PDA

View Full Version : I thought Ginky retired....

dooziexx
10-06-2004, 07:34 AM
A few months back there was an article say that Ginky retired from pool to try his luck in pro poker... What happend? Did he lose all his money in poker and went back to pool?

9 Ball Girl
10-06-2004, 07:39 AM
I know of 2 other players that have jumped on the poker bandwagon. Sure, there's more money there than pool but isn't poker more luck than pool? I don't know much about poker but I was told by a Pro Player whilst in VA who happens to be a good poker player that poker involves a lot of luck. Well, good luck to them anyways.

Dagwood
10-06-2004, 12:14 PM
I play both, and while I will conceed that in the short term luck has a huge roll, over a longer period of time, the more solid player will always win. Luck only lasts so long, and if the weaker player is getting cards to play, and hitting his hands, of course he's going to win. But eventually, he's not going to get the best cards, and at that point, he will probably get mauled.

Simply put though, yes, luck does have a large roll in poker...more so than in pool at least. The idea though is to try and limit the impact that other players luck has on you by keeping your money out of the pot when you don't have the best of it.

Just my two cents...

Dags

cycopath
10-07-2004, 08:48 AM
Look at Moneymaker in the 2003 WSOP. That guy had a horseshoe right up his ass. How many times did he catch a miracle card on the river, to put out a former champion.

Amazing.

And now he's selling "How to play poker" videos.

He should sell "How to get lucky as hell and fluke your way to the final table" videos.

I guess that's why the slogan is "Anyone can win".

Deeman2
10-07-2004, 09:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cycopath:</font><hr> Look at Moneymaker in the 2003 WSOP. should sell "How to get lucky as hell and fluke your way to the final table" videos.

Well, he took the million so he gets the spoils...

I guess that's why the slogan is "Anyone can win". <hr /></blockquote>

That's exactly right. That's why they draw hundreds of entrants at 10 large a pop.

Deeman
would be fitted for that horseshoe!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Steve Lipsky
10-07-2004, 10:31 AM
In today's large fields, you need a lot of luck to win that tournament. Raymer won almost every race this year towards the end. Doesn't mean he's not a great player (he is).

Moneymaker caught cards for sure, but he also made some great reads. And he got unlucky when Ivey turned the full house on him, so even though he then caught a higher full house on the river, it's not like he wasn't supposed to be in the hand.

As to luck in pool vs. poker, there's more luck for sure in poker. But I can play in 10 online tournaments a day (or more); I can play in 8 pro pool tournaments a year. Most of those 10 poker tournaments will have a prize fund higher than the pool tournaments, and I don't have to incur travel expenses to get a shot at it.

You get a bad roll in a poker tournament, there's a new one starting in 10 minutes. Get a bad roll in a pool tournament, you get to go to the airport, fly home, and wait 2 months for the next one.

The talent levels in pool tournaments are also much higher than in poker. For those that truly love the game, a draw of 10 straight killers might sound appealing, but for those that need a payday, it's a disaster. There are a slew of bad poker players in tournaments that just add to the prize fund, but have no hope of cashing.

Finally, at a poker tournament, if you're seated with a real killer, you can choose to quiet down a bit, or get dealt a good hand and beat him anyway. You have no options when you're matched against Reyes, except play your best game and probably lose.

I'll always love pool, but I've become a little disenchanted with its nature. It's not easy to get to tournaments, everybody plays great, and it's damned near impossible to make any money at it.

- Steve

Dagwood
10-07-2004, 12:07 PM
Once again...good post Steve. That's another one of the large drawing factors of poker tournaments nowadays. One can enter a tournament with a bunch of champions, and still have a hope of winning. Tournament format dictates that luck has a much larger factor than in a live game. Similar to what you said, unlike pool, I can go and buy into the WSOP main event, sit at a table with Doyle Brunson, Phil Ivey, Daniel Negraneau, Phil Hellmuth, ect...and still have a chance to win. But if I went and bought into a pool tournament and drew Efren, Busta, Earl, Johnny and Corey...I might as well not show up. Granted, I'll never stop playing pool...it's in my blood at this point. But the focus has deffinitely moved from, "get better so you can actually try to do well in the tournaments, maybe make some money", to "get better just to see how good you can get...for your own satisfaction.". I've found that I enjoy the game much more since that little change in philosophy.

Ciao...Dags