PDA

View Full Version : Knowing you can beat your opponent.

nineball33
10-03-2004, 11:45 PM
Ive been playing the guys that come out all the time an they will gambel with me and I know i can beat them but I always fluff off while playing sets for money with them, the only time I start running balls is when im behind in the set.I still win but is it good to play at their level(is it good for my game for when ill go play better players where I caint afford to give any games ayay). /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Stretch
10-04-2004, 05:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nineball33:</font><hr> Ive been playing the guys that come out all the time an they will gambel with me and I know i can beat them but I always fluff off while playing sets for money with them, the only time I start running balls is when im behind in the set.I still win but is it good to play at their level(is it good for my game for when ill go play better players where I caint afford to give any games ayay). /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

It's called a "race" to whatever. Not a tour, or stroll, or pastime. If you need the challenge, then give them wieght. There's only one habit that you should entertain in your game. That is playing your best speed every time out. Your a drag racer buddy. Peddle down,fu#k the scenery,Win. St

Deeman2
10-04-2004, 06:22 AM
Nineball33:

As you well know, I always know I can beat my opponent. The problem is, they don't always agree! (nor cooperate) /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Deeman

Billy_Bob
10-04-2004, 10:27 AM
We have a A+ player who knew he could always beat me easily. And he assumed he could, so he didn't try very hard while playing me one night. He didn't know that I had been practicing and that I was not the same player. I beat him in the first round, then did it again in the second round. (Race to two.)

I do this too. I'll direct my energy toward the better players and assume I'll easily beat the lesser skilled players. Well I beat the better players and lose to the lesser skilled players!

The first lesson I learned is that I can beat *anyone* if the conditions are right. It can happen! (Don't be intimidated.)

The second lesson I learned was that *anyone* can beat me if the conditions ar right. (Play my best game for all players, even the worst...)

Chris Cass
10-04-2004, 10:35 AM
Raise the bet. Never play comfortable.

C.C.

Williebetmore
10-04-2004, 10:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nineball33:</font><hr> is it good to play at their level <hr /></blockquote>

NB33,
NO, NO, NO!!! To me, the whole devilish secret of pool is that the real challenge is playing at your highest level, every single shot. The pro's will rarely make a shot I can't duplicate with a fair percentage, but they surely miss the easier shots less often - and it is that mental discipline that sets them apart from us mortals. Anything that encourages you to play/focus at less than your maximum is slowing your development. JMO

Popcorn
10-04-2004, 11:09 AM
I have not read any of the other posts but I would suggest if you are a good player get in the habit of giving weight and playing all out all the time. You are not fooling anyone if it is where you play regularly and it makes you a double tough player. Even if you don't win much money the payoff is there in the long run.

Deeman2
10-04-2004, 01:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I have not read any of the other posts but I would suggest if you are a good player get in the habit of giving weight and playing all out all the time. You are not fooling anyone if it is where you play regularly and it makes you a double tough player. Even if you don't win much money the payoff is there in the long run. <hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn,

Great Advice!

I fell into this trap a few years ago and it killed my game. If you want to dump a game, for whatever reason, don't just slap at a ball. Plan your miss with the same concentration as if you had to make it. You can intentionally rattle a pocket but if you just poke at the balls to miss, you'll develop that in your stroke. Scott Lee has really helped me with this.

I developed it mostly from playing my wife as she does not take too well to racking every game and watching. What I am now trying to do is think, "I'll miss left 2 inches or I'll shoot the hard angle or bank." The secret is to still concentrate and do exactly what you want on each shot. Does this make sense?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Deeman

Sid_Vicious
10-04-2004, 02:40 PM
Good advice, and I'd add that the one about giving a bigger spot is fine also. I know some players who will only play even up, no spot, and these guys are heads and shoulders above my game but won't extend themselves either because they are too worried about losing even a small amount of cash or else they seem preachy, "If you can't play me heads-up, I don't want to play you." I say "If you know you are far superior and not toss a spot to the weaker player, then you are not testing yourself enough." sid

Fasteddy7
10-04-2004, 02:47 PM
It is really amazing to shoot a shot just like you planned. whether you are making it or not. I think this really reinforces the pre-shot routine. I have been working on my pre-shot routine and I can tell you, you just cant practice pre-shot routine too much. pre-shot pre-shot pre-shot routine!!!!

woody_968
10-04-2004, 03:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nineball33:</font><hr>(is it good for my game for when ill go play better players where I caint afford to give any games ayay). /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

There are few players that can easily and automatically raise there game when playing the better players. For most people they are better off ALWAYS trying to play at their best level. If you dont want to give up weight then just concentrate on playing the table and not your opponent!

Keep track of mistakes (small mental notes, dont dwell on them) and if you are getting out when you are supposed to get out. This should help your concentration. Of course if you do this very well they will probably start asking for weight anyway /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Popcorn
10-04-2004, 04:02 PM

"If you can't play me heads-up, I don't want to play you."

That always makes me laugh. They insult you for not playing, yet are completely unwilling to take even a fraction the risk they are asking you to take. Who is the real coward. They will actually woof at players yet seem totally oblivious that they are complete nits themselves.

SpiderMan
10-05-2004, 07:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> If you want to dump a game, for whatever reason, don't just slap at a ball. Plan your miss with the same concentration as if you had to make it. You can intentionally rattle a pocket but if you just poke at the balls to miss, you'll develop that in your stroke. Scott Lee has really helped me with this.

I developed it mostly from playing my wife as she does not take too well to racking every game and watching. What I am now trying to do is think, "I'll miss left 2 inches or I'll shoot the hard angle or bank." The secret is to still concentrate and do exactly what you want on each shot. Does this make sense?
Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

Makes sense IF your wife doesn't read this!!!!!!

SpiderMan

Deeman2
10-05-2004, 07:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> If you want to dump a game, for whatever reason, don't just slap at a ball. Plan your miss with the same concentration as if you had to make it. You can intentionally rattle a pocket but if you just poke at the balls to miss, you'll develop that in your stroke. Scott Lee has really helped me with this.

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

Makes sense IF your wife doesn't read this!!!!!!

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Oh Crap!

Foiled Again!

Deeman