PDA

View Full Version : Hands on experience with the Sardo Tight Rack?

SnakebyteXX
10-06-2004, 07:40 AM
I'm looking for feedback on the Sardo from those of you who own one or have used one. I own my own table and must say that the idea of perfect or near perfect racking every time is appealing.

Right now one of these units can be snagged off EBay for about $100 delivered. That's an awful lot of money to pay for a rack but if it delivers on its promise maybe it would be worth it?

Does it deliver? Is it worth having? Or, are you sorry you bought one (if you did)? If so why?

Snake

HallofFame
10-06-2004, 08:24 AM
Hi,

The Sardo tight rack is JUNK!

This thing only works in tournaments on new cloth, over time your home cloth will develop pits THEN these pits will begin to elongate, now try to use the Sardo rack.

You'll also notice that tournament directors are having the nine ball racked on the spot, this is another problem with the Sardo rack; it racks the balls consistently the same EVERY time which means the players can figure out where and how to hit the rack to make a ball every time.

EVERYTHING today is designed to make WEAKER pro players competitive in the game, these weaker pro players (which are now the top pros) years ago voted to use the 860 cloth in tournament play rather than keeping the 80/20 because 860 is easier to play on.

These are NOT my opinions, the above statements come right from the mouth of a HALL OF FAMER who happens to live by me.

Here is some advice:

PUT YOU OWN DOTS ON THE TABLE.

1. Take your normal rack and place it in the racking position and get your balls racked where
you want them, remove the spot ball
2. Take a black felt pen and put a dot in at the middle of the INSIDE point of the rack
3. Now put a dot at the OUTSIDE of each rear point of the rack

Now when you rack the balls just rack them WITHOUT the spot ball in the rack so you can see
the top dot, after you get the rack set STRAIGHT with all three of your dots just insert the spot ball; VOILA!!!!!!!! There is your very own NONAME tight rack. However, you will over time encounter the same pit and elongation problems; but at least you saved yourself $100.

AGAIN, the above info came directly from a HALL OF FAMER.

I was at his house playing one day and mentioned that I purchase a Sardo rack on e-bay for $22, he IMMEDIATELY went into the above dissertation on the Sardo tight rack and how to do my own dots on the table.

HOWEVER, this is now MY opinion. I believe that when the table cloth begins to pit you should change the cloth anyway. This now makes the Sardo rack a GOOD purchase IF you have $100 you have NOTHING better to do with. BY THE WAY, I did set up my Sardo tight rack and never did get it to work right; that's because for optimum results the Sardo rack MUST train a NEW cloth. NOW, according to the instructions that come with the rack you should be able to train an old cloth to rack the balls. YOU CAN'T. I suppose you can beat the balls into the table by tapping them down but that will break the cloth treads and in time you will see nice neat little holes develop in your cloth.

Sorry about the rant.

Oh, yeah. He also predicted the Sardo rack would be eliminated from the game. HOWEVER, Mr. Sardo (with his $500 incentives) is for now keeping the Sardo tight rack in the game.

Good luck,

Joe

Troy
10-06-2004, 09:03 AM
Don't get me started on the SARDINE GIZMO !!!
I was fortunate enough to be employed at a pool room where the owner bought two and I trained two tables.
Training means creating craters for the balls to fall into after which the GIZMO is un-necessary since the balls simply fall into the craters.
Try slow rolling a ball through that mine-fiel... Great fun.
Save your money and buy a good wood triangle.

Troy...~~~ Just thinking about the SARDINE GIZMO makes my blood pressure rize.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr> I'm looking for feedback on the Sardo from those of you who own one or have used one. I own my own table and must say that the idea of perfect or near perfect racking every time is appealing.

Right now one of these units can be snagged off EBay for about $100 delivered. That's an awful lot of money to pay for a rack but if it delivers on its promise maybe it would be worth it?

Does it deliver? Is it worth having? Or, are you sorry you bought one (if you did)? If so why?

Snake <hr /></blockquote>

ceebee
10-06-2004, 09:04 AM
In defense of Lou Sardo &amp; his good product, I will add this bit of information.

On cloth that is pitted &amp; worn, no rack works well. If you take a wooden rack &amp; finally get the rack to snug up, but it's 4 degrees off center, you won't learn much. Same goes for the Sardo Rack.

If you are trying to learn something about the Break Shot, using a rack that will place the balls snuggly together (on good cloth) is the way to go, because it deletes a lot of variables. The Sardo Rack will do that job. If you just rack so-so, with either rack, you didn't learn squat. If you hit a good rack &amp; watch the balls go round, you can learn something. Video is the way to go, so you can analyze your practice.

The fact is, the Sardo Rack racked so perfectly, making balls was a cinch. But the player still had to learn the speed and the shot line to accomplish this. If you learn how to break up a good rack, you have accomplished something. Modifying the stroke &amp; speed to deal with less than perfect racks is everybody's task.

Good Luck to you.

Billy_Bob
10-06-2004, 10:06 PM
Many of the traditional wood/plastic racks are not capable of a tight rack due to poor design. I had an old plastic rack which racked differently depending on which corner you used! And I bought two new wood racks which I had to sand or stick tape on the inside to get them to rack properly. This was with a new set of balls.

I also got a Sardo rack and by purchasing/using it, I learned how to train the cloth, align the Sardo and wood racks and mark the cloth so all racks would be the same, etc. Now I use the Sardo a few times a day to keep the cloth trained and alternate with a wood rack as this is a "quick rack" and the Sardo takes me longer to rack.

I use the Sardo every time when practicing break shots.

If you're serious about your game, I think it would be a good lesson to learn about the bad racking equipment as well as the good.

Chris Cass
10-06-2004, 10:14 PM
Hi Snake,

I'll tell you what. In Vegas Sardo has a break contest for speed and is measured with a radar gun. If I ever win in which I doubt it. I did it to test the break speed but paid the $5. to try it. They put me in the contest as there was no other way. They said if I did win I'd get a Sardo rack for free. After I explained to them that I merely wanted to know my current break speed and that they could keep it. They weren't exactly smiling. lol

I'll tell you what though. If I ever do win one I'll personally give it to you as a gift. You will have to pay the shipping though because we hardly know eachother that well. lol

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
10-06-2004, 10:21 PM
Hi BB,

A good wooden rack should run you about $30. anything less is not so good. I'm glad you mentioned that the balls were new. Old balls don't rack right to begin with due to the 1 mainly and the first 9 because that's what your mainly playing in the halls. The 1 ball will wear down the finish after time and takes the brunt of the break each time. The cb being second in the wear catagory. imho

I don't really have anything against the Sardo rack but mainly the training of the cloth. If you didn't need to train the cloth then the Sardo would just be a heavy rack and do the same thing as any other I suppose.

Regards,

C.C.

JimS
10-07-2004, 05:08 AM
I don't know about the quality of other wood racks but I can certainly vouch for the Diamond rack! I've not used the Sardo but I can tell you that about 90% of the comments I've heard about it are negative, especially as regards what it does to the table. The only positive comment I"ve heard is that the racks it produces are tight and repeatable.

Go to www.diamondbilliard.com (http://www.diamondbilliards.com) and check out their racks. TOP quality and they look good and if you have any "players" coming to your house to play they'll know that you know what's good for your game and not just a gimmick. They'll like playing with the Diamond rack because it's a quality piece of billiard equipment. Very cool piece of top notich equipment. (edited because I had to correct the Diamond link.) /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif