PDA

View Full Version : Pool Tables for under $2,500? Need Suggestions!!!

TERP
10-05-2004, 04:10 PM
I'll try this a different way. In a couple of previous threads, I asked for people to post the price of their Olhausens, but not very many takers /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif Therefore, I'll ask it this way:

Could you name some nice pool table for ~ $2,500 or < ? I'm looking for an 8' table that plays nice, looks good, and has a little 'furniture' look to it for the wife /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I looked at an Olhausen Santa Ana, but it was $3400...a Brunswick Avalon, which I liked a lot, but that, too, was like $3500 clams...looking for something that would play as nicely, but perhaps cheaper do to cheaper (not solid wood) base construction....help!!!!!!!!!

trailboss
10-05-2004, 08:00 PM
One of my buddies has an AMF Playmaster Hanover and it plays decent for 1250. Not sure you will find somthing to please the wife in that price range. My buddy put his in the basement and his wife is happy and so is he! Also very important, check on how long the table mechanic has been with the dealer!!! A good table mechanic can set about any decent table up to play as good as a Brunswick Gold Crown! Also don't forget you might stumble across a decrotive used table if you get lucky .

stickman
10-05-2004, 08:54 PM
I play league pool and amateur tournaments. Almost all my playing is done on 7' Valley coin-op tables. I plan to buy a Valley tiger 7' non coin-op table with fast cloth. I don't have a wife to be concerned with the decorator concerns. My Valley table will leave me change for other accessories. Should I ever start playing competive matches on 9' professional quality tables, I'll have to spend more money for my home table. This may not be what you want, but I'll be happy with it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

trailboss
10-05-2004, 09:14 PM
Hey Stickman, nothing wrong with a Valley for the home! If you get one I am sure you will like it as I play on them now and then. Are you getting a good price on one?

Rod
10-05-2004, 09:42 PM
It seems you should be able to find a good used table. If you keep an eye out in the newspaper or other classified ads. I know you want one but take your time. Just about the time you spend more than you should for what you get, up pops a good used one. That's murphys law. 3 months, 6 months doesn't matter you want to be happy with a good table.

Rod

cueball1950
10-05-2004, 09:55 PM
there are plenty of used gandys out there at a decent price... just don't know about an 8 footer though.......mike

stickman
10-05-2004, 09:58 PM
You can buy a new Tiger for for around $1600. I can find a good used coin-op for $800-$1200. I can recover the table myself. I want a set of Aramith super pro balls. These are what most of the tournaments are played with. I'm holding off until my divorce property settlement is concluded. Hopefully it will be concluded on the 27th of this month. It has been almost two years. OJ got free in less time. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Ready to look to the future and more pleasant times. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Perk
10-06-2004, 05:43 AM
Have some patience, maybe save a bit more money if needed, and look for the table you want. I would recommend going to a few tourneys and talking with the people that run the tourneys. Seems like I am always hearing about good sales/value after a tourney. Last year I had an opportunity to get a 9' Gandy for 1500.00 loaded up, and another 200.00 for setup after a tourney. I didnt have the space for it.

2 years ago, I had a friend that had sold his 9' Brunswick Gold Crown approx 8 years ago to a guy. Well this guy passed on, and his wife was looking to move this table. It went for $400.00, and all it needed was a cover over a corner pocket. I missed out on that one also.

Have patience, and dont rush your decision based on money alone. IMO

dooziexx
10-06-2004, 07:50 AM
You can get used GC1 and GC2 for that price range.

TERP
10-06-2004, 11:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> I play league pool and amateur tournaments. Almost all my playing is done on 7' Valley coin-op tables. I plan to buy a Valley tiger 7' non coin-op table with fast cloth. I don't have a wife to be concerned with the decorator concerns. My Valley table will leave me change for other accessories. Should I ever start playing competive matches on 9' professional quality tables, I'll have to spend more money for my home table. This may not be what you want, but I'll be happy with it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I'm with you on this one...always wanted a bar table, as I think they are really durable, play well, no size constraints, and that's about all my sorry butt plays on (except when we hit the local pool hall to play on the real tables) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ...was just thinking that the wood tables would not only look nicer, but play a little quiter and perhaps smoother. Moreover, the longer the table, the better I would become on my full-green shots /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif How much does a new one run, minus the coin slots?

stickman
10-06-2004, 02:00 PM
New, around $1600 or just a little more. Add shipping and handling unless you can purchase it and deliver it yourself. They are on the back cover of the new Muellers catalog in two styles.

TERP
10-07-2004, 04:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> New, around $1600 or just a little more. Add shipping and handling unless you can purchase it and deliver it yourself. They are on the back cover of the new Muellers catalog in two styles. <hr /></blockquote>

Nice, I'll check that out. Are these the same ones most bars use, or a home version of much cheaper quality? I saw a bar-style table in a store this weekend...also sold Kassons and American Heritage (I think that was the name)...but it looked really, really cheap..like a black particle board frame and thin, cheesy metal all around.

[edit] found the link (http://mueller-sporting-goods.com/)

stickman
10-07-2004, 05:10 PM
The Tiger is built with the same quality of the Valley Cougar, but without the coin changer, and a simple ball return. The wife might like the looks of the Black Cat. It is black, with burgundy cloth. I'm more a traditional guy. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TERP
10-07-2004, 07:37 PM
I think I am going to look for a local dealer and check these out. One more question, though...thought "bar-size" tables were 8'ers...are they really 7'? Also, do these come with 1" solid slate, or 3/4"? ...and did you upgrade the cloth (is this an option from most dealers, or have to go that alone and d-i-y-s)?

stickman
10-07-2004, 08:54 PM
An 8' table is available, but the 7' is most common. The slate is one piece and 3/4" thick. The standard cloth on a new table is Valley Ultra. It is Championship Mercury Ultra with a special teflon process added to it for preventing liquid spills from staining the cloth. I suspect that a dealer would allow you to substitute a different cloth if you wanted something faster.