PDA

View Full Version : John McChesney

Sid_Vicious
10-05-2004, 12:02 PM
*I posted this on the NPR board first, here it is as well*

Sorry if this is a repeat and already posted but I don't think it is or else it would have caught my eye, John passed away last week from cancer, y'all remember him from posts here on the board and most likely there are longer term acquaintances than many here as well since John has ran the Tx Express Tour and probably other league activities for much longer than I've even player organized pool.

I don't know any other details, sorry...sid

SpiderMan
10-05-2004, 12:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> *I posted this on the NPR board first, here it is as well*

Sorry if this is a repeat and already posted but I don't think it is or else it would have caught my eye, John passed away last week from cancer, y'all remember him from posts here on the board and most likely there are longer term acquaintances than many here as well since John has ran the Tx Express Tour and probably other league activities for much longer than I've even player organized pool.

I don't know any other details, sorry...sid
<hr /></blockquote>

Yes, he seemed to be in remission for quite a while, I played him in a tournament not too many months ago and he was looking pretty fit. Then we heard last week that he was gone.

I first met John back when he was co-managing the so-called "McDermott National Nine-Ball Tour". Didn't really see him a lot until years later, when we started encountering one another at local tournaments in Dallas. Always liked him, though I suppose I didn't really know him well.

SpiderMan

Pizza Bob
10-05-2004, 12:32 PM
Here's a link to the Texas Express website, which has a short statement about John's passing.

http://www.texasexpress.com/

The sport has lost a great promoter. RIP.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Chris Cass
10-05-2004, 12:58 PM
Hi Sid,

This saddens me to no end. I thought that was going to be me as well. I'll say a prayer for his family and loved ones.

Sincerely,

C.C.

Steve Lipsky
10-05-2004, 02:16 PM
I only met John once, when he co-ran the 14.1 Nationals at Amsterdam Billiard Club in 1999. He seemed like a real stand-up guy. I am so sorry to hear of his passing.

He will be missed.

- Steve

Barbara
10-05-2004, 05:07 PM
I'm sorry to hear about John. I remember his post about hiring lawyers into seeing about the legality of calcuttas and gambling between players. I printed out that post, but have since lost it since I don't do calcuttas at my events and never will. Calcuttas are highly illegal and the room owners could lose their room if caught, was the conclusion of his paper. Gambling between players playing, however, is not.

The McDermott Tour and TX Express Tour that it evolved into was the very first organized tour I ever played in. I still have my card and I was member #28 or something like that. John was a great promoter of this sport!

Barbara~~~and my prayers to his family

Christy9
10-05-2004, 09:10 PM
I am very sorry to hear about John's death. I havent seen him in several years, but spent alot of time around him when the Texas Express tour first began. I always enjoyed his company and I'm sure he will be missed by many. God bless his family.

Christy Dickerson

Rod
10-05-2004, 09:31 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. I don't recall of ever meeting him but John did post here on occasion. It doesn't seem that long ago he posted some info on ball weights. He had weighed a bunch of them. Pool looses another good guy and promoter. A prayer goes out to his family and friends.

Rod

BillPorter
10-06-2004, 02:50 AM
I am saddened by this news. John was a really friendly guy and his death is a definite loss for the world of pool. He will be missed and remembered.

kitmcchesney
10-14-2004, 09:51 PM
Hello billiards friends--

I'm John's little sister, Kit, and I must tell you how touched I am to read these wonderful wishes you've expressed for our family, and the kind thoughts you've shared about John.

John did have lung cancer, diagnosed almost a year ago this week. The doctors told him he might be lucky to survive a year, with treatment. Without treatment, one month. He did very well on the chemo for most of the year, amazing the doctors with his resilience and strength, and was in remission up until the first part of the summer. But the cancer metastasized and he succumbed in the end to brain cancer. He was in hospice care for the last two months and passed away very peacefully on September 29, in the early morning.

John was prepared, and knew that every day was a gift. He was also determined to get well. He almost made the year.

Thank you again for all your kind wishes and thoughts.

Peace, health, and happiness--

Kit McChesney

Sid_Vicious
10-15-2004, 06:31 AM
It was a fun time around the pool places when you heard that undeniable voice of John's enter the pool room. It sounds like John not only had pool friends but also a wonderful family as well Kit, those are the real blessings in life. Take care, and hey, hang around here a while and visit with this bunch. It gets interesting at times, but mainly it just one big happy group swapping ideas and opinions, about pool and about life. Sid