PDA

View Full Version : Tight pockets...Fast cloth

B0B_PERKINS
10-05-2004, 05:52 PM
I've heard lots of guys talking about using pocket reducers to improve their accuracy. Finding tables with tight pockets hasn't been a problem for me as I not only have a 9ft snooker table at home but also another one in the High School classroom where I teach.

However, these days I mostly play 8 or 9-ball. It was always frustrating practicing with the heavier snooker cloth as it played havoc with accurately aiming and still being able to spin the ball around the table.

Recently I decided it was time to replace the rails on my home table as the foot rail had gone soft. I figured this would also be a good time to re-cloth the table as well. It came to me that rather than playing 8-9-ball on snooker style cloth, getting a high quality fast pool cloth would make my practice more effective.

My table now plays fantastic! Rails I can trust to give an accurate bounce and super fast cloth. Not much room for cheating the pockets though;) It's now a pleasure to work whitey around the table without having to make any major adjustments to aiming. Adds a whole new dimension to playing snooker as well. ...Bob

Barbara
10-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Bob,

Long time, no post!!

Doesn't new cloth make the game new? I played with Pizza Bob last week at Tacony and they had their tables recently done and boy wasn't that a lesson!! Two words!! POCKET SPEED!!! OUCH!!

Barbara

haywood
10-05-2004, 08:43 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote B0B_PERKINS:</font><hr> ...another one in the High School classroom where I teach...<hr /></blockquote>

Man, wish I could have been your student! A pool table in school!?!?!? Given that opportunity, I would have never made the honor roll!

Rod
10-05-2004, 09:02 PM
Hi Bob,

Long time, you must be busy. Great to hear from you again. I thought Canada must have dried up! LOL It sure makes a difference with good cloth and rails. It's tough to play on slow tables. Did you get a lot of swerve on snooker cloth using spin? That would be an aiming problem if you wasn't real use to it.

We use to play a lot of 9 ball on a 10 foot snooker table and sometimes on a 12 footer as well. We used regular pool balls so the pockets were a bit tight. I don't remember of any snooker table I played on with a heavy nap cloth except for many years ago.

Your doing a good thing. I hope the students realize/enjoy what you bring to them.

Rod

recoveryjones
10-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Good on you changing your cloth and I'm glad you like.It's great that it also plays faster than the snooker cloth.

Snooker cloth also (you probably knew, but some don't) has a nap in it, while pool cloth like Simonis doesn't. When dealing with a nap you are either going with the grain, against the grain or across the grain.Snooker players can adjust and it doesn't come into play too much(in Snooker) as they generally hit tops , bottom and stun and use the rails(and extra space) to get around the table and generally avoid using english except when absolutley nesecary.English is used a whole lot more in pool as the bigger pockets allow so and potting is so much easier than on a tight pocketed snooker table.

When shooting with the nap(grain) or against it, english can take on two different personalities as it responds in a different way.No doubt you are enjoying your new cloth because the english is exactly the same going up and down the table.It makes things much less complicated for sure and that will no doubt improve your shooting success in itself.

When you get to those bigger pockets in the pool hall, I'll bet you shoot with confidence. Your re-clothed table that now plays so much better seems like an awesome training tool. Good on you, RJ

stickman
10-05-2004, 09:36 PM
I love playing on fast cloth. Three of the local poolhalls, and one local bar that host tournaments have recently recovered the tables with much faster cloth. (all 7' bar tables) My game is much better when I can easily move the ball around the table to wherever I what want to go. The extra effort needed on slow cloth tends to hurt my accuracy. I would rather finesse the balls around the table rather then trying the muscle them around. One of the poolhalls shimmed the pockets on the table most used for betting.

Fast cloth~~~~~~the only way to play. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
10-05-2004, 09:44 PM
Jim,

You have three pool rooms there now? Is there enough business? Just curious.

Rod

stickman
10-05-2004, 10:05 PM
Just two poolhalls in Parsons, Rod. I'm considering Chick's Coop in Coffeyville as a local tournament spot. There's are very fast. The bar that holds tournaments is in Parsons.

Stretch
10-06-2004, 05:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote B0B_PERKINS:</font><hr> I've heard lots of guys talking about using pocket reducers to improve their accuracy. Finding tables with tight pockets hasn't been a problem for me as I not only have a 9ft snooker table at home but also another one in the High School classroom where I teach.

However, these days I mostly play 8 or 9-ball. It was always frustrating practicing with the heavier snooker cloth as it played havoc with accurately aiming and still being able to spin the ball around the table.

