PDA

View Full Version : A letter to Lucky

Kato
10-04-2004, 06:36 AM
I don't know if you remember or not but about 11 1/2 years ago I picked you up at the Broward County Animal Shelter and you were about 2 years old. You were skinny and scared. Your card said your name was "Lucky" and you were a "gift". The first time I looked in your big, brown eyes I knew you were special. You went for your first ride in my car that day. For 11 years you were my best friend and protector. You hated it when other animals came near me because I was your human. But you loved all the other humans.

I just want you to know that I'm sorry but I did it for your own good. You couldn't walk right anymore and I know you couldn't have fun like you wanted. I agonized for the "right" time but it really was never the right time. I want you to know that I'll always love you dearly and I hope you'll still protect me from up on high. Please forgive me Angel Face so that I can forgive myself.

RIP. Lucky Benoit, October 4, 2004

Kato

Rich R.
10-04-2004, 07:04 AM
I'm sorry for your loss of a true friend.

PQQLK9
10-04-2004, 07:14 AM
Gee Kato ,I feel your pain /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif .Cheer up buddy because you were a good Dog Daddy. My Lhaso Apso (Fresca) turned 10 in July.
Oh by the way ,our Redskins need help. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Leviathan
10-04-2004, 07:25 AM
I'm sorry for your loss, Kato. He was a good friend to you, and you were a good friend to him.

Alan

eg8r
10-04-2004, 07:36 AM
Kato,

Sorry for your loss.

eg8r

Tom_In_Cincy
10-04-2004, 10:23 AM
RJ,
Great letter to a good friend.

I share your experience. My 3 special friends all passed within a year. A mother, daughter and stranger all entered my life with joy and continued to fulfill that special feeling that only animals and humans can enjoy.

Naomi, Chessy and Jake were my 3 dogs. Naomi (mother) Chessy (daughter) and Jake the 'stranger'(he just wondered into my yard and we became friends). I still have their pictures hanging on the walls of my home, reminding me of great times.

It's been 18 years and I still remembert them as 'family'

Barbara
10-04-2004, 10:46 AM
Kato,

I'm sorry to hear you lost another friend. I hope your grief lessens with each passing day and is replaced by the fond memories you have of him.

Barbara

9 Ball Girl
10-04-2004, 12:16 PM
That's a beautiful letter. I'm sorry for your loss. My dog Kojak now has a new friend.

Chris Cass
10-04-2004, 12:20 PM
Hi Kato,

I know how much your animals mean to you and you've always spoke so highly of Lucky. I wish there were something, I could say to help you with this pain your feeling but the truth is, that Lucky will not have to suffer any more.

I've been missing you my friend but this isn't the way I really wanted to talk with again. I'll say a special for Lucky.

Regards,

C.C.~~go with God.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-04-2004, 12:22 PM
It sounds like your dog had a good owner so his name fits.

Wally <~~ been there /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Qtec
10-04-2004, 12:29 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Q

There,s no better friend than your dog.

Voodoo Daddy
10-06-2004, 03:12 AM
You did the right thing by that dog its whole life with you...feel no pain brother, just feel the love that Lucky gave you that will never go away

Voodoo~~~has two one year old Pekingnese's...wanna be an uncle?

cueball1950
10-06-2004, 02:31 PM
RJ.....what can i say. they give so much love for so little in return. Just a little food, love and affection and they are your friend for life......you did what was best for him. That makes you his best friend.................mike

Kato
10-09-2004, 06:24 PM
Thanks everyone for your heartfelt support. Lucky was a wonderful pet and friend. She was everything I ever needed. She will be sorely missed.

Now we move on. Today I adopted a 3 year old female yellow lab from the Broward Country Humane Society named "Pelusa". Her owners were moving out of the country and they just dropped her off yesterday. She's going to be a challenge because she's not housebroken and was an outside dog all her life. To their (previous owners) credit she was obviously well taken care of. For a lab she's very small (around 40 pounds) but is not skinny. Tomorrow she's getting fixed and I'll be able to pick her up on Monday.

Wish me luck, I'm very excited about my future with my new daughter. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~Voodoo, I would be thrilled to be your little ones "honorary" uncle /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

9 Ball Girl
10-09-2004, 09:01 PM
You'll have nothing but fun with your new lab. I had a yellow lab male, Buddy, and I miss very much. He's now a suburban (Long Island) dog living a much better life than what I was giving him here in NY.

Don't worry about housebreaking her. She'll do just fine. They are a VERY smart breed. I'd taken mine to obedience training, had him registered with the AKC (Wendy's Buddy of Kensington), had him neutured (so sad!) and even had playdates with another Lab here in my building.

Anyway, have fun and I know a whole lot about Labs so feel free to ask!

SPetty
10-10-2004, 06:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> had him neutured (so sad!) <hr /></blockquote>Knowing so much about Labs like you do, I'm really surprised you would include the words (so sad!) following the word neutered.

What's really so sad is the number of unwanted dogs and cats that are born and killed. Killed by shelters if they're lucky, killed by cars, disease, shotguns, drownings, neglect if they're not.

Spaying and neutering is the only answer for responsible humans. As a responsible pet owner, there's really no reason nor excuse for bringing more animals into this world.

What's really so sad that there's still folks out there that don't understand that it's in the best interest of their pet and themselves to neuter their pet.

The best dog I ever had was my yellow lab Goldie. She was pushing 90 pounds (she was starved as a pup, so ate a bit more than she should), but she was the sweetest, smartest, bestest doggie I knew.

Spay and Neuter
(c) Copyright 1998-2000, PetRescue.Com.

Did You Know?

Every day 70,000 puppies and kittens are born in this country while only 10,000 people are born.
It's simple math - there just arenít enough homes for all of these animals.
Every year 10-12 million animals are euthanized in shelters for lack of available homes.
On average, 64% of all animals taken into shelters nationwide have to be euthanized for this reason.
At least 50% of the overpopulation problem is non-neutered males. Females canít do it alone.
Purebreds account for 30% of all the animals in shelters. "Papers" donít mean an animal should be bred.
For every home you find for an animal that you have bred, a home is lost for a shelter animal.
Breeding to "see the miracle of birth" demands that you also "see the tragic results". Visit a shelter.
Animal overpopulation has reached a crisis point in this country.
You personally can make a difference by spaying or neutering your pet. It is the single most important thing you can do to prevent animal cruelty!
More Reasons:
Spaying or neutering your pet provides many practical benefits as well as preventing animal overpopulation: your pet is more content and far less likely to roam, bite, scratch, fight, mark territory or develop uterine, mammary or testicular cancer.
The latest medical findings indicate that your pet, male or female, will be healthier and live a longer life if it is spayed or neutered.

9 Ball Girl
10-10-2004, 08:05 AM
"So Sad" meaning the look he gave me when they took him towards the back (I guess to wear they prep them) and I turned away towards the exit. I turned and looked at him and he had his ears all the way down and although Labs have that Awww look about them, this was really an Awwwwww moment.

I'm totally for neuturing. I agree with you. And just for the record, Buddy was still quite the humper after being neutured! LOL Him and his bed were inseperable!

Kato
10-11-2004, 05:02 PM
Wendy, my family has had Golden Retrievers and Labs for the last 25 years or so. I'm extremely familiar with the breed /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif My new little girl is exhausted and sleeping on my couch. This may just be the only breed that I would have taken in that wasn't house trained. You're right though, they are very smart dogs.

All my dogs have been spade and that's the way I would want it. I understand breeders and the business side of it and I'm certainly not against them as long as it's a well run business and the dogs are treated well such as the breeders my parents bought their Cream Lab from.

How often do you walk into the Humane Society and find a 60 pound pure breed female yellow lab? While I was waiting for them to bring her to me today about 4 people who were picking up their dogs remarked that I got extreme good fortune. So do I, she's a sweetheart.

My Mom came over and met her today and that was nice /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Kato~~~happy to have Mary in my home.

Barbara
10-11-2004, 05:19 PM
Kato,

I have always believed in spaying and neutering and it is the one donation to the animal shelters that I give to each and every year.

I wanted to neuter Spike the first time I caught him in a Hav-a-Heart trap just to get him to our Vet for shots when he became a food fixture with me. Then he became my BD present and he got "tutored" and shot. Poor him, NOT!!! He's a happy cat!! He's Pete's cat!!!

I can't stand ignorant owners that think that their pets shouldn't get neutered or spayed. THE OWNERS SHOULD INSTEAD!! The animals are under anesthesia, DUH! A little care afterwards, and that's that. They don't know what they lost.

Congrats on adopting Mary!! I know she's got a great owner!!!

Barbara~~~Spike has never sprayed in my house like he did outside...

Kato
10-11-2004, 08:26 PM
Thanks Barbara.

Here's something I thought interesting. After Mary's 4 hour nap on my couch she finally woke up enough for me to get her to go outside. When she came back in she just stood in front of the huge cage I bought her to house train her. I was confused but she just sat there looking at me. Finally I got up and opened the cage and in she went and went back to sleep. I left the door open for her but she seems awfully content in there. So even though she's not house trained I guess she's already "crate" trained.

Kato

cueball1950
10-11-2004, 10:33 PM
RJ.. she sounds so much like my boston terrier. when we TOOK him from my daughter she gave me his "cage" all he would ever do is want to go inside the cage. Well that did not sit to well with both my wife and myself. We wanted him to be a "house" dog. So out in the garage it went. Apparently he was made to spend to much time in it and was never allowed to have the run of the house when with my daughter. So we decided to just keep him one time when we were babysitting him. Just told my daughter that he loved it here and was happy here and had the run of the house. And he has been a God send for my wife., given her condition. Just thought i would pass that little story along cuz it seems like we both made the right decision for our new best friend..............................mike

Wally_in_Cincy
10-12-2004, 05:53 AM
Dogs like cages. It makes them feel secure. It's like a den in the wild. I used to put a blanket over my dogs's cages and they liked that even better.

9 Ball Girl
10-12-2004, 09:26 AM
I love Labs. When and if I ever get a house with a nice sized backyard and some sort of body of water nearby, I plan on having two of them. They're the best.

I had bought (actually rescued if you ask me) Buddy from what are called backyard breeders. They're just in it for the money and don't take the time to get to know the breed. He was 2 months old and I wished I could've bought the whole litter. I was told that I was nuts for giving him away and not selling him to the family from Long Island that made the trek down to Brooklyn to get Buddy when I parted with him. I went through the whole housebreaking, teething (I still have his baby teeth), obedience training, veterinary care, etc. But I didn't care about money, I just wanted him to go to a nice caring home and he did! The new owners couldn't stop calling me and thanking me enough. But it's funny 'cause it was like Buddy knew that that was his last day with me. He was not rambunctious at all that day. I'm blabbing and getting misty eyed over here.

Have fun!

PQQLK9
10-23-2004, 04:06 PM
Here is another tragic dog story and somewhat pool related. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Fire kills city familyís pets
NASHUA - A local family lost two pets in a fire Friday that heavily damaged their 6 Mizoras Drive home.

When the Robinsonsí daughter, Shelley, 22, arrived from work at Boston Billiard Club, she ran down the street, visibly shaken about the loss of her pets.
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20041023/NEWS01/110230013/-1/news01