PDA

View Full Version : First league night tonight... I'm really nervous

Beast1284
10-04-2004, 08:15 AM
Well since I turned 21 in June, this will be my first shot at a real league of any kind. I have been shooting for 5 years now, and have been serious for about 2. I play weekly 8ball tournaments at my university and always place 1st through 4th out of about 20 people.

But tonight is my real league night, and I'm super nervous. I'll be going with my mentor/teacher/friend and he'll be signing me up and introducing me to my team members, so it's good that I have someone to get me in the door. Another thing that makes it even more nerve racking is that my mentor has been talking me up to my team members about how good I am. They have even bumped one of their regulars to be a sub to fit me in as a starter. No pressure there...

I guess my reason for posting is to say "Hey" and to ask of any advice you have for a rookie playing in their first league match tonight.

Thanks for any comments.

Mike Pastore

Perk
10-04-2004, 08:22 AM
If you play in alot of tourneys, league should be a breeze. Dont get so hyped up. You your energy to focus. Go into tonight prepared to play some pool and have fun. After tonight, you can adjust your expectations based on the result of your first night.

As far as your bud hyping you up, use that as confidence. If he has watched you play before, and he has played in this league, he feels you will do good, so dont let that added pressure go to your head. Use it as CONFIDENCE!

Fred Agnir
10-04-2004, 08:24 AM
First League Night (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&c2coff=1&selm=01bd2073%24875a1e80%24c309ddcc%40P 19996.powercerv.com&rnum=1)

Fred

Deeman2
10-04-2004, 08:36 AM
You apparently have a good game, just lean on that. Take your time, shoot smoothly and enjoy the experience before you have to deal with league politics and such.

Respect every opponent you have and you'll win your share of the matches. If you have a team of likeable people, it will be a cinch. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck!

Deeman

Perk
10-04-2004, 08:38 AM
Nice one Fred....kinda funny about the miscued break.

Rich R.
10-04-2004, 08:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Beast1284:</font><hr>I guess my reason for posting is to say "Hey" and to ask of any advice you have for a rookie playing in their first league match tonight. <hr /></blockquote>
Mike, it is not life and death.
Relax and have some fun. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It is better to play and lose, than not play at all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Beast1284
10-04-2004, 09:05 AM
Thanks for all the comments guys...

I understand it's not a matter of life and death, I just don't want to let any of them down. My teammates are older guys, mostly in their 40s, and I just don't want to do anything to piss them off, or otherwise make them say, "damn punk college kids".

Wally_in_Cincy
10-04-2004, 09:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Beast1284:</font><hr> .....My teammates are older guys, mostly in their 40s, and I just don't want to do anything to piss them off, or otherwise make them say, "damn punk college kids". <hr /></blockquote>

They won't do that until you begin beating them on a regular basis /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deeman2
10-04-2004, 09:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Beast1284:</font><hr> Thanks for all the comments guys...

I understand it's not a matter of life and death, I just don't want to let any of them down. My teammates are older guys, mostly in their 40s, and I just don't want to do anything to piss them off, or otherwise make them say, "damn punk college kids". <hr /></blockquote>

Mike,

I'm 52 and love to see young guys like you playing the game seriously and don't think any of your teammates will feel like you are a punk kid. Pool is one of the great levelizers in life and one of the few things us long in the tooth guys have in common with younger people. I enjoy seeing both young men and women playing in our sport and know you are the future of the game.

Again, give the old geezers a chance. You might find you make some great friendships that will be valuable to you and help your game as well. Anybody that resents a young and talented pool player wouldn't be much of a player in my book anyway.

HAVE FUN AND KICK BUTT!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Deeman

9 Ball Girl
10-04-2004, 09:47 AM
Just relax and do what you do that always gets you in the top 4. You're already used to being watched (that was my issue back when I started), so just do your best and play. On the other hand, I never liked being hyped up, but if you're good, then that's what happens. Good luck! I expect a full report tomorrow morning!

