PDA

View Full Version : Name your All time FAVORITE BOOK about pool?

SnakebyteXX
10-01-2004, 07:10 AM
Almost everyone has one -

Which one is yours and why would you recommend it to others?

Snake

Wally_in_Cincy
10-01-2004, 08:03 AM
McGoorty

<font color="blue">"That little Japanese gal would give you one of them smiles then she'd take them billiard balls and stick 'em right up your pooper" </font color>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Dagwood
10-01-2004, 08:07 AM
Have to say "Hustler Days"...great account of Lassiter, Breit, and Fats.

Dags

PQQLK9
10-01-2004, 08:11 AM
"Playing Off The Rail"

Deeman2
10-01-2004, 08:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> McGoorty

<font color="blue">"That little Japanese gal would give you one of them smiles then she'd take them billiard balls and stick 'em right up your pooper" </font color>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Classic, Great Read, Honest, Historic, Sad and Uplifting, so many good quotes...What else can you say?

Deeman
Also liked "Playing off the Rail"

Perk
10-01-2004, 08:47 AM
"Playing Off The Rail"

trailboss
10-01-2004, 09:00 AM
My books that are instructive include: 99 Critical Shots, Black Belt Billiards, and Play Your Best Pool by Capelle. These books have me in pretty decent shooting shape!

nail
10-01-2004, 05:02 PM
#1 BCA Rule Book ----- You can't play if you don't know the rules!
#2 Byrne's standard book of pool ----- Pretty much everything you need to know scientifically about pool.
#3 The Straight Pool Bible ----- Just what it implies. If you can follow its' simple instructions, you can greatly improve any pool game you play, whether it be 14.1, 9-ball, 8-ball, etc.

NH_Steve
10-02-2004, 04:20 AM
I'd have to go with Eddie Robin's two books on One Pocket
Winning One Pocket &amp; Shots, Moves &amp; Strategy
Not just because they are about my favorite game /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif but because they are both very well done, with nice clear diagrams &amp; good advice plus many very entertaining player stories.

Voodoo Daddy
10-02-2004, 05:40 AM
99 Critical Shots by Ray Martin...'nuff said!!

Voodoo~~~knows thats the book of all knowledge books

woody_968
10-02-2004, 01:24 PM
Playing off the rail.

But I havent read Hustler Days yet.

N8ball
10-02-2004, 03:35 PM
just bought hustler days and really enjoyed it.

as for instructional book, play your best pool....phil capelle.

JimS
10-04-2004, 05:56 AM
Instructional: 99 Critical Shots, Ray Martin, Pleasure of Small Motions by Fancher.

About pool...can't decide between: Playing Off the Rail by McCumber, Cornbread Red by Henning, Buddy Hall: Rags To Rifleman, Then What by WW Woody.

Fred Agnir
10-04-2004, 12:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr> Almost everyone has one -

Which one is yours and why would you recommend it to others?

Snake <hr /></blockquote>

Billiard Encyclopedia - Victor Stein
Winning 1-Pocket - Eddie Robin
Shots Moves Strategies - Eddie Robin
McGoorty (various titles) - Robert Byrne
Great Pool Stories - Robert Byrne

Fred

jungledude51
10-04-2004, 02:01 PM
I enjoyed PLaying off the rail, both of Eddie Robins' books, and of course, "The Green Felt Jungle", lol, 182 pages of pool war stories.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

cuechick
10-04-2004, 03:49 PM
Easy, The Hustler by Walter Tevis, so much better than I expected and I feel better than the movie, for pool players. He was a both an excellent writer and knowledgeable player.
Instruction book "Smart Tennis" by John Murray
Yeah I know, but seriously this is all about the mental game, and has been a big help for me to deal with my toughest opponent, myself.

Bob_Jewett
10-04-2004, 05:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr>99 Critical Shots by Ray Martin...'nuff said!! <hr /></blockquote>
At one time, it was one of the best available, but that's no longer true. It's too bad that Martin didn't fix the errors in it when he had it reprinted in 1993 -- there's a little something wrong with nearly every page.

Barbara
10-05-2004, 06:53 AM
For a non-instructional book, John Grissim's "Hustlers and Heroes, Legends and Lies".

Barbara

Fred Agnir
10-05-2004, 07:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> For a non-instructional book, John Grissim's "Hustlers and Heroes, Legends and Lies".

Barbara <hr /></blockquote> Oh yeah. I can't believe I forgot that one. My favorite chapter in the book is the one-pocket matchup between Jack Breit vs. Gene Nagy.

I had the great pleasure of speaking for a couple of hours on the phone with Gene Nagy. Fabulous man. Tremendous story teller. One of my greatest pool memories.

Fred

Voodoo Daddy
10-06-2004, 03:31 AM
Kato grabbed a copy of that book a couple years ago for X-Mas...great read. I had read that book in 1981 borrowed from a friend, cant believe it took me that long to own a copy!!

Voodoo~~~far from a literary genius but I like to read books without too many pictures

onepocketchump
10-06-2004, 07:52 AM
Rags to Rifleman.

Then Hustler Days, McGoorty and Playing Off the Rail.

Instructional: Haven't kept up with all the new ones so I don't know. Byrne was very influential. Tapes have been more beneficial.

John