PDA

View Full Version : One Pocket: How to make a ball on the break.

Chopstick
10-03-2004, 09:21 AM
First off, I didn't invent this. It's been around for years. What I did come up with is the pre-requisite shot that you have to master to get it to work. I have to give the credit to Grady Matthews. Hanging around him, I have learned how he looks at shots and analyses them. I believe that he is one of the greatest minds in the game today, maybe ever. I have trouble with the shot myself so, as a test case I taught it to an APA ranked six in eight ball and he could do it in five minutes. So here goes. Let me know how you do with it. I am still looking for an easier way.

Step #1:

99% of all the one pocket breaks I have ever seen the head ball is hit too thick. So, first you have to be able to do this cut shot or it will never work.

START(
%AN7O5%Pg8Z0%WN9D3%XN6O4%YO4P7%Zg6Z0%eC4`4

)END

The one ball must hit the rail at or above(the thin side) of the middle diamond. If you can't do it consistently, forget it. You'll never get this break to work. Get this shot grooved before you go to step two or you'll just frustrate yourself.

Step #2:

Years ago I was shown this one pocket break exercise but, I never got it to work. Recently, I picked it up again and I discovered Step #1 that makes it all possible. Take three balls and put them in a triangle. The actual shot is to cut the one ball to one inch below the middle diamond. This will vary from table to table, but never more than one inch thicker or thinner. I know I just told you to practice a shot which is too thin. The reason is when you get other balls involved, you are going to hit it too thick. If you have already grooved the capability to hit it too thin, it is easier to back off to the thick side, than to go from too thick to thin enough. When you cut the one ball correctly, the corner ball will go straight in the corner pocket.

START(
%AN7O5%EM7P1%HM7N8%Ph1Z3%WO2P5%Xh0Z4%YN3B8%ZN8O2%[D0D1%\M7N7
%eC2`5
)END

How to judge misses. This shot has built in feed back about how you hit the shot. This is the shot when the one ball is hit too thick.

START(
%AM1I4%EE7Q0%HE7H9%Ph1Z3%WO2P5%Xh0Z4%YL3B9%ZN8O2%[C0F6%\M7N7
%eC2`5
)END

The corner ball will head to the foot rail. This will be most of the misses.

This is the shot missed too thin.

START(
%AN7O5%EG0O6%HG8D6%Ph1Z3%WO2P5%Xh0Z4%YO6B6%ZN8O2%[F8C4%\M7N7
%eC2`5
)END

The corner ball will go to the side rail. This is missing to the good side.

Step #3:

When you make the corner ball, of the three ball rack, twice in a row. Rack up all fifteen and do the same thing. For some reason, that I don't understand, the fifteen ball rack will react in exactly the same way as the three ball rack. The corner ball will go in the corner and when you miss, the corner ball will go to the same rails that it did in the three ball rack.

The racks don't have to be perfect, just decent. There seems to a margin of error that I don't understand either. Even if you don't make the ball, you will be able to consistently throw the corner ball right at (within a half diamond) of the corner pocket and in one pocket a ball in the door is as good as made.

Troy
10-03-2004, 10:01 AM
You should post this on http://www.onepocket.org/forum/index.php /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> First off, I didn't invent this. It's been around for years. What I did come up with is the pre-requisite shot that you have to master to get it to work. I have to give the credit to Grady Matthews. Hanging around him, I have learned how he looks at shots and analyses them. I believe that he is one of the greatest minds in the game today, maybe ever. I have trouble with the shot myself so, as a test case I taught it to an APA ranked six in eight ball and he could do it in five minutes. So here goes. Let me know how you do with it. I am still looking for an easier way.

Step #1:

99% of all the one pocket breaks I have ever seen the head ball is hit too thick. So, first you have to be able to do this cut shot or it will never work.

START(
%AN7O5%Pg8Z0%WN9D3%XN6O4%YO4P7%Zg6Z0%eC4`4

)END

The one ball must hit the rail at or above(the thin side) of the middle diamond. If you can't do it consistently, forget it. You'll never get this break to work. Get this shot grooved before you go to step two or you'll just frustrate yourself.