Chris Cass
10-04-2004, 10:02 AM
Hi Mike,

Just stay calm, relaxed and remember one thing. There's no "I" in team.

Regards,

C.C.~~Oh, don't leave your cue laying around unattended. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Rod
10-04-2004, 10:18 AM
There is only so much you can do, other than have a fun night. Be prepared, be there well ahead of time. You'll have a chance to talk to everyone and feel more at ease before you start. Not to mention some time to get warmed up. They won't get mad should you happen to loose some games. They have all been there and will tell you they have lost their share too. So start out on a good foot, be there early and prepare. They will respect you for that alone, it shows you care and willing to put in the extra effort.

One thing I think most league players hate, especially captains, is players showing up late or not being ready to play when the bell rings. It's a team effort and no one needs or wants distractions. Sometimes though there is that one person that manages to slow things up, don't you be the one and all will be well, you'll see. Good Luck and relax a little, will ya?? LOL

Rod

Billy_Bob
10-04-2004, 10:41 AM
I was a total wreck my first league night!

I knew Effren, Johnny, and all the other top rated players would be there. I knew they would run the table on me the first time I missed a shot. I knew I would look like a fool and everybody would wonder why a putz like me would even consider playing league with the "big boys".

Well everyone showed up for the tournament, but Effren and Johnny were not there! It was just the guys/gals I had been playing pool with for fun the last few months who were there.

Then the first match... Neither player could hit a bull in the butt with a base fiddle, let alone pocket a ball!

I relaxed when I realized that everyone else was nervous, and no one was a much better player than I was. And it was OK to lose every game. Then I won a game... Just one that evening, but boy was I proud of myself...

Deeman2
10-05-2004, 06:19 AM
O.K.

Where's the update and how did it go?

Deeman

Rich R.
10-05-2004, 06:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> Where's the update and how did it go?<hr /></blockquote>
Yeah, what happened.

Maybe, he lost a game and his team beat him mercilessly.
His body may be laying under the table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

JimS
10-05-2004, 07:19 AM
I'm an old fart...61 to be more exact.

I played my first league about 5 years ago and the first few times I played I was a nervous wreck. So much so that my hands shook.

I found out over the 3 years that I was in league that I was nervous every match but just had to calm myself down by concentrating on pool...studying the table, making a plan, using the habitual set up technique that coach had burned into my brain.

Coach had INSISTED that I develop a pre-shot routine. I didn't see the degree of importance in the routine that he placed on it but I did it because he was really going out of his way to help me, and he's an excellent player with a bunch of experience, AND he believed deeply in the importance of having a well developed, burnt into the memory cells pre-shot routine. I did it and it worked. PERIOD. Using the routine overcame my nervousness and allowed me to loosen up and play my game.

The old guys you're playing with are just guys. You know how to get along with the guys.

At first you just listen and once in a while, when you feel like you can make an intelligent comment you open your mouth, but most of the time, at first, you just listen and find out what kind of comment will fit in and just get comfortable with the vibes. Make a few appropriate comments and viola.... you're one of those guys. I like to kinda hang back, not make too much noise when I'm first meeting the already established group of guys. Nobody likes a big mouth. Go slow. Tell them you're nervous. Ask their advice. Most will want to be helpful.

The guys I was playing with when I first started were mostly in their 20's so it took some time for me and them to discover that we had things in common. I just had to move slowly for them to understand that I wasn't going to treat them like I was a parent and that I was just a guy...like them. They had to come to be able to trust me as being just a guy. That was kinda hard since they also knew that I'm "recovering", that I'm a counselor and work with DUI offenders. Several of them had been to me for counseling after they got busted or had seen me in AA when the judge sent them there. Some were a little hostile. But me just being a guy with them overcame 99% of the "differences" between us. Just be a stand-up guy and all is well.

Being nervous about your game is appropriate. Develop your routine and stick to it. The routine will do the job for you. It's imperative that you have a routine!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Deeman2
10-05-2004, 07:34 AM
Tap!, Tap! Tap!

Well, said Jim.

Deeman