracy of hit &amp; rhythm of stroke with a training aid, adapting to different playing conditions will be easier for the Player. Different balls rebound differently and different cloths react differently too. Humidity and temperature affects the reaction as well.

The BreakRAK simulates a perfect rack, so when youse folks hit a slug rack.. the cue ball is somewhat loose, just as if you had hit a single ball.

I even use the BreakRAK to practice my power draw, if I don't hit the very exact spot on the nose, my draw shot goes awry. Not having to chase an object ball and/or re-position the object a ball aids me in practice and saves me time.

I didn't wake up one morning with the phrase, "repetition is the vehicle that humans learn precision motor skills". The very first musicians learned that long ago. Musicians, athletes &amp; industrial workers use repetition every hour, every day, to become more proficient.

If you purchase any Training Aid and don't use it correctly or not at all, expecting proficiency would certainly disappoint you.

When you see Players doing drills, they are repetitiously learning a shot. Then in time of need, reproducing that particular shot becomes easier to do.

PERFECT repetition is the key to success.

Sid_Vicious
10-01-2004, 10:09 AM
ceebee...Bear with me, I'm not prodding you buddy, but what is the transition methodology after the attainment of hitting the BR successfully and squatting the CB and then "as perfectly as possible" racking 9 balls and taking a whack? Is it a matter of subtle adjustments or have you personally adapted an individual way of seeing the reproduction of your newly found break into a regular, tight rack of 9-ball? "I am not done yet" trying the BreakRak, I just feel a need to get results fairly immediately following practice, when hitting 9 actual balls. Ideas? sid~~~has seen ceebee's breaking abilities in person, intense!

Chopstick
10-01-2004, 12:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> he carried on so long and loud about my using "The Frog" to jump the rack and kick in a combo at one-pocket that we had to leave because no one could hear the jukebox. <hr /></blockquote>

HE DID!! HE TOOK OUT THAT FREAKING FROG STICK AND JUMPED OVER A CLUSTER AND KICKED IT IN!!

Froggin in the middle of a one pocket game. That's gotta be a sin. I've never seen anyone do anything like that.

Deeman2
10-01-2004, 01:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>

HE DID!! HE TOOK OUT THAT FREAKING FROG STICK AND JUMPED OVER A CLUSTER AND KICKED IT IN!!

Froggin in the middle of a one pocket game. That's gotta be a sin. <hr /></blockquote>

I have to agree, a Frog in one pocket is, indeed, a sorry state of affairs. Did you quote Earl, ("BE A MAN!") when he did this outrage? Chopstick, you'll have all us oldtimers on your side on this one I believe. The Catholic church could get involved and there may be hearings....

Deeman
Keeps his Frog in his pants when playing one hole.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

ceebee
10-02-2004, 08:11 AM
Sid, I apologize to you for throwing a rock. I guess I want everyone to play well &amp; if they would practice and research the books &amp; videos, their game would rise.

About Getting Results? The one thing I've noticed and been told, about Players using a BreakRAK is this&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;. If the Player practices using good fundamentals &amp; is disciplined in their practice, plus discipline's themself to play like they practiced, instead of trying to crush the rack with this new found stroke, results are there. Continuing to practice, builds confidence and more precision.

I jumped up to a real noticeable level in 2 weeks. In a month, my buddies were hollering, "the BreakRAK" is workin'.., they were also as critical at times.

When I won the local SHORT RACK 8-BALL with a thunderous Break and a 17 game win, the other players all said, we don't want to play SHORT RACK 8-Ball anymore, Charley has too good of a Break. That was my greatest hour as a old man.

Chris Cass
10-02-2004, 08:22 AM
Hey Chopstick,

I'd be more than happy if someone breaks out the JC to make balls in one pocket. I feel it's to my advantage and not theirs. I do believe some can make the shots without messing up but I also think that it shows carelessness in ones part where one pocket is concerned. Mostly because I know what can happen if you do miss. It could be curtains. lol

Regards,

C.C.

Sid_Vicious
10-03-2004, 06:25 AM
What rock was that???sid

SpiderMan
10-04-2004, 08:22 AM
I probably am careless in one pocket, mostly because I only play it when Chopstick comes to visit. I don't even know all the rules. Wonder if he's conning me?

SpiderMan

Chris Cass
10-04-2004, 09:45 AM
Hi Spidey,

It's just a game. If he thought it would matter all that much he would have stopped you from shooting it to begin with. LOL You made the ball and sometimes, you just can't please anyone. lol Check it out, if you miss the thing and let him out? It's ok. If you make it? He's pi$$ed. hahahahaha That's one pocket. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.