PDA

View Full Version : Strickland is a jerk??...Go To Hell !!!

Fleece3
10-02-2004, 01:14 AM
I just returned from the summit of pool. First of all. Stricklands play was UNREAL, the man made one mistake the entire match, and he NEVER shot a safety. He won 11-2. It was simple, if Strickland got to the table, he ran out, period. After the match I found myself standing next to him. I was very nervous about starting a conversion with him based upon the things I had heard regarding his personality. Finally, I worked up the nerve to say something. He was the nicest guy. At one point he even said, "lets step outside, I want to have a smoke" We talked about his one mistake, and the status of pool to the mass public in general. He was awesome. I have seen him "blow up" in the past. I believe, people know he is volatile and press his buttons. But hey, if you flip the light switch, don't curse the bulb for lighting up!!!

PQQLK9
10-02-2004, 02:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fleece3:</font><hr> At one point he even said, "lets step outside, I want to have a smoke" <hr /></blockquote>
I did not know he smokes.

highsea
10-02-2004, 04:02 AM
That's cool. Nice to hear that he's not always a time bomb.

The man can shoot some pool, if he could just cultivate this image...

Aw, well, if pigs had wings....

RichardCranium
10-02-2004, 07:05 AM
I don't mean to criticize, but perhaps the Subject Title should be "Strickland is a Jerk???..Think Again....

My first impression when I saw the title was....Oh here we go...another Strickland Bashing...I almost did not even read the thread because of that...(I see where you were going, but your intent may get skipped over)....but then again who am I to tell you what to do... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think the deal with Earl is that when he is playing a match....He is not focused on being "politically correct" so to speak....There was just a thread on that type of subject here where a person told a captain to "F" "OFF" after a match....This person could possibly be the nicest person in the room, but because for an instant they were not caught up in the match and not thinking about being politically correct....That person came across as a "Hot Head" and a poor sport...There are people like that in every sport...."Poker Phill", "Tennis Mac",..."Earl the Pearl"....etc......I have fallen into that catagory from time to time.....You miss something stupid...the other guy gets a roll...makes some comment....your not thinking...and......"BANG" ....."Open mouth, Insert Foot"

I personally love to see Earl play...Its more than how good he plays....Its more the "Flow or Rythum" of his game...

Chris Cass
10-02-2004, 08:32 AM
Well,

I know another Earl and he's the same way when things are going his way. JAT

C.C.

Cueless Joey
10-02-2004, 11:00 AM
Talk to Earl after he lost a match.
Let's see if he's as friendly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Williebetmore
10-02-2004, 11:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fleece3:</font><hr> But hey, if you flip the light switch, don't curse the bulb for lighting up!!! <hr /></blockquote>

Unfortunately, we live in a society where apologies and excuses are considered an adequate explanation for bad behavior. I love watching Earl play, but I sure wouldn't want my kids to behave like him. Just because bad behavior is not continuous does not mean it is justified.

At the largest mental institution in North Carolina, they have a ward for the violently and criminally insane (attendants are very large men in white coats). On the walls all along the corridors is painted the message in large letters, "Mental illness is no excuse for bad behavior." More words to live by.

SPetty
10-02-2004, 04:01 PM
Were you also close enough to tell if Earl was being quiet and respectful to his opponent while playing his matches? (I've seen him in person several times now, and haven't yet seen that behavior...)

cueball1950
10-02-2004, 05:01 PM
well let me say this about Earl. I have always said that away from the table that earl is a different person. I have said over and over that he is the most misunderstood person out there playing pool. Yes he is volatile and he is crass at times. But i have talked with him both before and after matches. And yes at times when he has lost a close match. He loves this game we all love. Maybe just a tad to much for people to understand......................mike

Pelican
10-02-2004, 06:37 PM
I met Mr. Strickland at the BCA Expo in New Orleans a few years back. He was extremely friendly and went out of his way to answer questions and seemed to have fun playing against folks that were lucky enough to get a shot at him. Perhaps he just takes the game too serious when he plays in big tournaments. I mean, you would think he is trying to make a living doing it or something.

Incidently, there was another name player at the same expo that could have used some PR lessons from Mr Strickland. Name was Mike something-or-another. Appeared to think that his poo-poo didn't stink.

cueball1950
10-02-2004, 09:01 PM
ah pelican....you gotta be talking about mike (my poop don't stink and i'm better than anybody alive)Sigel. Now that is arrogance at its best. Asked mike for an autograph 1 day and he said sure, 10 bucks. Never did get his autograph....................................mike

Deeman2
10-03-2004, 06:58 AM
I agree, Mike can be arrogant but he does treat his opponents with dignity, at least in every case I have seen over the years. He has even taken some time with me, at no cost, on occasion and I have found him to be a pretty nice guy considering he's from Baltimore. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I really like Earl and know he is very competitive. However, some of the things he says are just over the top and not fair to opponents during a match. It's tough enough to play a world champion, even without the sharking noises.

Deeman
would trade two Mike Sigels and an Earl Strickland autograph for one Efren.....

JimS
10-03-2004, 07:08 AM
"Mental illness is no excuse for bad behavior." More words to live by. <hr /></blockquote>

.......and even if mental illness or something else were considered to be an excuse for bad behavior there would still be "consequences". There will always be consequences...positive or negative...there will ALWAYS be consequences.

Pelican
10-03-2004, 06:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr> Asked mike for an autograph 1 day and he said sure, 10 bucks. Never did get his autograph....................................mike <hr /></blockquote>

Geez why not? Surely his signature is worth 10 bucks - maybe to HIM! You would think that someone would be glad that folks thought enough of them to ask for their autograph. Only autograph I would pay for - Bill Gates - and then only if it was on the signature line of a blank check /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later, Pel

Jimmy B
10-03-2004, 11:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Were you also close enough to tell if Earl was being quiet and respectful to his opponent while playing his matches? (I've seen him in person several times now, and haven't yet seen that behavior...) <hr /></blockquote>

In his match against MD for 3rd he leered over several times and made many comments about how lucky Mike was getting, but IMO the fact that Mike won made up for it, that and the 4 wing shots he fired in before the match, just awesome!!!!!

JB

Jimmy B
10-03-2004, 11:28 PM
On further review I'm not sure if he leered over or leared over, but I do know he gave many dirty looks and said a ton under his breath, it was nice to see.

JB

poolguy123
10-11-2004, 07:41 AM
I watched the tapes of the $100,000 race to 120 he played against Efren. Not only did he come off as a jerk- it was personally embarrassing to be thought of as coming from the same country as Earl /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
That being said- for 3/4 of the match he shot like GOD!

JimS
10-11-2004, 07:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolguy123:</font><hr> I watched the tapes of the $100,000 race to 120 he played against Efren. Not only did he come off as a jerk- it was personally embarrassing to be thought of as coming from the same country as Earl /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
That being said- for 3/4 of the match he shot like GOD! <hr /></blockquote>

Having watched his antics from just a few feet away this weekend I agree 100% with your assertion that it's embarrassing to be thought of as coming from the same country, and I don't care how good a guy shoots, he shouldn't be allowed to act the way Earl did this weekend and still get to play the match. He should be disqualified when he acts that way. You and I would be kicked out of any play and any tournament we played in for acting the way he does.