Recently I decided it was time to replace the rails on my home table as the foot rail had gone soft. I figured this would also be a good time to re-cloth the table as well. It came to me that rather than playing 8-9-ball on snooker style cloth, getting a high quality fast pool cloth would make my practice more effective.

My table now plays fantastic! Rails I can trust to give an accurate bounce and super fast cloth. Not much room for cheating the pockets though;) It's now a pleasure to work whitey around the table without having to make any major adjustments to aiming. Adds a whole new dimension to playing snooker as well. ...Bob <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Bob!! How are you buddy! Glad to see your still at it. I LUV new cloth and rails, your really spoiling yourself arn't ya lol. Wish i was back home again so we could give that table makeover a good goin over, /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Are there any promising pool fenoms in this years crop of kids? St

B0B_PERKINS
10-06-2004, 05:29 PM
Hey Rod... good to hear from you again and I'm still making good use of that jump shot you taught me /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Yeah it's been awhile since I last posted. Just needed a little time away but I've always checked in to keep in touch with the good advice available here. Unfortunately by the time I was ready to post again the Chalkboard would no longer recognize my login. I finally had to get Mike Howerton to delete my original account so I could re-register.

You're right about the swerve problems on the snooker cloth. It just got really frustrating trying to adjust that much. The rails going bad was actually a good thing as it's what motivated me to redo the entire table. The cloth I've got on it now is Champion "Titan" and I actually like it better than the Simonis cloth I've played on. Makes for quite the change on a snooker table.

The billiard club is still going great. I've had a lot of kids pass through since I first set it up. Quite a few have turned into pretty good players not to mention creating some good friendships outside the classroom. The table's now paid for and it's the only club in the school actually making money. What I get out of the experience more than makes up for what I put into it. ...Bob

B0B_PERKINS
10-06-2004, 05:39 PM
Hi Barbara... been awhile but it's good to connect with you guys again. The table is playing amazing now, super fast and "very" tight pockets. Oh how my poor ego takes a beating! Although, on the flip side, I can hardly believe the quality of draw shots I'm capable of now. With the more lively rails I've also been working on my break shot and making good use of the "Racking Secrets" book you turned a lot of us on to some time ago. ...Bob

Barbara
10-06-2004, 05:48 PM
Hey Bob!!

You thank Joe Tucker for that book, baby!! He's the one who spent all that time and trouble to document something that all of us, regardless of our skills and speed, can appreciate and learn from!!

Glad to hear you're keeping the faith and teaching the skills!! Keep up the good work!!

Barbara

B0B_PERKINS
10-06-2004, 05:53 PM
Hay haywood... I know what your saying...;) With my love for the game once I got into teaching it was only a matter of time till I was able to convince one of my principals of the positive connections and attitudes I could build with kids through getting a table in the school. However, I also had to convince him it wouldn't cost either the school or the taxpayers anything.

So you're from Illinois... thats my home state too. I grew up in Chicago and went to University in Carbondale at S.I.U. Unfortunately don't make it back that way as often as I'd like. ...Bob

B0B_PERKINS
10-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Hi recovery and you too stickman... you guys are both right about what a pleasure it is playing on a truly fast cloth and what it can do for your ability to work the ball around the table. I've always played pretty good snooker and have even managed to run the occassional century, although they tend to be few and far between /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif With the snooker cloth it was pretty much necessary to stay on the central axis of the cueball to avoid unwanted swerve but on this fast cloth on a snooker table it adds a whole new and very interesting aspect to the game. Curious to see how long it may take me to run another century now /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif ...Bob

B0B_PERKINS
10-06-2004, 07:01 PM
Howdy Stretch... It's good to see you back on the board too my friend. You've got a lot of wisdom about the game and can certainly lay down a unique turn of phrase in passing it on /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Sounds like you've done a bit of traveling since your east coast time... but I'm sure wherever you are you're still tearing it up on the tables.

Most of my strongest kids have now graduated, mostly young pups now but I do see potential in a couple of em.

My own game has moved up more than just a notch in the last year. Amazing how sometimes things can suddenly lock into place that just didn't seem to even be there the day before. It seems that as long as you keep working at it ya just never stop discovering something new. Now if I could just turn back the clock some twenty years and pick up again from there with what I know now..........

Don't know if you're ever likely to be up this way again but if you are, it'd be my pleasure to give you a tour around the table... besides that I make a pretty good Chicago style pizza. ...Bob