PDA

View Full Version : VP debate

Wally_in_Cincy
10-06-2004, 07:33 AM
In all fairness, after my relentless media bashing, I thought the moderator was very fair.

If I have that opinion, you liberals probably think she was biased toward Cheney /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deeman2
10-06-2004, 08:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> In all fairness, after my relentless media bashing, I thought the moderator was very fair.

If I have that opinion, you liberals probably think she was biased toward Cheney /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I agree, she was quite fair. I did notice that Edwards missed a couple of golden opportunities to question Cheney on Bush's plans to drill for oil in minority grade school parking lots and to serve Bald Eagle at the inauguration dinner.

I thought both men were very well spoken but Cheney seemed to control the debate/lecture on most subjects. I think we have us a race now but wonder how Bush will respond on Friday to his less than stellar performance last week. I hope he makes some simple arguments and does not repeat himself as much.

Deeman

Ross
10-06-2004, 08:57 AM
I thought the moderator was fair, but she was obviously nervous. Her first question, which she had all day to prepare, was a mishmash about troop strength and Al Qaida links, and she stumbled with her words (note the last sentence in each paragraph):

"Vice President Cheney, there have been new developments in Iraq, especially having to do with the administration's handling. Paul Bremer, the former head of the Coalition Provisional Authority, gave a speech in which he said that we have never had enough troops on the ground, or we've never had enough troops on the ground.

Donald Rumsfeld said he has not seen any hard evidence of a link between Al Qaida and Saddam Hussein. Was this approved -- of a report that you requested that you received a week ago that showed there was no connection between Abu Musab al-Zarqawi and Saddam Hussein?"

Ok, maybe I'm being too picky! /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

nAz
10-06-2004, 09:07 AM
WTF???

Whatever the relationship between al Qaeda and Iraq over the years, another question touched on by the debaters was whether Saddam's Iraq had anything to do with the September 11 attacks specifically.

There is no evidence of that. The vice president stated flatly that he has never suggested a connection between Iraq and September 11. But he did say in 2003 that if efforts to establish democracy in Iraq succeeded, "we will have struck a major blow right at the heart of the base, if you will, the geographic base of the terrorists who have had us under assault now for many years, but most especially on 9/11."

CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/10/05/debate.fact.check.ap/index.html)

dg-in-centralpa
10-06-2004, 03:08 PM
I enjoyed Cheneys' response to Edwards on the Gay marriage question. Cheney thanked for the nice comments about him and his family. End of response.

DG - that was classy

highsea
10-06-2004, 04:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>"we will have struck a major blow right at the heart of the base, if you will, the geographic base of the terrorists who have had us under assault now for many years, but most especially on 9/11."<hr /></blockquote>So do you think the ME is not the geographical base of Islamic terrorism? Or do you think Iraq was not "the heart", so to speak, of terrorism in the region? Perhaps you think al-Qaeda is unrelated to Islamic terrorism? Do you think that a democratic Iraq is a bad idea, or not just worth the effort?

I've listened to this hue and cry from the left for so long that it sounds like a broken record, but I guess that's all they can do.

I suppose the statements from both sides of the aisle for the last 12 years about Iraq, the 17 or 18 resolutions, the fact that Saddam Hussein thumbed his nose at the UN and the US, all mean nothing.

Kerry's back and forth position on Iraq, the hundreds of statements by democrats and republicans, the UN and our allies over the years, are all rendered non-existant because Kerry has decided that he is now the "anti-war" candidate.

So we are being asked to forget everything that was said in the past. I guess some find that more difficult to do than others.

Sorry, but the Dems are giving me one giant headache with this phony posturing. If they want to make a valid criticism, fine. Complain about the US Generals who did not ask for more forces in Iraq. Complain about the failings of the Intelligence community around the world who were deceived by Saddam. Splitting hairs over an interpretation of a comment from the administration that was shared by every nation in the free world is a little much, imo.

stickman
10-07-2004, 06:20 PM
Dennis Miller said that both candidates made factual errors in the debate. Cheney said that he never met Edwards before the debate. Edwards said that he was ready to step in as President if he was needed. LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif