PDA

View Full Version : Playing the Ghost-who uses it?

Eric.
05-15-2002, 01:20 PM
For those that aren't familiar with it:
For 9 ball, you break the rack normally, then take ball in hand after the break. The object is to run-out without missing. Once you miss, game over, as the Ghost gets out from anywhere. A scratch on the break is also a loss.

In a race to 11, I'll avg a score of 11-7 or 8, in favor of the ghost. Obviously there are better days and worse days. I'm curious to hear what other people score.

Eric >seeing ghosts

Eric.
05-15-2002, 01:34 PM

PoolFan
05-15-2002, 01:46 PM
I use this practice, but I don't play with BIH. Playing 9-ball, I have never beaten the Ghost. I have beaten the Ghost at 6-ball, but the matches are always close.

The Ghost is a strong player. I've never seen him miss and he always gives me the breaks.

PoolFan - wishes he could beat the Ghost just once in 9-ball

Thierry Layani
05-15-2002, 01:47 PM
I average about 11-8 11-7 for me. But that's when the ghost is not in shape.
Thierry Layani

Kato
05-15-2002, 02:01 PM
I've beaten the ghost in 6 ball, probably more than I lose. I don't seem to have trouble mapping the table. In 9 ball I will probably lose 11-4 or so, maybe worse if I'm off like 11-2. 10 ball I will rarely get out, losing 11-1, 11-0. I don't play the ghost rotation because I can't count that high.

Kato

Rod
05-15-2002, 03:00 PM
Eric to be honest I don't play the ghost, but with that kind of weight I'd win. Some time ago I practiced Olympic 9 Ball. Play 10 racks, with the same set of rules, except a scratch was not a loss, but the balls did spot back up. The highest score per rack is 10 points on a run out. My average was 80's, with 6 or 7 runouts per session. My highest was 97. No early nine balls, they don't count and have to be spotted.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-15-2002, 04:31 PM
Eric,
I didn't know ball in hand after the break was part of the Ghost rules... maybe I have learned something new..

I thougt that the only advantage you got playing the ghost was the Breaks.

NO Ball IN Hand

TomBrooklyn
05-15-2002, 05:00 PM
If the ghost you know doesn't let you take BIH, Tom, does he let you push out? You are always the first shooter after the break, and I know he always declines to shoot from the push out position.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-15-2002, 05:04 PM
Uh.. NO.. If I don't make anything on the break.. I loose.
The ghost is just a bit better than Efren..

05-15-2002, 08:20 PM
Okay, since Ken obviously fell asleep on this one, I'll take it.
DON"T GIVE UP THE GHOST ON THIS ONE YET GUYS! ( yeah, I feel terrible) Sounds like all of these versions are pretty valid, just that some of you are a little more masochistic than others. Yeah, I can talk. LOL

Eric.
05-16-2002, 07:46 AM
I guess it depends on who is shooting. Personally, not having BIH after the break is too much weight for me to give the Ghost. Once I start beating G on a regular basis, I'll switch to your way. Take care.

Eric

Eric.
05-16-2002, 08:07 AM
Rod,

I'm gonna try Olympic (. What happen's when you scratch on the break? Do you continue to shoot from BIH? Are there any penaltie for scratching(like points taken away)?

Thanks,

Eric

Eric.
05-16-2002, 08:10 AM
I waiting for the day that I don't need the breaks from the G.

See ya at the CCB Open

Eric

Rod
05-16-2002, 10:50 AM
Eric, I play all balls spot on the break if you scratch. No penalty points deducted. Yes it is BIH from there. You can combo an early nine, but it spots and you continue your run.

05-16-2002, 02:33 PM
Obviously there are numerous variations of playing the ghost - depending on what level you play at and how tight the pockets you're playing on. In the very toughest version, it would be the 10-ball ghost and you'd lose if you scratch on the break. I've never heard of losing simply for failing to make a ball on the break - although I guess one could try it. We have one table in here in which if playing that version I'd back the ghost against anyone in the world who'd like to come try.

I prefer the version in which if you scratch on the break, it's still ball-in-hand, however any ball made would be spotted up. There surely needs to be some penalty for scratching. Only if the cue-ball leaves the table would you lose the game. If more than one ball is made, obviously that creates an immediate problem with 2 balls frozen together on the foot spot.

