PDA

View Full Version : Does Anyone Know Why JJ Conceded to Ginky?

nhp
10-06-2004, 02:50 AM
A few people asked this question on AZ and nobody seems to know. Does anyone here know why he quit in the middle of his match to Ginky?

RailbirdJAM
10-06-2004, 05:04 AM
I did not attend the World Summit of Pool, but I can provide a hearsay rendition.

Last night, I went to a local $23 weekly tournament at Champions in Laurel, MD. Mike Davis, who is a local in my area, walked in, and I seized the opportunity to ask him about JJ. I, too, was curious and asked him why Jeremy Jones unscrewed his stick on Ginky when the score was only 5-zip, Ginky's favor, in a race to 11.

Mike said Jeremy was getting ready to shoot a fairly easy 9-ball shot in the corner pocket, which would have resulted in him winning his first game. Apparently, a lady walked up to the table, RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE CORNER POCKET, and bent down while Jeremy Jones was in progress of shooting the 9-ball in the corner. Jeremy missed the fairly easy 9-ball shot in the corner pocket as the lady was snapping his picture.

Whether it was the sound and/or flash of the camera that sharked him, I don't know, but after the uncharacteristic miss on a fairly routine shot, he unscrewed his stick and took a forfeit.

Again, this is hearsay, and I was curious, too! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

RailbirdJAM

dooziexx
10-06-2004, 07:32 AM
Its funny how such a little distraction can cause a pool player to miss a fairly routine shot. I dont think that his mental toughness is there to block out everything. Take a pro basketball player attempting a free throw with all the crowd cheering/booing right in front of him and they still manage to make the basket. Now thats concerntration and mental toughness. Pro Pool players, imo, needs to be at that level mentally but they are not.

Deeman2
10-06-2004, 08:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dooziexx:</font><hr> Its funny how such a little distraction can cause a pool player to miss a fairly routine shot. I dont think that his mental toughness is there to block out everything. Take a pro basketball player attempting a free throw with all the crowd cheering/booing right in front of him and they still manage to make the basket. Now thats concerntration and mental toughness. Pro Pool players, imo, needs to be at that level mentally but they are not.

<hr /></blockquote>

I disagree with you on this. Basketball is a game where sounds are there, loud, in every instance and the constant roar is not a major distraction. When a golfer is disrupted in his backswing or a pool player in the middle of his stroke, it's a surprise and not expected. You can play with a juke box blaring as you can anticipate the noise but a sudden burst of any distraction is all it takes to shake anyone. Try "Boo" Pool and you will see what I mean.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Deeman

Pelican
10-06-2004, 09:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RailbirdJAM:</font><hr> the lady was snapping his picture.
Whether it was the sound and/or flash of the camera
RailbirdJAM <hr /></blockquote>

If she actually flashed him in the eyes as he was shooting I think he should have called the TD and requested that the shot be reset and he be allowed to shoot again. I also feel the lady should be asked to leave the tournament.

JMO, Pel

9 Ball Girl
10-06-2004, 11:17 AM
The only problem with this particular atmosphere for this tournament is that 1. it's Grand Central Station, 2. it's located in the heart of New York where hundreds of tourists and/or commuters walk on by, and 3. Tourists are a camera-bearing people.

While I was there on both sides (working the contest table and then I'd go over to the arena side and sweat matches), the majority of the people that I would see flashing away were passersby, mainly tourists. The ones that I didn't see flash away were those who actually sat in the bleachers and were there when Scott announced no flash photography.

cueball1950
10-06-2004, 02:24 PM
Jen...was it Diana Hoppe.....pool pics by Hoppe...mike

9 Ball Girl
10-06-2004, 02:28 PM
Diana wasn't there.