PDA

View Full Version : Dale, Jr. Fined

Candyman
10-05-2004, 09:58 AM
Jr. was fined $10,000 and docked 25 pts. for dropping the S-bomb in the post-race interview Sunday. The precedent had been set in earlier incidents this season with Johnny Sauter and Ron Horniday. This off-track remark could cause Jr. the Nextel Cup Charpionship. NASCAR let Robby Gordon off the hook with a 2 lap penalty a couple of races ago when he intentionally wreaked Greg Biffle. That wreak took out Tony Steward and Jeremy Mayfield who were two of the contenders for the championship. This action by NASCAR will certainly cause enormous desent among fans. I see this action as a crack in the NASCAR corporate armor. This might just be the crack that will split the series. Bruton Smith has long wanted to start his own series and this might just be his chance. You know that old saying-you don't wipe your butt with supermans cape! Fasten your seat belts race fans. This could get real interesting. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
10-05-2004, 10:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr> Jr. was fined $10,000 and docked 25 pts. for dropping the S-bomb in the post-race interview Sunday. The precedent had been set in earlier incidents this season with Johnny Sauter and Ron Horniday.....

<hr /></blockquote>

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You know damn well NASCAR didn't want to do it but like you say, the precedent had been set.

Wally &lt;~~ likes Junior much better than Senior, God rest his soul

pooltchr
10-05-2004, 10:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr> Jr. was fined $10,000 and docked 25 pts. for dropping the S-bomb in the post-race interview Sunday. The precedent had been set in earlier incidents this season with Johnny Sauter and Ron Horniday. This off-track remark could cause Jr. the Nextel Cup Charpionship. NASCAR let Robby Gordon off the hook with a 2 lap penalty a couple of races ago when he intentionally wreaked Greg Biffle. That wreak took out Tony Steward and Jeremy Mayfield who were two of the contenders for the championship. This action by NASCAR will certainly cause enormous desent among fans. I see this action as a crack in the NASCAR corporate armor. This might just be the crack that will split the series. Bruton Smith has long wanted to start his own series and this might just be his chance. You know that old saying-you don't wipe your butt with supermans cape! Fasten your seat belts race fans. This could get real interesting. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I agree with the fine, but those points could end up being a multi million dollar fine. Imagine if Junior missses the championship by 20 points

Candyman
10-05-2004, 11:00 AM
You are right. Remember when Mark Martin was docked pts(40-45) for an illegal manifold? That cost him the championship to Jr's dad.

stickman
10-05-2004, 05:08 PM
In a Talladega post race interview Sunday by NASCAR broadcaster NBC about the significance of his fifth victory at Talladega, Earnhardt said, "It don't mean s--- right now. Daddy's won here 10 times."

Earnhardt was docked 25 points and fined $10,000 by NASCAR on Tuesday for cursing during a TV interview after his victory at Talladega Superspeedway.

It seems a little severe for a small slip of the tongue, to me. Make him pay NBC for a commercial, with him apologizing for his slip of the tongue, but don't take his points away. I've seen drivers intentionally wrecking each other, endagering lives, that didn't result in points being taken away.

dg-in-centralpa
10-06-2004, 05:09 AM
He may have been fined by NASCAR and lost points, but what about the FCC? They should fine him as well.

DG - never watched a NASCAR race in my life

Perk
10-06-2004, 06:41 AM
So what did he say? am I reading this right...did he say "[censored]"? Was that all? If so, thats way too much of a penalty.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-06-2004, 07:17 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> So what did he say? am I reading this right...did he say "[censored]"? Was that all? If so, thats way too much of a penalty. <hr /></blockquote>

NASCAR had set a precedent earlier in the season with 2 other drivers so they felt it would not be sporting to give Jr. a pass.

Candyman
10-06-2004, 08:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> So what did he say? am I reading this right...did he say "[censored]"? Was that all? If so, thats way too much of a penalty. <hr /></blockquote>

NASCAR had set a precedent earlier in the season with 2 other drivers so they felt it would not be sporting to give Jr. a pass. <hr /></blockquote>

This may seem to be the case, but any regular NASCAR fan can regularly here Rusty Wallace, Kevin Harvick or Jimmy Spencer useing curse words. Just last week Rusty said "pi$$ed off" several times in one pre-race interview.

In answer to an earlier comment about the fcc fining Jr, I would suggest that NASCAR leave it to the fcc. I'm sure Jr. would gladly take the medicine as long as Cheney and Terezza were included. Janet's titgate cost CBS $550,000. That was about 21 affiliates. NASCAR'S fine could potentially cost DEI in excess of several million dollars. I don't think the punishment fits the crime. JMHO

dg-in-centralpa
10-06-2004, 03:13 PM
How can NASCAR's fine cost him millions? Does he get some kind of bonus for winning the championship? He has endorsements and I don't see him losing that.

DG - just curious

highsea
10-06-2004, 07:30 PM
I think you get a million for the championship, at least that's what it was last year, IIRC. Certainly the driver would get a bonus, and the sponsorships would go up accordingly. The BUD logo on Junior's hood is worth about 5 or 6 million a year to DEI, so if he wins the cup that could concievably go up to 7 or 8 Mil.

