PDA

View Full Version : Cues and balls bundled with table

cnw20
10-05-2004, 10:27 AM
I just bought a new 7' Brunswick Tahoe and with it come 4 cheap cues and Belgian balls. Am I beter off not taking this package, cutting it out of the total price, and buying everything elsewhere? If so, where's a good place to get the right packaage? Thanks.

woody_968
10-05-2004, 11:28 AM
It all depends on how picky you are /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

When I bought my table I purchased a cheap set of balls to use for a while, then I bought the Super Aramith Pros off of ebay and I have been much happier with them.

If it were me I would save the cash from the cheap balls and get yourself a good set.

Neilsens billiards on ebay has great customer service, ya might check his store out and see what sets he has.

Woody

trailboss
10-05-2004, 12:17 PM
Hmmm, My table came with the cheap balls and four cheap Valley cues included in a package for free, so I didn't complain. You say they are charging you for this? Hmmm, if they are cancel it! The Super pros are the way to go, you will never regret it!!! Please let us know how you like the table, as I might buy one for my father. Thanks!

SnakebyteXX
10-05-2004, 02:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I beter off not taking this package, cutting it out of the total price, and buying everything elsewhere? If so, where's a good place to get the right packaage? <hr /></blockquote>

If the deal is of the no-extra-charge variety you should jump on it. You can never have too many crappy cues around to give to those inexperienced guests and their even more inexperienced wildebeest like children. All of whom will someday arrive at the same point in space and time as your new pool table and all of whom will want to ‘play’ on it. That’s when you’re going to want to be there handing out those cheap cues - making certain that your guests have chosen ‘just the right equipment’ to maximize their pool playing pleasure.

On the other hand, if they want to charge you for the cheap cues etc. the short answer is that you would might be better off spending your money buying exactly what you want for your table one piece at a time instead of letting someone else sell you a cheap 'package deal'.

However turning down the promo-pak can present a couple of problems. Not the least of which is that 99.999% of the people in the known universe who buy their own pool tables typically want to start playing pool within approximately .00000008 nanoseconds after the new table has been set up.

Nobody wants to have a brand new pool table put into their home only to let it sit there unused if even for a day or two. And you know what? The funny thing is, most pool table dealers know this about their customers and they like to capitalize on that need in any way they can - hence the over-priced low-priced package deal provided for your ‘convenience’.

However, if you are made of sterner stuff and you're not opting for the cheap-o ‘cues and balls’ offered by the dealer you need to put a little thought into what you’re going to buy instead. Even if you HAVE gone for the inexpensive make-do gear you’re going to want to add to your set of equipment as time goes by.

Among other things, that’s what the Internet is for - You’d be amazed at how much good, bad and indifferent information there is out there about pool balls and pool cues. There’s no end of websites involved in selling that gear and no end of opinions from people in forums much like this one who have bought the gear or are thinking about buying the gear or know someone who has bought the gear and either liked it or disliked it.

And if that’s not enough information for you – head down to your local pool hall and hang out for a while. See what it is that the people who bring their own stuff to play are bringing to play. Ask them why they like it and what else they might buy if they had the choice. Then try and catch a few rounds of nine ball on ESPN2 (when it’s on). Pay careful attention to the kind of gear that they’re using – you’ll see everything from Sardo Tight Racks to the funny looking Red Measles Cue Balls to the occasional prominent women’s player confidantly wielding a cue stick covered in fiberglass.

All along the way, don’t be afraid to ask questions – of everyone. Sooner or later you will be able to form your own opinion about what it is that you want to add to your repertoire of home gear and when that time comes it will be exactly the right time to add it.

In the meantime – you might want to go for the cheap set after all if for no other reason than to keep your new table from feeling totally abandoned. In lieu of that buy it a nice cozy cover so at least it can sleep at night and it won't feel so naked during the day.

Hope this helps.

Snake