The most important aspect of playing the ghost IMO is how well the balls are spread out off the break - regardless of whether anything is made. Sometimes one seems to go stretches where the balls aren't spreading out well and it's very discouraging - as you must desperately try to break up the clusters before you get to them. Obviously a safety is not an option when playing the ghost.

Just as in playing a very good player who makes you pay dearly for your every mistake, you can't get discouraged, frustrated or start pressing too hard when playing the ghost. Easy to say, but hard to do - especially if some railbird is backing the ghost for $$ against you. If you're having no success at all against the ghost, it's best to find an easier table, alter the rules in your favor and/or try playing the 6-ball ghost. - Chris in NC

Voodoo Daddy
05-16-2002, 05:48 PM
Had the pleasure of watching Cory play the 12 ball ghost in Florida. He broke even but the amazing thing was the way he did it, running the last 5 racks out!!! I never play with the ghost myself...no one to argue with, HAHAHAHAHA!!

Voodoo...plays once a week and refuses to play with an imaginary opponent!!

Scott Lee
05-24-2002, 10:34 AM
Steve...I have heard of the 9-ball ghost, and the 10-ball ghost...even the probability of a rotation ghost (15-balls),
but NEVER heard of a 12-ball ghost! How would that be played (and/or racked)? BTW, this is an extreme sucker bet for 95%+ of all poolplayers. The ghost will win eventually against even seasoned pros.

Scott Lee

Kato
05-24-2002, 11:29 AM
I'm still ticked off that I missed Corey that night. He was strong. I played the 10 ball ghost last night, losing 7-3. What stunk was I was losing 4-1, got my break working, ran 2 straight racks, run the 3rd straight rack to the 10 and dogged it. The ghost won the last 3 racks to take my $$$$$. I then proceeded to lose to the 9 ball ghost 5-2, 5-2. Now I'm broke and the ghost is running around with my dough. My stakehorse is coming back tonight to match me up with "The Ghost" and I'm taking him down.

Kato

cheesemouse
05-24-2002, 08:25 PM
I like to practice the 10-ball ghost simply because it is much tougher than the 9-ball ghost. It is hard to pocket balls on the break in 10b so your nearly always running the ten balls plus after crushing that ten ball rack when you go back to the nineball break somehow your break has improved. I can't imagine beating the ghosts with a full rack of 15 but then I've never tried it.

Drake
05-25-2002, 06:42 AM
I will share this valuable ($$$$$!!!) information with all of you guys on the CCB becuase we are all friends here. If you are playing with BIH rules, The 12 ball ghost is actually easier to play than the 10 ball ghost. I'm sure your asking Why right about now. Doesn't seem logical, right? WRONG, It's one big key factor that changes the game....the break. It's pretty easy to make 2 to 3 balls on the break playing the 12 ball ghost. I even saw Keith Bennett make 7 balls on the break playing the 12 ball ghost. Making 3 balls on the 10 ball triangle configured rack is very very hard. If you don't believe me, go to your local pool table and prove me wrong. You'll be surprised.

Kato
05-25-2002, 07:36 AM
I was playing the 10 ball ghost last night (i lost my set 7-2) and made 3 on the break twice. The other breaks I came up dry for the most part and too many balls got tied up. I broke the 10 in twice as well but I spotted it. That ghost is just too good for me now. I'll try again today, he's got me stuck too much.

Kato

Drake
05-25-2002, 08:34 AM
Find someone to give you some odds,like 3 to 1, and play the 12 ball ghost. Your money will fly back to your pocket. It sounds like you've got a big break Kato....when you play the 12 ball ghost, make sure to rack the two back balls in the first gaps on the back row starting from the corner. The corner balls almost go automatically with a little manipulation of the rack. Good luck and May the force be with you...because playing the ghost can really kill you mentally.

05-25-2002, 05:10 PM
I've been taking on the ghost a lot more lately, with BIH winning by an avg. of 11-4, 11-5. Without, it's about a break-even proposition, giving a slight advantage to the ghost. Playing the ghost in rotation is about break-even also, provided i get BIH.