PDA

View Full Version : Black Belt Billiards

Wally_in_Cincy
10-06-2004, 07:47 AM
Black Belt Billiards

I bought this book over a year ago and it helped my game a lot. I still have not made it all the way thru because I, like many of you, don't really enjoy doing drills.

After losing 2 weeks in a row due to a couple of missed shots and some bad rolls I dusted off my BBB Monday afternoon before I went to APA 8-ball league and did drills for about 90 minutes.

That night I played the best pool I have played in a long time. My opponent broke, came up dry and I ran the table. I beat him 4-1. The only shot I missed led to his only win.

Just informing any new CCBers about this book in case they are unaware of it. Best $19.95 I have ever spent.

woody_968
10-06-2004, 07:52 AM
True Wally, its one of the best values in billiard books. But like all the others its worthless unless they actually USE it /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Woody - hasnt made it all the way through the book yet either /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

SPetty
10-06-2004, 11:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Black Belt Billiards

Just informing any new CCBers about this book in case they are unaware of it. Best $19.95 I have ever spent. <hr /></blockquote>Thanks for the impetus, Wally, I've been meaning to dig mine out again as well.

Here's the web page (http://members.aol.com/blkbeltbilliards/index.html) .

Chris Cass
10-06-2004, 12:43 PM
Wally,

Your suppose to bring it out once a week just to read my name under acknoledgments. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

HAHAHAHAHA

dg-in-centralpa
10-06-2004, 04:47 PM
Looks like I'll have to get a copy with C.C. in the acknowledgements and all the good reports. I choked last night in league. After my opponnet playing 6 - 7 safes straight, I finally got a decent cut and didn't even look at it, shot and choked. I was embarrassed. I should have won both games but lost both.

DG - next weeks another game

Chris Cass
10-06-2004, 10:32 PM
Hmmmm made me think of a new post. maybe, we can all help eachother out here?

C.C.~~don't buy it for my aknowledgement. buy it for SPetty' /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

socrates
10-26-2004, 11:16 AM
Thanks to all for their kind words.

I have a personal situation I am working through so I am not playing much or visiting the board very often.

In a couple of months I hope to get back to playing more.

Wishing all the great people I have met on the CCB, all the best.

Cheers,

catscradle
10-26-2004, 11:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Black Belt Billiards

Just informing any new CCBers about this book in case they are unaware of it. Best $19.95 I have ever spent. <hr /></blockquote>

I also bought the book in about the same time frame and I do concur that it is a good book and an excellent approach to training. Unfortunately I find I lack the self-discipline to stick with it when I repeatedly fail to make one of the defined goals. Some of them are very tough and quite discouraging. I suppose the right way to do it is to go to whatever level you can in each drill and do more drills, but if things are laid out sequentially, I do them sequential not in pararell.
I don't regret buying it and someday I may return to trying to use it, but if you buy the book bear in mind that it can be discouraging at points and may wind up collecting dust.

woody_968
10-26-2004, 12:50 PM
This is a good point catscradle. For those that do get the book dont get so hung up on one drill that you wont let yourself move forward. The zero tolerance drill is a great example. IMO if there is a drill that anyone finds difficult, they should try it a few times each day but then move on. Doing a drill that we cant complete for hours on end will NOT help our game, but giving the same drill a few minutes each day over time will. There must be positive feed back during practice or we walk away with less confidence than we had when we started.

catscradle
10-26-2004, 12:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr> ... The zero tolerance drill is a great example...<hr /></blockquote>

That happens to be the exact drill to which I was alluding.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-26-2004, 01:13 PM
I concluded months ago that that one was impossible /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rod
10-26-2004, 01:37 PM
What is that drill? I don't have the book, just curious. I think it's the shot in the side? wei table. At any rate once you believe or trust your stroke it all becomes possible. I agree with others if you keep failing it's time to move on. That doesn't mean give up though.

Rod

woody_968
10-26-2004, 02:03 PM
It is the shot in the side, simple shot, but the cueball cant move at all after contact. No spin, no forward or side movement. I allowed myself to get hung up on it for a while, then moved on to other things.

Terry
10-26-2004, 02:08 PM
Hi Rod, I think your right this looks like the shot their talking about.You have to stop the cueball dead in its tracks.START(
%A^8E6%Ph0O4%Xg9O2%eB4a6

)END

Keith Talent
10-26-2004, 02:10 PM
Amen! A friend loaned me the book after finding it too difficult, and when we hit some a few weeks ago, I decided I'd show him how nearly impossible it is. As it turned out, I just about nailed it, but the cb moved a fraction of a hair on at least one of the three tries ...

Rod, don't have the book in front of me, but I believe it's a straight-in shot to the corner with ob on the foot spot, cb near the side pocket, with enough room to get your hand down.

SPetty
10-26-2004, 02:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> What is that drill? <hr /></blockquote>It's "That #%@*&amp;# Zero Tolerance Drill!!!!!!! " Here's the original post (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=119576&amp;page=&amp;vi ew=&amp;sb=&amp;o=&amp;vc=1) with more info...

Rod
10-26-2004, 03:05 PM
Now I remember, total recall. LOL You guys are putting to much into this. Even the best players might get a little wiggle. Heck the colth could have a funny spot.

If anything is preventing you from having a decent average I suspect it's getting tense. You make a couple then put pressure on yourself trying to make that perfect stroke instead of letting it happen.

Like I said in the other thread you'll need to draw or follow this shot countless times before you have to stop it dead perfect. Now if the c/b moves over a 1/4" you should practice stop shots. Even at that accuracy it's works 99. % of the time playing position. Move on practice other shots and develope your stroke, then go back from time to time to see if you improved in that area. Pool is seldom a game of perfect. If you treat it as such you in for a lot of dissapointments.

Rod

JimS
10-27-2004, 05:01 AM
Bump

Wally_in_Cincy
10-27-2004, 05:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr>

...You guys are putting to much into this. Even the best players might get a little wiggle. Heck the colth could have a funny spot.

Like I said in the other thread you'll need to draw or follow this shot countless times before you have to stop it dead perfect....

... Pool is seldom a game of perfect. If you treat it as such you in for a lot of dissapointments.

<hr /></blockquote>

I feel the same way about Kinister shot #1, where the CB is supposed to roll forward 2 1/4" and replace the position of the OB exactly.

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

START(
%Ah3Y1%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%P]5W5%Ur0Z7%Vi6Y4%]f2X9%^^6W7
)END

Rod
10-27-2004, 09:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I feel the same way about Kinister shot #1, where the CB is supposed to roll forward 2 1/4" and replace the position of the OB exactly.

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

START(
%Ah3Y1%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%P]5W5%Ur0Z7%Vi6Y4%]f2X9%^^6W7
)END

<hr /></blockquote>

Well at least this shot comes up more often. Another form of the shot is draw it 2 or 3 inches.

How many times have you had a longer or even short straight in shot? If you stop it there you're straight in on the next shot. That won't work because you need angle to play position on the next ball. You have to go back or forward slightly for the angle needed. This shot will come up fairly often.

It's all good to know but not worth getting frustrated over. If that happens move on but come back and revisit. It just a reality check.

I listened to a story about Harvey Pennic. A friend of his had problems with his golf swing. Harvey said he'd have a look. He watched his friend hit something like 17 shanks in a row. His responce was similar to, put his arms around his friends shoulder and said, lets try this another day.

Rod