Step #2:

Years ago I was shown this one pocket break exercise but, I never got it to work. Recently, I picked it up again and I discovered Step #1 that makes it all possible. Take three balls and put them in a triangle. The actual shot is to cut the one ball to one inch below the middle diamond. This will vary from table to table, but never more than one inch thicker or thinner. I know I just told you to practice a shot which is too thin. The reason is when you get other balls involved, you are going to hit it too thick. If you have already grooved the capability to hit it too thin, it is easier to back off to the thick side, than to go from too thick to thin enough. When you cut the one ball correctly, the corner ball will go straight in the corner pocket.

START(
%AN7O5%EM7P1%HM7N8%Ph1Z3%WO2P5%Xh0Z4%YN3B8%ZN8O2%[D0D1%\M7N7
%eC2`5
)END

How to judge misses. This shot has built in feed back about how you hit the shot. This is the shot when the one ball is hit too thick.

START(
%AM1I4%EE7Q0%HE7H9%Ph1Z3%WO2P5%Xh0Z4%YL3B9%ZN8O2%[C0F6%\M7N7
%eC2`5
)END

The corner ball will head to the foot rail. This will be most of the misses.

This is the shot missed too thin.

START(
%AN7O5%EG0O6%HG8D6%Ph1Z3%WO2P5%Xh0Z4%YO6B6%ZN8O2%[F8C4%\M7N7
%eC2`5
)END

The corner ball will go to the side rail. This is missing to the good side.

Step #3:

When you make the corner ball, of the three ball rack, twice in a row. Rack up all fifteen and do the same thing. For some reason, that I don't understand, the fifteen ball rack will react in exactly the same way as the three ball rack. The corner ball will go in the corner and when you miss, the corner ball will go to the same rails that it did in the three ball rack.

The racks don't have to be perfect, just decent. There seems to a margin of error that I don't understand either. Even if you don't make the ball, you will be able to consistently throw the corner ball right at (within a half diamond) of the corner pocket and in one pocket a ball in the door is as good as made.

<hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn
10-03-2004, 11:04 AM
The problem with most one pocket breaks is you can not get a perfect hit from the distance you break from every time, not even pros. Danny Diliberto does a thing where he will give you almost any number of balls you want if he gets to break with ball in hand. He puts the cue ball about a foot from the rack and makes the corner ball almost every time and runs out. Too bad you can't hit the rack with that kind of precision from the other end of the table.

Chris Cass
10-03-2004, 11:12 AM
Hi Troy,

They all know this at onepocket.org Most one pocket players know this break and a few others. This is the best break imho to break. Grady, could answer most any questions concerning one pocket but it's nice to know that Chops is willing to share his knowledge with everyone here. The point I like is that Chops was very thourough(sp) in explaining it to the non-one pocket begining players like Kato. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif J/K Missing that kid. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chopstick
10-03-2004, 12:01 PM
Thanks for you input guys. I did post this on onepocket.org also. I showed this break to Buddy Hall. He told me that he just aims straight at the second ball and ignores the head ball. Even though it is an easier way to aim it is still too thick. So, taking the Grady approach I figured there ought to a spot on the table that is easy to locate where you can aim directly at the second ball and make the other corner ball. I found it. It's right here.

START(
%AN7O5%EM7P1%HM7N8%P[4X6%WO3Q3%X\6[5

)END

It's just inside a line from the point of the side pocket straight to the second ball. On the center string, just a fraction over a half diamond out from the side pocket. That must be what Danny D is doing.

Popcorn
10-03-2004, 01:20 PM
I am not sure what Danny does, other then since he is only a foot from the rack he can make a perfect hit. Now that I think about it though, he may be hitting from a angle you could not get from behind the line.

hondo
10-04-2004, 07:27 AM
I often make a ball on the break when I hit high
on the the front ball while splitting the 1st &amp;
2nd ball. But if you get a bad rack you're screwed.
Plus, I hit it pretty solid.

Chris Cass
10-04-2004, 10:05 AM
Not trying, to be too critical but the word is, Firm not Solid. Remember, this game is refered to as our mistress. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C.C.

hondo
10-05-2004, 05:27 AM
Good point.

Bob_Jewett
10-05-2004, 02:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr> First off, I didn't invent this. ... <hr /></blockquote>
The standard break (thin on the head ball with inside) often puts a ball in. The problem is that no two racks are identical since all the balls are varying sizes and shapes to a large enough extent that it affects which balls are touching each other. Since you are depending on the timing of two different chain reactions to make the corner ball move towards your pocket, and variation along those chains will change the timing.

Maybe you can improve your chances by hitting thinner than usual on the head ball, but that leads to other problems.