PDA

View Full Version : Right or wrong to call pool table cloth 'felt'?

SnakebyteXX
09-30-2004, 04:50 PM
Lately, I've heard many people say that pool table cloth should NOT be called felt because it's NOT felt. That maybe they did use felt to cover pool tables a long time ago but not any more.

So... Is it wrong to call it Simonis and Mali and Granito etc. 'felt'?

Only asking because I 'felt' like it.

Snake

ps. Google sorta says that 'felt' is fine when serching for Simonis (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&q=simonis+felt)

SPetty
09-30-2004, 05:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr> pool table cloth should NOT be called felt because it's NOT felt<hr /></blockquote>Pool table cloth should not be called felt because it's not felt.

However, everyone knows what you mean when you use it that way, so I guess it's up to you whether you're comfortable using the word "felt" when you now know better. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
09-30-2004, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ps. Google sorta says that 'felt' is fine when serching for Simonis <hr /></blockquote>

Those pigeons don't know diddley squat about table cloth. Not to mention correct terminology. If they did they wouldn't call simonis felt. Now if you look up felt your hard pressed to find billiard cloth. It's the information people feed in that causes that type of error. If enough people (which there have been) are looking for felt, then say pool table felt, well it becomes part of a standard with table cloth. Now if you look up worsted cloth, that's what you get, or worsted wool cloth, billiard cloth. It doesn't mention anything about felt unless it's several pages back.

It's the people that don't know any better that feed the pigeons wrong info. So to the amature side or "Pool felt for Dummies" go right ahead. To the advanced side it's billiard cloth, which means wool or worsted wool cloth. In short Simonis, Gorina, etc. Keep in mind it's not 100% wool either, but it dam sure doesn't have any felt in it. ha ha ha ha LOL Hey I was "worst",but now I feel better. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Cass
09-30-2004, 08:35 PM
Hi Snake,

That's the general public for ya. What I refer to as the rec player or recreational player, the weekend worrior (worrior is just the play on words for the person who's worrying your getting out on them.) They're the ones who start to fidget and can be mistaken for shark moves but in reality, they're just nervous.

The ones that when you see them with the cb that's frozen to the rail. Take the butt end of the cue and slide it behind it to get the cb off the rail and shoot the shot from there. I call that the YMCA rules. lol Gosh, they're a funny bunch to watch. Not that I laugh at them personally as human beings. Just the antics they have. lol

I hate to but sometimes use the term when explaining things to them at the ph. I don't mind others using the term myself but I don't care to. I also don't care for saying cloth on the cue describing the linen wrap. To each his own.

You'll see them lining up the quarters under the rail instead of just putting them in the little box by the coin mech. Then the ones that look for the coin mech on the 9 ft rental tables. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Good bunch but they're just not players like us is all.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cueball1950
09-30-2004, 09:33 PM
I think it got the name "felt" cuz back in the old days when they had and used directional cloth if you brushed it the wrong way you could pick little pieces of "FELT" off the cloth. And when it was brushed the wrong way it looked like little hairs standing up. thus you turned around and brushed it the right way. I have been playing for about 40 years and we have always called it felt. But to call todast cloth felt is funny.............................mike

Bob_in_Cincy
10-01-2004, 06:47 AM
It isn't "felt" until someone touches it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bob

Scott Lee
10-01-2004, 07:27 AM
"Felt" is comprised of pressed fibers, and is used for craft projects. ALL billiard cloth is WOVEN, hence the name 'cloth'. So, now you know...it is not correct to call pool table coverings 'felt'! Don't you feel better now? LOL

Scott Lee

SnakebyteXX
10-01-2004, 07:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Felt" is comprised of pressed fibers, and is used for craft projects. ALL billiard cloth is WOVEN, hence the name 'cloth'. So, now you know...it is not correct to call pool table coverings 'felt'! Don't you feel better now? <hr /></blockquote>

Scott, my wife has a spinning wheel - and she knows how to use it - lol. She belongs to a guild of hand-crafters who (among other things) know how to turn sheep's wool into a sweater. Her guild recently made a beautiful quilt entirely from felt that took 'Best of Show' at a local county fair. That having been said I wouldn't for one second consider trying to use it to cover my pool table...

(Honey, can you spin me up something for my table that plays like Simonis 860?)

Noted billiard authority Mike Shamos in his book "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Billiards" has this to say:

"Felt : Cloth material erroneously believed to be used to cover billiard tables, hence, figuratively, the CLOTH itself. Occasionally expanded to mean the table or game of billiards. "He is a master of the felt." The usage is curious because billiard cloth contains no felt."

IMO: Given the common cultural usage 'felt' has become an accepted slang term to describe billiard cloth. It might be less stressful for some of us purists to accept this fact. Over time and through sheer repetition right, wrong or indifferent, the term 'felt' has become the vernacular for billiards cloth and is in the minds of the vast majority of both players and non-players - synonymous with same.

