PDA

View Full Version : The Scratch Can.

Stretch
10-05-2004, 03:06 PM
We have a great bunch of guys on my new Metro Pool League team. The Captain asked me if i had any ideas to raise some money for our own team Party (in addition to the Monster free League Banquet). So i suggested we have a scratch can. every time you scratch you get to drop a quarter in. He liked the idea so last night we unvieled the "sin bin". It went over real well and was supported (unfortunately) quite nicely. lol

In addition to that, Judy (my significant other) is in charge of the 50/50 draw. With the blessing of our club Judy sold tickets to all the VLT addicts (easy sell), bar patrons, and of course all us league players. Total take was 24 bucks (slow night). But 24 bucks is 24 bucks right? there's still 34 weeks left in the schedule!

I just thought i'd mention this to all you league players as a possible source of team income. You don't need to party it away like we plan too lol. You could buy great team shirts, hold your own money added team tournaments on practice nights, buy training aids to share like tapes and books, you name it!

What do you think? Would your team mates buy into this? What are some of the money raising scheems you guys do?

This is not a money maker idea but some teams like to motivate thier players buy forking over an estra couple of bucks each to go to the guy with the best numbers on the night.

So what are some of the things you people do aside from just showing up to play. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St

Barbara
10-05-2004, 04:57 PM
THIS IS GREAT!!!!

St,

I just got sucked back into playing for my bar league team again. My captain, who was the league Prez in the second year just got sucked back into being League Prez again and after 10 years, and I got sucked back again into doing the League Schedule and the weekly stats. Talk about a time-line continuum like that Star Trek movie. (Snort!! Which one?)

So this is great!! I'll charge $1 for an early 8, and $1 for scratches on the 8!! We have stoopid and all the wrong rules for 8-ball!!

Thanks for the ideas!!

Barbara

trailboss
10-05-2004, 07:34 PM
Good idea.. I think I would raise it from .25 cents a scratch to at least a dollar, as .25 cents won't go far nowdays.

Barbara
10-05-2004, 07:52 PM
That's what I suggested!! One dollar for a scratch on the 8 or an early 8!! Something to add to the end of the year fund for partying!!! Maybe even raise it to 5 'cause we don't do those things that often!!

Okay, so the Bar League is going to be a fun league this year!!

Barbara

stickman
10-05-2004, 08:31 PM
The teams I've been on have always done this. Some of the teams have voted for free drinks and parties, others decided to have a cookout and picnic format, more of a family event. Whatever the teams decide to do, is intended to strengthen personal unity of the team. I think it's good idea.

Rod
10-05-2004, 08:49 PM
St,

When I played league, my team mates liked a challenge. It gives you a better incentive to play well. We had a pot for 8 ball on the break. Since we played 4 games each we antied a buck for each round. We also had a friendly wager for high points ( I don't know your format) for the season. Some went in for that, some didn't. Yet another one was most run outs for the season. All players did not participate in every one. You could however make it small and maybe modify one to suite your needs.

One you might like is an extra quarter for a scratch on the break in addition to the regular scratch. Or another is sending whitey off the table in addition to the break scratch and regular scratch. You get em three ways, they'll think twice before a full out wild break.

~~ rod, forgetting something

Rod
10-05-2004, 09:04 PM
I'd always vote for free drinks and parties! ha ha ha

Wally_in_Cincy
10-06-2004, 05:54 AM
We do 25 cents for any scratch or foul. You would be surprised how quickly it adds up. We have done different things with the money. Had shirts made once. Had pizza, beer, and pool practice at the tavern a couple of times.

We really should save it for a trip to Vegas, but chances are we will never qualify. Mostly the "handicap manipulators" get the Vegas trips.

Perk
10-06-2004, 06:34 AM
Have played it that way before, we also had it double ball off the table, and 1.00 on an eightball foul.

Another concept with this is for small or weekly tourneys. There are tourneys around here that use the scratch pot to pay 4th place. Sometimes 4th place pays more than 3rd if the pot is huge that night. It can add up fast.

dg-in-centralpa
10-06-2004, 04:58 PM
Stretch,
We also had .25 on a scratch or foul and one dollar for an early 8 ball. We ended up with over $50 in a 24 Week season.We used the money to buy drinks and pay for our final week of the season.

DG - only "put in" $3.00 that year

Stretch
10-06-2004, 05:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> THIS IS GREAT!!!!

St,

I just got sucked back into playing for my bar league team again. My captain, who was the league Prez in the second year just got sucked back into being League Prez again and after 10 years, and I got sucked back again into doing the League Schedule and the weekly stats. Talk about a time-line continuum like that Star Trek movie. (Snort!! Which one?)

So this is great!! I'll charge $1 for an early 8, and $1 for scratches on the 8!! We have stoopid and all the wrong rules for 8-ball!!

Thanks for the ideas!!

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Babs. Yes indeed, some great ideas! Thanks everyone this was a fun thread. Aint it fun collecting for a worthy cause /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry your getting sucked in to doing so much. Can't you just like hang out anywhere? lol Your just like my Judy i'll bet. By the second League night i wasn;t aloud to come without her lol and now she runs the score sheet, calls the matches, keep track of the scratches and does the 50/50 draw. Her new title is "assistant home team captain" (which means she organizes everyone) leaving our Captain to pump up the troops and concentrate on his own game. As we were leaving the hall the other night (we won by the way) he was shouting something like "your the glue Judy! your the glue!"

Well i think your the glue here Babs /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St

Barbara
10-06-2004, 05:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr>
Hi Babs. Yes indeed, some great ideas! Thanks everyone this was a fun thread. Aint it fun collecting for a worthy cause /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sorry your getting sucked in to doing so much. Can't you just like hang out anywhere? lol Your just like my Judy i'll bet. By the second League night i wasn;t aloud to come without her lol and now she runs the score sheet, calls the matches, keep track of the scratches and does the 50/50 draw. Her new title is "assistant home team captain" (which means she organizes everyone) leaving our Captain to pump up the troops and concentrate on his own game. As we were leaving the hall the other night (we won by the way) he was shouting something like "your the glue Judy! your the glue!"

Well i think your the glue here Babs /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St <hr /></blockquote>

Hey St!

The BEST time I had just playing this year was going down to the Men's US Open and playing in the CCBIII tourny!! Mrs. Rich R and Rich R were just about running the format, courtesy of Big Dave Syrja's fun tounament software, and I just kept playing and playing and playing FOR ONCE!!! It was GREAT!!

SPetty and I had a few for you!!!

Barbara

Steve Lipsky
10-06-2004, 08:41 PM
Hey Barbara. A dollar per scratch... Hmmm... how much do you have to put in for an intentional foul??

- Steve &lt;--- lol, doesn't want to go there again.

houseman
10-08-2004, 08:44 AM
Im not involved with leagues but I do charge 50 cents every time, to the players that knocks a balls off the tables. Does not count on the break. This goes in a kitty towards new cloth

daviddjmp
10-08-2004, 02:37 PM
Stretch-

In my BCA 8-ball league, there is a dollar per foul charge, maximum of two per player per night. At the end of the night, a random player draw creates two scotch doubles teams that then play for the scratch cash. There are 12 4-person teams, so the pot can get pretty nice. I made $40 one night, a lot of fun-