PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

stickman
09-30-2004, 09:33 PM
I played in a tournament Weds. nite. I got the high bid in the calcutta for what I believed to be the favorite player. He bought his half. I lost my first match to a good friend, and worked through the loser's bracket. I eventually was playing for 3rd place against the guy that I had bought in the calcutta. I blanked him in the match. He was unhappy that I didn't dump for him. It only paid two places. I lost the next match. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif I figured if he couldn't beat me, he probably couldn't beat the last two either. (He had an off night) If I had placed in first or second I would have gotten all the money, since I had boughten myself. When it comes down to it, I guess I just had to bet on myself. The friend of mine that beat me in the first match, was the eventual winner.

cueball1950
09-30-2004, 09:37 PM
Thats a tough call. but i think you are right and that it all comes down to $$$$$ and the math. If you would have collected more by winning it yourself then i say...go for it. let the other guy get upset. i am sure he would have done the same thing if the tables were turned.....mike

Rod
09-30-2004, 09:47 PM
Na, no dumps. I'm sure it's been done but your credability is at stake. Like you said if he can't beat you, hows he gonna win. I mean this in a good way BTW. Besides you might have won and got all the bucks for yourself. You know if you try to dump to someone playing bad it's not going to look good. Good call. Hey a guy bought me for 500 in a calcutta, I had to play him first match and he won. It was really an off day for me but I never expected anything else. Play bad and you should lose.

Rod

Chris Cass
09-30-2004, 09:54 PM
Hi Jim,

Let me start by saying I'm pleased at your finish and your cal buddy didn't sway your opinion or play. I can't tell you what to say about the money thing. That was totally your decision. Say you bought him for $20. and he had half and then say, you went for $100. and you didn't by half yourself? Then, it would benifit you to let him win but, in my eyes? You'ld be wrong. That would be your choice too. I wouldn't hold it against you but I'd lose my respect for you.

I myself, regardless of if someone had me in the cal or just me had me. I'm going to try to do the best I can. I'm not going to lower my play because someone else invested in me and I was forced to play them near the final rounds.

If someone ever invests money on me in the cal. I won't let them down. I also won't dump for them either. Your opponent will most likely buy you again the next time out too. Atleast, they can sulk knowing your going to play the game with all your abilities and try to win.

I think you done good. Don't feel anything but good about yourself and although, I know your kicking yourself because 3rd is well within striking distance of winning. You can sleep well knowing you've done what you could.

Regards,

C.C.~~would expect nothing less from Jim.

RedHell
09-30-2004, 10:11 PM
Stickman,

In my mind there is no other way then play to win everytime, whatever the circumstances. The cal is one thing the game is another. If you beat the guy you bought in the cal, your only mistake was to buy the wrong guy. If you let him beat you, you display a lack of integrity, wich in my eyes is a bigger mistake.

Good call !

One question, would you have consider dumping if you hadn't bought yourself ?

stickman
09-30-2004, 10:34 PM
I always buy myself, because I play to win, not loose. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif On a few occasions, I've only bought half of myself, when someone went crazy, and I was short of cash. I guess from now on, if I buy someone in the calcutta I'll tell them upfront, that if we match up during the tournament, I'm doing to try to do everything in my power to beat them. If they want it, they have to earn it.

Chris Cass
09-30-2004, 10:44 PM
That goes without saying Jim. If they didn't believe you would they wouldn't buy you in the cal to begin with. I think your looking a bit too much into this. Just know that I wouldn't think twice about the guy. If he feels bad then, that's on him. You came to play and you came to win. What more could anyone expect from you?

I used to feel bad when someone had me in the cal and I lost. Even though I would get half myself. Just like the Open deal. I felt kind of like I let who ever it was down that I didn't win anything. Even though it wasn't expected. I had to rethink it because. I did my best. It just wasn't good enough. That's all I had. I never did catch a gear the entire time or shoot my best. What can I say? Nothing, right?

Regards,

C.C.~~one day I'll win something. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Regards,

C.C.