Snake

highsea
10-01-2004, 04:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>You'll see them lining up the quarters under the rail instead of just putting them in the little box by the coin mech.<hr /></blockquote>Now wait a sec, CC. You have to put the quarters under the cushion, or the next guy won't see your money. Then it's a big fight over who's playing next...That's why I like chalkboards. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Usually I try to get there early and just don't give up the table, then it's not my problem. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-CM~~~hates being the "quarter police"

Chris Cass
10-01-2004, 09:24 PM
Hi Highseas,

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Well we have so many bar tables that everyone group has their own. This place I work at the kids are really used to shooting in groups. There's no fighting about it. They all basically wait for s table if they're full. They've been trained that way out here.

My boss is thinking pool for the future and has been for a longtime. He's had the local East Moline HS coming there for yrs already for gym class. From freshmen to senior students have been coming there till they graduated and even spend prom night last stop there.

A little over 13 yrs he's been doing it. I've seen many HS student come through here and all the same. They'll graduate and still come in. They're trained like cattle. LOL They do have their conflicts and do fight at time out front. They even have broken several mirrors off the cars out front and smashed one grill that I know of. My mirror was ripped off and it's electric.

Sometimes I think they'll never grow up and some are just plain respectful kids. I even know the coaches and a sub teacher that still shoots. I watched him graduate HS and went into college then go into teaching. When you can't get a full time job teaching? You substitue teach. Great kd too. He likes Spike tons. One dasy he'll be subbing in Spikes class. Bound to happen as he's one of the subs that travel from school to school. Can't wait for that day. lol

So, the sport isn't totally lost. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~I treat them good too. I make sure to help them in any way I can to keep their interests high in the game. It pays when they respect the tables. That's what I masinly focus on. If they can respect the table, they'll respect the game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
10-02-2004, 07:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>

...They even have broken several mirrors off the cars out front and smashed one grill that I know of. My mirror was ripped off and it's electric....<hr /></blockquote>

Is this like a trend or a fad or something by the hip-hop generation? I've noticed a lot of mirrors torn off the last couple years. I mean what's the point? Stealing a stereo at least has a point, but ripping off mirrors? Come on. It's obvious these punks don't pay their own insurance /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Scott Lee
10-02-2004, 08:20 AM
SnakebyteXX...Oh gosh! I hate when you're right! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif LOL

Scott Lee

Chris Cass
10-02-2004, 08:29 AM
Wow,

I just reread my post here and it's so full of spelling errors it makes me sick.

C.C.~~will proof read better next time. Still can't believe I'm that bad after all these yrs. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Troy
10-02-2004, 08:30 AM
Technically, FELT is an UN-WOVEN cloth made from wool or fur fibers and subjected to heat, moisture and pressure or agitation.
Pool table cloth is woven and is a worsted combination of wool and synthetic fiber.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Felt" is comprised of pressed fibers, and is used for craft projects. ALL billiard cloth is WOVEN, hence the name 'cloth'. So, now you know...it is not correct to call pool table coverings 'felt'! Don't you feel better now? <hr /></blockquote>

Scott, my wife has a spinning wheel - and she knows how to use it - lol. She belongs to a guild of hand-crafters who (among other things) know how to turn sheep's wool into a sweater. Her guild recently made a beautiful quilt entirely from felt that took 'Best of Show' at a local county fair. That having been said I wouldn't for one second consider trying to use it to cover my pool table...

(Honey, can you spin me up something for my table that plays like Simonis 860?)

Noted billiard authority Mike Shamos in his book "The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Billiards" has this to say:

"Felt : Cloth material erroneously believed to be used to cover billiard tables, hence, figuratively, the CLOTH itself. Occasionally expanded to mean the table or game of billiards. "He is a master of the felt." The usage is curious because billiard cloth contains no felt."

IMO: Given the common cultural usage 'felt' has become an accepted slang term to describe billiard cloth. It might be less stressful for some of us purists to accept this fact. Over time and through sheer repetition right, wrong or indifferent, the term 'felt' has become the vernacular for billiards cloth and is in the minds of the vast majority of both players and non-players - synonymous with same.

Snake <hr /></blockquote>

Troy
10-02-2004, 08:37 AM
In the early '50's, the big thing was attaching a car radio antenna to your bicycle. Why ??? I can't remember. But those antennas (antennae ?) had to be ripped from a car...

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>

...They even have broken several mirrors off the cars out front and smashed one grill that I know of. My mirror was ripped off and it's electric....<hr /></blockquote>

Is this like a trend or a fad or something by the hip-hop generation? I've noticed a lot of mirrors torn off the last couple years. I mean what's the point? Stealing a stereo at least has a point, but ripping off mirrors? Come on. It's obvious these punks don't pay their own insurance /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif <hr /></blockquote>