I think we're going to see some points racing, Expecially with help from teammates on first and lead lap points in each race.

Busch runs better than Junior at Darlington, and he tested at Martinsville after the track was resurfaced, which might take away Junior's edge. Anyway, Gordon pretty much owns that track, and he tested too. Busch won Homestead in 2002, and Junior runs better at Atlanta, but they both run well at Phoenix. Neither one has done all that well in Kansas,but Gordon does, and Busch and Gordon both do well in Charlotte. So whoever can get the most top-10's and not get knocked out is going to take the cup. I think the penalty may have helped Gordon more than Busch.

And I think the penalty was at least equitable, if not exactly fair. Nascar can't have one set of rules for Junior and another set for everyone else.

Candyman
10-07-2004, 06:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote highsea:</font><hr> I think you get a million for the championship, at least that's what it was last year, IIRC. Certainly the driver would get a bonus, and the sponsorships would go up accordingly. The BUD logo on Junior's hood is worth about 5 or 6 million a year to DEI, so if he wins the cup that could concievably go up to 7 or 8 Mil.

I think we're going to see some points racing, Expecially with help from teammates on first and lead lap points in each race.

Busch runs better than Junior at Darlington, and he tested at Martinsville after the track was resurfaced, which might take away Junior's edge. Anyway, Gordon pretty much owns that track, and he tested too. Busch won Homestead in 2002, and Junior runs better at Atlanta, but they both run well at Phoenix. Neither one has done all that well in Kansas,but Gordon does, and Busch and Gordon both do well in Charlotte. So whoever can get the most top-10's and not get knocked out is going to take the cup. I think the penalty may have helped Gordon more than Busch.

And I think the penalty was at least equitable, if not exactly fair. Nascar can't have one set of rules for Junior and another set for everyone else. <hr /></blockquote>

HS, you really know your NASCAR for a west coaster. You are exactly right on the tracks Jeff, Kirt, and Jr run well on. Another way to look at is Jeff and Kirt run well on the flat tracks and Jr. doesn't. They all run good on the high banks. Unless one of them has trouble, I give Jeff a slight advantage. I think he will win by less than 25 pts.

Matt Kenseth won $5.1 million last year out of a 17 million payout. The winner this year will recieve in excess of $5-6 million dollars.

Troy
10-07-2004, 10:50 AM
We even have races here out West... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
And some drivers from out here too... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr> you really know your NASCAR for a west coaster. <hr /></blockquote>

Candyman
10-07-2004, 12:14 PM
That was a cruel comment to make. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Of course you have races there. Riverside and Sonoma have strong traditions in NASCAR and some of the best drivers have come from there (Jeff Gordon, Jimmy Johnson, Biffle, Chad Little, Hershel McGriffe, and who can forget Johnny Mantz-first Southern 500 winner in 1950)

Troy
10-07-2004, 12:59 PM
Just "funnin'" with ya Candyman... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

By the way, Riverside closed a while ago.
Now the races are at Fontana, about 10 miles north.
(But what do I know, I'm in Nor Cal...
West coast home of the road course... aka, Infineon Raceway... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

And don't forget Phoenix. It's also in the "west".

Also, don't forget the drivers from the Vegas area.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr> That was a cruel comment to make. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Of course you have races there. Riverside and Sonoma have strong traditions in NASCAR and some of the best drivers have come from there (Jeff Gordon, Jimmy Johnson, Biffle, Chad Little, Hershel McGriffe, and who can forget Johnny Mantz-first Southern 500 winner in 1950) <hr /></blockquote>

stickman
10-07-2004, 06:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> what do I know, I'm in Nor Cal...
West coast home of the road course... aka, Infineon Raceway... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy
<hr /></blockquote>
Road courses aren't my favorite tracks, but most of all, I've never been completely alright with the road course hired guns. Somehow it doesn't seem right. When a driver is injured and uses a fill-in driver, I'm alright with it. Just me, I guess. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Troy
10-07-2004, 06:45 PM
And therein lies the difference... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I grew up with Sports Car racing and raced a 1960 Austin Healey 3000 many years ago when it was financially feasible to "go it alone". My real favorite was the old CART on courses such as Road America, Road Atlanta, Portland, Watkins Glen and my absolute favorite track, Laguna Seca. Tony George ruined all that with the IRL, but since he owns Indy, he basically "owns" the open wheel game in the USA. By the way, even the oval-only IRL is adding a road course -- Infineon Raceway Aug '05.

Troy...~~~ Also doesn't like the "hired guns"
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> what do I know, I'm in Nor Cal...
West coast home of the road course... aka, Infineon Raceway... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy
<hr /></blockquote>
Road courses aren't my favorite tracks, but most of all, I've never been completely alright with the road course hired guns. Somehow it doesn't seem right. When a driver is injured and uses a fill-in driver, I'm alright with it. Just me, I guess. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif <hr /></blockquote>

JPB
10-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Two things. First I have not seen mentioned or correctly analyzed yet. People are saying (i.e. nascar and others) that Jr was punished the same as earlier drivers by losing 25 points. However, he was punished MUCH more severly. The earlier drivers punished were in a different points system, right? (Trucks or Busch right) Even if the points system were the same, Jr's punishment is much harsher because it falls in the phony 10 race championship. So if there are 25 points taken in the first 26 races and 25 taken in the last 10, Jr's punishment is really 2.6 times more significant. He should have been punished at most 10 points to make the punishments equivalent.

