PDA

View Full Version : Nine ball soft break systems. Shot #1.

Chopstick
10-01-2004, 07:15 AM
I was curious about the soft breaks I was seeing the pros using so I went to Grady Matthews and ask him about them. He showed me all the systems the pros are using and I thought you guys might be interested in seeing them. It's too much for one post so I'll break it up into several.

The first break is a draw cut break with low outside english. Outside meaning away from the rack. Always break from the side of the rack that the two ball is on. The one ball goes to the side rail, above(to the short side of) the side pocket and heads toward the corner pocket you are standing beside. You are only breaking hard enough to drive the one ball one rail back to the corner. No harder.

The reason you break from the side of the rack that the two ball is on is because the two ball is going to be moving slower than the one ball. It is going to tend to stay on the side of the table that it started on and the one ball will go to the rail and come back to that side of the table. The cue ball stays on that side of the table also and will end up in between the one and two. If you make a ball you will have an easy shot on the one in the corner and easy shape on the two to get you started.

Cue ball path is line A-B. One ball path is line C-D.

START(
%AN7O5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%Pg9W9
%Qa6V3%RN5U9%SS5G5%Tm1U6%UV8D3%VO2O2%WO8P1%Xg1W8%Y r7Z4%ZW6C4
%eA9b4%_R2X7%`N8[3%aO0P0
)END

It is important that the one ball hits the rail above(the short side of) the side pocket. If it hits below(the long side of) the side pocket it will go to the middle of the head rail and park there.

START(
%AN7O5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%Pg9W9
%Qa6V3%RN5U9%SS5G5%Tn8M0%U^5C9%VO2O2%WO8P1%Xg1W8%Y s1O2%Z_4C5
%eA9b4%_R2X7%`N8[3%aO0P0
)END

If the one ball is going long, below the side pocket, you are hitting the one ball too full. Cut the one ball thinner until it goes to the rail above the side pocket. You can adjust your hit fuller or thinner and control where the one ball hits the side rail. The ideal shot hits the rail right beside the side pocket. The other benefit of hitting the rail above the side pocket is that every so often it will go in the side and when it misses the side it will head for the corner and go in there also.

You are giving yourself two legitimate chances to make the one ball in addition to any other ball you might make. That's the other reason you want to stay in the general area of the two ball, just in case. When the one ball goes long it can never go in and shape on it is unlikely.

RichardCranium
10-01-2004, 08:54 AM
Good Info....

Now if your on a table where nothing seems to go no matter what you do, you can park the 1 ball on the rail and they will be left with no easy shot...

Bob_in_Cincy
10-02-2004, 08:28 AM
Where does the 9 tend to go on the first shot? If you don't make a ball & you've given your opponent an easy start on the 1-2, it could be a quick rack ...........

Regards,
Bob