PDA

View Full Version : Good and bad rolls

Wally_in_Cincy
10-06-2004, 07:59 AM
I think some nights when we think we are playing bad it is actually due to the rolls more than anything else. They come and go so unpredictably.

Last week, playing 8-ball, I pocketed the 10 trying to get to position A. The CB, due to an unlevel table, rolled into the side.

START(
%CM4X2%H]6X3%JG5H3%KP4D9%Oe5D8%PN7M4%Q]6D4%UD4D8%VF6G1%WH7I5
%XL8L6%]D2I1%^F7I2%_[2D0%`V3F0%aC8H0
)END

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

Monday night, I shot the 4 and due to an unlevel table, I made the ball. The 4-ball was off the rail at one point by 1/2" to 1" and it curved in.

START(
%Al5U5%Bm1M2%CB6B6%DJ1Z4%Eb9E3%Fq9R2%GK4E1%HR8L1%I L7O4%J`6F6
%KO2L0%LJ5N2%ML3S4%NG6R3%OM1H2%PE3U8%]H7Y4%^F0V5%_q5[0%`b3Z4
%aK4Z8
)END

woody_968
10-06-2004, 10:21 AM
Sometimes rolls play a big part in the outcome of a match, and you have given a couple of good examples. But I will also say that too many times people like to say they got a bad roll when in reality they hit a bad shot.

With the exeption of a table rolling off, the cueball goes where we hit it. Many times someone will scratch and say it was a bad roll, but they simply chose the wrong path to take the cueball. Sometimes the cueball rolls off and scratches which can look like a bad roll, but most of the time they shouldnt have taken the cueball that close to the pocket anyway.

I think most players would improve if they stopped saying "I got a bad roll" and started trying to understand how they could have hit the shot differently to avoid letting what just happend happen.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-06-2004, 10:47 AM
Wally,

Rolls even out over the long run.
Table conditions should be the advantage of the Home team.

Besides, if you can't buy a good roll, it's because John G. bought the store out.

Deeman2
10-06-2004, 11:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> The CB, due to an unlevel table, rolled into the side.

Monday night, I shot the 4 and due to an unlevel table, I made the ball. <hr /></blockquote>

Gee, Wally where do you play? Let's level those tables up a bit!

Deeman
never got a roll...

Popcorn
10-06-2004, 11:57 AM
If you are playing a a table that rolls off a little you only seem remember the times bad things happen. You forget the time the guy missed and you would have been snookered but a roll off put the cue ball in the open. Our minds just seem to work like that. If you are playing on a good table there are no good or bad rolls when you are shooting. Nothing happens till you set things in motion. What could be perceived as a bad roll may be more a bad choice and you did not leave a margin of error for yourself in case something does not go as planned. Either way, it is always your fault.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-06-2004, 11:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> Gee, Wally where do you play? <hr /></blockquote>

Every friggin' honky-tonk in Hamiltucky /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It's hard to keep bar tables level when you have idiots picking up one end and dropping them when a ball gets stuck /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
10-06-2004, 12:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Wally,

Rolls even out over the long run.....<hr /></blockquote>

Yep. That's the only thing that kept me from pulling my hair out when my cue ball rolled into that side pocket. My captain said by the look on my face he thought I was going to get violent /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally &lt;~~ rarely gets violent

Wally_in_Cincy
10-06-2004, 12:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> ....What could be perceived as a bad roll may be more a bad choice and you did not leave a margin of error for yourself in case something does not go as planned. Either way, it is always your fault. <hr /></blockquote>

You are correct of course, but being an intermediate player I am subject to giving myself bad rolls and also receiving some good ones. Using the example of an unlevel table may not have been the best example to initiate this discussion with.

For example, here I am shooting at the 13 and hoping to break the 8-ball out. I am on the hill at 3-1 so I am shooting aggressively.

http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

START(
%Am4N4%BK0U4%CG7R6%DP3L5%EM8T5%FK4R3%GK6N8%HL3T0%I[7\6%J[1B3
%KC0B7%Lt8[9%MJ3Z6%NB8\7%Os9C0%PZ0T7%UL4Z5%VX4U3%WK6V9%XK4Y7
%]D7[2%^H7Z8
)END

I am not good enough to know exactly where the 8 and the CB will go. After the shot I am left with a bank shot on the 8. I consider that a good roll. It could have disastrous against a strong safety player.

BTW this is my 8-ball bank shot.

START(
%Am4N4%BD9X8%CJ6I9%DP3L5%EL4W2%FN3Q2%GI5Q2%HJ9W3%I[7\6%J[1B3
%KC0B7%Lt8[9%MB9\4%NB8\7%Os9C0%PK2S2%UK2U5%VK1T0%WJ5Z4%XJ6W6
%]C7D7%^I6Z8%eA6a4
)END

If I had shot the 8 at the true angle required I would have hit the 5 first. I put 1 1/2 tips of left english on it and made it cross-corner. It was a pretty shot. My opponent just shook his head as he unscrewed /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Excuse me for boasting, I get such little opportunity to do so /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif