PDA

View Full Version : World Summit of Pool

9 Ball Girl
10-01-2004, 01:44 PM
First I want to say that it's getting exposure being that it's being held at Grand Central Station's Vanderbilt Hall. A couple of people here at work have approached me about it 'cause they've either seen it advertised in the papers or on some circular. ESPN is also mentioned in the advertisements.

Now, Mika Immonen had a match this morning with Blane Cel which Mika won 11-3. This is an excerpt from coverage from Inside Pool's website:

Cel, ostentatiously clad in scuba goggles, headphones, and a bright orange whistle,

Like, what is that attire all about???

More results from Inside Pool:

Grady Mathews won his match over Martin Rimlinger 11-9, and local player Evan Broxmeyer defeated Jack McGinnis 11-7. Mike Davis won over Edgar Acaba 11-3, and Danny Basavich sent Charlie Williams to the o*ne-loss side with an 11-9 victory. Charlie Bryant sent Tim Hall to the o*ne-loss side 11-2, and Dennis “The Bear” Coulter won his match against Ricky Bingham 11-2.

Rhode Island’s Joey Korsiak, who just placed third at the Eighth Annual New England 9-Ball tournament, defeated Shawn Keaton 11-2, and Canadian Luc Salvas won over Mike Pantojo 11-4. “Rocket” Rodney Morris is going strong with his 11-7 victory over Rob Hart, while Michigan’s Brandon Ashcraft staged an upset over Brooklyn’s Tony Robles 11-5.

Wendy~~~gotta go to bed early tonight! I'm expected there tomorrow at 8 AM! I can barely make it to work on time! /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Steve Lipsky
10-01-2004, 01:51 PM
Hey Wendy. Do you know why AZ is not covering this event? Inside Pool has a few of the recaps, but there's nothing like brackets to really "see" the tournament.

Hope you're having a great time out there,
Steve

9 Ball Girl
10-01-2004, 02:41 PM
I don't know why AZ is not there. I'll have to check when I get there tomorrow. I haven't been yet. I would love to see the brackets too.

Oy, 8 AM tomorrow...

Nostroke
10-01-2004, 10:57 PM
"Rhode Island’s Joey Korsiak, who just placed third at the Eighth Annual New England 9-Ball tournament"

Did he move Wendy or did you mean Long Island? Maybe the move is what he spent that 500K on!!

Harold Acosta
10-02-2004, 08:30 AM
Alan Rolon (Puerto Rico) sent Mika Immonen to the one-loss side.

Mika lost again and is out of the tournament.

snipershot
10-02-2004, 07:02 PM
One of the UPA's biggest events of the year and no brackets?
I heard the crowds were pretty small as well because of high ticket prices.

9 Ball Girl
10-02-2004, 10:29 PM
As far as I know, he's always been in Long Island. Maybe it's a mistake. You can read more updates here (http://www.insidepool.com).

9 Ball Girl
10-02-2004, 10:31 PM
Hi Harold! I was conversing with Alan today and he's out too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif I forgot who it was he was playing but his opponent had made a 9 ball in on the break 4 times! I wonder if it was because he was racking his own. Hmmmmm...

9 Ball Girl
10-02-2004, 10:39 PM
Actually, there were quite a few people there today. I guess they were willing to pay. And tons of people commuting walked by. I was at the contest table where for free, I racked up the 9 balls using the Sardo rack, and the person had to break and get in at least 1 ball to win a t-shirt, 2 balls wins a t-shirt and a deck of Mohegan Sun cards, 3 balls got you a cue. Anyway, as long as they made at least 1 ball, their names were entered into a raffle which will be held later today and the person that was chosen from the raffle will get one chance to try to make the 9 ball in on the break and win $30,000!

Now the majority of the people who tried making any balls were regular commuters who just happened to be walking by.

This is definitely a step in the right direction for Mens pool. UPN 9 was there, ESPN will be there later today and some other camera crew was filming us.

Well, I'm gonna go get some shuteye it's beenn onww hell of a week!

onepocketchump
10-03-2004, 06:38 AM
About Mel's attire: It was complained about by one of the other pros in attendance as being distracting and inappropriate for the event. The guy was allowed to play in that get up in what is supposed to be a showcase for pro pool.

I have to wonder why???????

I can only imagine this byline from a serious sportswriter convering the World Summit. Instead of a good, serious piece on the class and artistry of pro pool we might get something like this;

"Why 'Profesional Pool' is a Joke'." with a large color picture of "UPA Pro" Mel Blane in his pro attire.

Nice showcase. :-( Otherwise, it sounds like there was some great pool. Two things stick out...... 1. The UPA has NO POWER to stop Earl from playing. They grant him a spot because the promoter wanted him but according to their rep they won't allow a woman to play if she is invited by the promoter of an event. Nicely hypocritical. and 2. I speculate that IF Johnny Archer had been the pro who complained about Mel's getup then something would have been done.

Just my 02cts.....

John

Bob
10-03-2004, 06:53 AM
How are the exhibitors doing? Does it seem to be a good show for them? Is the attendance good? This seems like it should have been a great place for this, hope it works out!

Leviathan
10-03-2004, 07:28 AM
Hi, Wendy: That contest table sounds like a great attraction. Any idea how many people are taking a shot at it? I wonder how something like that would do at the DCC, where many spectators compete in side events?

AS

Nostroke
10-03-2004, 08:20 AM
What promotor wanted Earl? Isn't this being promoted by 'Dragon Productions'? That is CW! I assumed Earl joined again, no?