Second thing. NASCAR has always had very little credibility as a real sport given the constant rule changes and driver collusion. I am actually a little surprised that las vagas books the races. This penalty denies NASCAR the right to claim any legitimacy as a sport. A sport doesn't retroactively fix scores by whim or fiat based on ambiguous rules. You cannot decide a championship this way. Particularly for something that is utterly unrelated to the competition. I am not a big fan, but now am an anti-nascar person. It isn't a sport. It isn't legitimate. It is fixed. Feh.

I hope jeff gordon somehow goes to F-1 and Dale Jr. spends the rest of his career trying to ruin nascar or start a rivial circuit. NASCAR is bogus.

My idea for REAL stock car racing: Buy a 4 door car from a dealer. Put whatever engine fits in it. Run on gasoline is the only rule. No external modifications or aerodynamic improvements allowed. Put whatever suspension, tires, and brakes you desire. Use any safety features you want, but none are required. Fans encouraged to sit well back because dudes running 250 in a buick might get airborne. It would be cool. That is stock car racing. NASCAR is a soap opera literally - a non-sport with outcomes determined by the writers running on TV only to sell ads. A waste of time and I am mad I bothered to know anything at all about it or spend the time even to write this post. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

stickman
10-07-2004, 09:35 PM
When I was a pup, I raced motorcycle flattracks. (mostly short tracks and a few half mile tracks) Kind of like old habits, maybe? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

highsea
10-08-2004, 05:20 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Candyman:</font><hr> HS, you really know your NASCAR for a west coaster. .. <hr /></blockquote>We're working on getting a racetrack right here in the Northwest. And By God it'll be a roundy-rounder!

-CM~~~Of course, stock cars shouldn't be able to make right turns, except in emergencies.

highsea
10-08-2004, 05:32 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JPB:</font><hr> I am actually a little surprised that las vagas books the races. This penalty denies NASCAR the right to claim any legitimacy as a sport. <hr /></blockquote>Can I have some of that? Whatever you're smoking, it must be pretty good..

Hey, JPB, you know what Robby Gordon said the first time he got in a stock car? (This was his first NASCAR race as a hired gun at Sonoma, so he'd never been in a real car before) He said, "Gee, don't you guys have a smaller steering wheel?"

You know what he said after a few laps? He said "Hey, do you guys have a bigger steering wheel?"

Bahahaha. P*ssy!!!!

pooltchr
10-08-2004, 07:55 AM
I can't think of any other sport where the score at the end of competition isn't the same as the next day. You don't take points off the board after the fact.
NASCAR needs to ease up on some of these BS decisions!

Candyman
10-08-2004, 10:47 AM
I feel your pain jpb. NASCAR is ruining what use to be a wonderful series. Let's look back for a minute and look at it's roots.
In the late 40's and up until the early 70's they actually did run stock cars. A minimum of 500 cars had to be produced and available to the public to be eligible. They would strip radios, interior, headlights, taillights, and any other unnecesary components that might be a safety issue or weight problem. They added a roll cage and went racing. The engines were the same that came in the production models. The cubic inches could not be altered and the carberation had to be in limits. There was a lot the crews could do to trick the car out for more speed. If your model car didn't run good that year, it was up to the manufacturer to make a faster car for the next model year. There was no "leveling of the playing field" in those days to make all the makes equal. Nobody had ever heard of a debris or competition caution. Any disputes between drivers were sometimes handled on the track and other times in the garage or back at the motel. There were many colorful drivers back then. They were unbelievable caracters. They were heavy drinkers and women chasers. Any of them could out-drive the best drivers of today. Unfortunately, not many of them could handle a microphone or interview. Racin' was racin' back then and it was something to behold.
In the early 70's Detroit began building cars with the uni-body construction methods and the cars were much to dangerous to race without the rigid frames. This is the era where teams started to build their entire cars. NASCAR began to adhere to their on specifications, but racing remained good for another decade and a half. In 1979 the Daytona 500 was televised and is remembered, not for who won, but for the last lap racing incident between Cale Yarborough and Bobby Allison. They were racing neck to neck and beating and banging on one another for almost the entire lap, when they finally managed to take each other out. Richard Petty with on to win the race, while a national TV audience watched Cale and Bobby slug it out by their wreaked cars. Donnie Allison came in 4th that day, but also stopped at the fight to lend a helping hand. Racing, as I had known it, started its slide that day. Racing became widely popular that day and continued in its popularity until now. It was no longer a regional sport for us southern rednecks. It had gone national and we had lost our sport forever. We have lost our southern tracks and continue to lose them. In an effort to attract fans, NASCAR has gone the route wrestling took. New fans are falling for this charade, while old farts like me are falling by the wasteside. Not many people can screw up an anvil, but NASCAR has managed pretty well. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif