Groups:
http://www.wpa-pool.com/fujairah04/oncov-fujairah-04.htm

Final rounds:
http://www.wpa-pool.com/fujairah04/oncov-fujairahsingle-04.htm

Winner:
Efren Reyes (PHI)

thecardman
10-03-2004, 06:29 AM
And let's be honest, are we surprised that Efren won the World 8-Ball? I'm not!

Best wishes

thecardman
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bob_Jewett
10-31-2004, 07:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote thecardman:</font><hr> And let's be honest, are we surprised that Efren won the World 8-Ball? I'm not! <hr /></blockquote>
(OK, so it's a little late to respond...)
But what is surprising is that there were no Americans there, although there seems to have been $100,000 in prizes. Even Aruba sent a player! /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Chris Cass
10-31-2004, 08:01 PM
Hey Bob,

Does it have anything to do with polotics? As far as not sending any Americans goes.

Regards,

C.C.

RailbirdJAM
11-01-2004, 03:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>...Does it have anything to do with politics? As far as not sending any Americans goes.<hr /></blockquote>

Chris, at the recent Open, I received a call on my cell about this tournament, and Keith got an invite, which was greatly appreciated. However, KM had committed himself to some other upcoming tournaments which required monies to be posted up front, and sadly, we were not financially able to swing a tournament in Saudi Arabia at that time. The promoters of the World 8-Ball Championship go out of their way to accommodate the American players, past and present, and I am sure they would have really liked to have had American pool players in this field.

Corey Deuel was sitting nearby me when I received the call sitting in the restaurant at the Chesapeake Beach Holiday Inn, and he spoke to the gentleman on my cell phone and was all for going to this magnificant event.

However, when Corey realized that this Saudi Arabian tournament was occurring at the same time as the World Summit of Pool, he desired and maybe was already committed to go to NYC and compete, as did the rest of the American UPA members. Most of the younger players I have spoken to have expressed a desire to appear on TV in hopes to further their pool-playing careers, and when they hear that ESPN is going to be on site, they want to have the opportunity to get some air time.

BTW, as an aside, have you noticed lately that Corey Deuel wins just about every ring game he plays in? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

If you remember, last year the World Summit of Pool was occurring at the same time as this Saudi Arabia tournament as well.

This area in Saudi Arabia, from what I hear, is a very affluent part of the world, which must have provided a very nice venue for the 8-ball tourney. Some players are sponsored, which really helps fray off the expenditures of overseas tournaments.

Both tournaments, the World 8-Ball Championship in Saudi Arabia and the Amber Bock World Summit of Pool, are very prestigious events. Hopefully, next year they will not be scheduled on the same dates.

Chris, are you going to the Glass City Open in Toledo, Ohio, on November 10-14?
Railbird JAM's Pictures from 2002 and 2003 Glass City Open in Toledo (http://hometown.aol.com/jamalloy/prevglasscityopen.html)

RailbirdJAM

Wally_in_Cincy
11-01-2004, 07:16 AM
RailbirdJAM, I don't want to nitpick but the tourney was not in Saudi Arabia but rather in the United Arab Emirates which is a different country.

And yes you are correct it is a very affluent country, and with oil at $50+ a barrel it is getting even wealthier /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

RailbirdJAM
11-01-2004, 08:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> RailbirdJAM, I don't want to nitpick, but the tourney was not in Saudi Arabia but rather in the United Arab Emirates, which is a different country.

And yes you are correct it is a very affluent country, and with oil at $50+ a barrel it is getting even wealthier /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the correction, Wally_in_Cincy! I went on Google and gave myself a geography lesson after I read your post. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

For the life of me, I don't know how or why I thought the tourney was in Saudi Arabia. I contemplated a work trip to Saudi Arabia last year to provide assistance to an economic world summit conference, and I must have Saudi Arabia on my mind (LOL). I could not go, but my girlfriend and co-worker went and said it was one of the most beautiful places she's ever been to on the face of the earth! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I commented to Bustamante at the Open that it must be hard on a pool player to fly to these far-away places around the globe and then play your best in a tourney, jet lag and all, and he said, indeed, the long flights were very difficult. I was happy to see him do so well in the 8-ball tournament. It looked like it was a very tough field.

RailbirdJAM

PQQLK9
11-01-2004, 09:14 AM
Quote Wally_in_Cincy:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
RailbirdJAM, I don't want to nitpick, but the tourney was not in Saudi Arabia but rather in the United Arab Emirates, which is a different country.

And yes you are correct it is a very affluent country, and with oil at $50+ a barrel it is getting even wealthier
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't mind Wally. it's election eve and the Repubs are nervous /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.