9 Ball Girl
10-03-2004, 09:07 PM
You know, I don't think the exhibitors did great at all. At least from what I saw. Remember, this venue was not an "indoor" type thing where the people who go watch are involved with pool. This was at Grand Central station where you have commuteres passing by 24-7 and they were the ones to go over to the cue booths. I can't see a non pool player admiring a $1,200 stick--let alone buy one!

The attendance seemed to be ok except that for today where they were encouraging folks to fill in the stands--for free.

By the way, some of you may already know this, Earl beat Danny Harriman in a nailbiter match on the hill, Santos Sambojan beat Mike Davis for the hotseat. Mike Davis beat Earl something like 7-1 or 2 I think. Then the finals was Mike and Santos. I left when they started 'cause my back was killing me from all the racking I was doing, so I don't know who won.

9 Ball Girl
10-03-2004, 09:11 PM
The contest table was fun. There were a lot of people taking a shot or two at it. Tons of folks. I met every kind of person you could think of, being that commuters were a majority. Also a lot of Grand Central station workers, some NYPDs, you name it.

The guy that was drawn out of the raffle to try to make the 9 ball in on the break for $30,000 got some pointers from Johnny Archer before breaking. He wound up making the 4 ball in. It'll be on ESPN before the finals.

9 Ball Girl
10-03-2004, 09:12 PM
Surprise surprise. I noticed Earl was wearing a UPA patch today. Hmmmmm....

Jimmy B
10-03-2004, 11:24 PM
Hey Wendy did you see any CCBers there????

JB

9 Ball Girl
10-04-2004, 09:53 AM
Yes. Yes I did.

9 Ball Girl
10-04-2004, 09:59 AM
I saw Jimbo, Fred Agnir, PizzaBob came over and introduced himself to me, Barry Behrman (gives cute lil hugs), Tony Robles (duh!), and Nostroke.

Harold Acosta
10-04-2004, 05:19 PM
It must have been Danny Medina, if my sources are correct. Didn't give Alan a chance with all the lucky rolls he pulled out of nowhere.

Fayerman
10-05-2004, 07:43 AM
You can find some of the photos from this tournament here (http://www.russianny.com/newdesign/db/photo/index_photo.asp?todo=imgs&albumid=3650&galid=3659) . Feel free to reproduce and redistribute. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Steve Lipsky
10-05-2004, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the pics, Fayerman. I live 2 miles from the event and got my first glimpse of it from a Russian website, lol.

Speaking of not supporting the event (as I didn't), it seems no one did. Were the stands really THAT empty for the finals?? That's awful. ESPN is going to have to pull some fancy camera tricks to not show that.

- Steve

Fayerman
10-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Steve,

Actually, most of the people were sitting on the sides for some reason. You can see what I mean by looking at the Earl's pic. Also, many people were standing outside of the playing area. Likewise, the pictures were taken from the outside area by me (unlike Jonathon Smith's, who had the direct access on the playing floor - did he have a press pass?)

In other words, anyone could see the whole tournament for free standing outside. Ocasionally, people were let in the sitting area during the late matches for free.

Elijah. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

PQQLK9
10-05-2004, 08:35 AM
Nice pictures ,thanks for posting.

9 Ball Girl
10-05-2004, 08:49 AM
This was my contest table. I spent countless hours Sardo racking for people to break and try to get at least 1 ball in. You can imagine my back pain after 2 days of doing this. I think I totally messed up my mental game after racking so much, I felt like I was losing! LOL

http://www.russianny.com/Photos002/242236/3650/3659/m_7442795D5B3D45E6AFA1CBB05DC2D93C.jpg

Thanks for the pics!

Fayerman
10-05-2004, 08:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> This was my contest table. I spent countless hours Sardo racking for people to break and try to get at least 1 ball in. You can imagine my back pain after 2 days of doing this. I think I totally messed up my mental game after racking so much, I felt like I was losing! LOL

Thanks for the pics! <hr /></blockquote>

You did a great job! I was glad to pot the 9-ball on my first try. I definitely would have shared $30k with you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

9 Ball Girl
10-05-2004, 08:57 AM
It's funny that you should say that 'cause they only started to ask people to fill in the bleacher areas for Sundays matches which is when ESPN showed up. I sat and watched Earl and Danny H. play and I was talking to Finnegan who was sitting next to me and he had pointed out to me that the bleachers on the other side were full of people who we did not recognize in the pool world, be it players or industry folks, except for 2 that we knew.

The majority of the folks were regular passersby, especially outside of the arena where you can still see everything without having to pay, which was a godsend when you think about it. I was told that an all day ticket was about $70! They also had a row of seats (the kind of seats that movie directors use) that were called the "Commuter Special" seats--$10 an hour.

9 Ball Girl
10-05-2004, 09:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fayerman:</font><hr>You did a great job! I was glad to pot the 9-ball on my first try. I definitely would have shared $30k with you. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>I definitely would've expected a gapper! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You know, people say that poolplayers are a bunch of characters. Yes, that's true. But if you only knew of the nonpool playing characters that I had to rack for! Ay yi yi!

Fred Agnir
10-05-2004, 11:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fayerman:</font><hr> Steve,

Actually, most of the people were sitting on the sides for some reason. <hr /></blockquote>Nobody sat in the seats behind the ESPN camera because... the ESPN camera was mostly in the way.

The rest of the stand were pretty full.

Fred