PDA

View Full Version : Youth in pool rooms

bomber
10-06-2004, 10:08 AM
I have been around pool for a long time and I started going to pool rooms since i was 14 or 15. Do you guys/gals enjoy seeing young people in the pool room you frequent or would you rather see them stay away.

bomber
10-06-2004, 10:10 AM
ill be the first to reply to my own query. I am a teacher now and I am only 23. I think kids should come to the pool rooms with parents/responsible guardians in the afternoons or during the days on weekends. Parents really should be involved if their child is going to be active in billiards. We all must admit that some pool rooms are not the place for kids. Parents should scope out the rooms and decide on the times and places their kids should play.

Popcorn
10-06-2004, 10:17 AM
I have no problem with it. It has been my experience that they seem to act more mature when adults then around people their own age. Like you said I would not want kids hanging around a biker bar but a nice billiard room is fine. When I was a kid you could not go in a pool room unless you were 21, accompanied by a parent, Had written permission from the parent on file in the room, or were in the military, it was a state law. Hard to believe anyone learned to play back then.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-06-2004, 10:19 AM
Teenagers really don't bother me much unless they are punk teenage boys. After watching my punk nephew throughout his teenage years I have developed a severe hatred of punk teenage boys who think they are bad-asses.

The place I usually go, you have to be 18 or with a parent. The places that cater to kids I rarely go to.

landshark77
10-06-2004, 10:53 AM
I personally don't have a problem with them at all, however, every single pool hall that was open in my local area has failed do to punk kids. Being that I was a punk kid myself, I can understand where they are coming from and what their intentions are. The problem comes in when the serious players come they really don't want to deal with punk kid BS and thus they start playing elsewhere and the establishment closes. The only local place to play in my area now is bars, unless you want to travel a bit. As far as parents coming with them I would say it would depend on the age of the kid. I would say any 16 year old is old enough to go my him/herself, as long as their parents raised them right and they know proper etiquette.
Just MO.

NH_Steve
10-06-2004, 11:01 AM
Young people need to get into the game somewhere, or they'll just pass it by! One of the current trends I see in a couple of the local rooms is a lot fewer teens and twenties aged players coming in these days -- and that is a major concern, imho.

Of course, I don't like 7 of 'em crowded around the table right next to me if I'm in a semi-serious game! If I am in a more serious game, it is most likely to be in a more serious room anyway, though /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A lot of older generation players started in Boy's Clubs or YMCA, by the way -- or bowling alley's that also had pool tables adjacent. In fact, both Boston Shorty and Norm 'The Farmer' Webber -- and certainly many other oldtime greats -- started as pin-setters (before automated bowling pin-setting equipment, when kids set the pins by hand!)

SPetty
10-06-2004, 12:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NH_Steve:</font><hr> Young people need to get into the game somewhere, or they'll just pass it by! One of the current trends I see in a couple of the local rooms is a lot fewer teens and twenties aged players coming in these days -- and that is a major concern, imho.<hr /></blockquote>I hate to bring it up, but the reason is smoking. I HATE how I reek after playing pool for a few hours, but I love the game. I HATE how I have to breathe the second hand smoke for hours at a time. I HATE how I can't take a deep breathe to settle down without feeling like I'm dying just a little bit every time. There's no way I'd expect any non-smoking non-real-pool-playing person to spend time in the pool room. Everyone I work with are non-smokers. There's no way I could invite my co-workers out for an evening of fun at the pool hall. And given a choice, I'd NEVER take a child or young person into one.

I'm not a raving anti-smoker. I actually consider myself a non-practicing smoker - like an alcoholic that doesn't drink.

The future of pool will never succeed or grow until non-smoking pool rooms become successful. That won't happen because most pool players are smokers. It's a nasty Catch-22 situation. And yes, it's a major concern.

As for the original question... I don't prefer young people in the pool rooms.

Deeman2
10-06-2004, 12:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote NH_Steve:</font><hr> Young people need to get into the game somewhere, or they'll just pass it by! One of the current trends I see in a couple of the local rooms is a lot fewer teens and twenties aged players coming in these days -- and that is a major concern, imho.<hr /></blockquote>

You make a good point or two. I would rather not see the ball bangers that hang en mass around a table and suspect the real players we get among the youth are not from these groups as I see many young and talented players and they are playing serious games with an opponent or two. Maybe we should "Invite" some of these younger players to play with the grownups every once in a while. Some would learn and might pick up the game faster. I know, you can't tell a 16 year old anything, you couldn't tell me anything when I was that age. However, I don't ever remember playing pool casually like the ones we see now. Pool was serious from the first day I played it. Were any of you that way or did you decide to take it more seriously after ball banging a while?

Deeman
inquiring minds want to know.....

bsmutz
10-06-2004, 12:31 PM
In the pool room I frequent, there are quite a few youngsters both working and playing most of the time. The regulars behave pretty well and I don't mind them at all. Even the kids I see come in and play for an hour or two here or there are pretty well behaved also. The only time I get bothered is when they don't pay attention to the players around them and you have to ask them to move so you can shoot a shot. Occasionally you'll see someone acting childish, but mostly they are tolerable. I don't mind having them play in the same hall as long as they act responsibly.

bomber
10-06-2004, 12:32 PM
i took it seriously from the start but that varies from person to person. Passion and desire have a lot to do with it...so does maturity.

Chris Cass
10-06-2004, 12:38 PM
Hi Bomber,

I replied yes but, with a condition of age. Irf they're say under 13 then I don't care for it. Unless, they're parrents are around. I work the counter and they don't pay me to baby sit.

I won't stand for running around and will let them know right away. I don't mind if they're 14-17 as long as they don't start banging the house cues and run around playing grab a$$. That only makes me pi$$ed off. I won't stand for anyone disrupting others or making a mess for me to clean up either. I won't stand for any equipment abuse.

Now, 17-19 is ok but I won't let then stay when they just come in to hang and not spend a dime. They'll try to come in and two people will shoot while 6 of their friends just smoke and take up space. You have to spend some money because that's why my boss is paying me.

They'll try and sit at the food booths and not even buy a damm coke. They won't be there long as I give those booths to people that like to eat. I've even had some think it's cool to sit their a$$ on the booth table. I'll simply trell them they have to buy food or move from the area. Also, remind them that people eat off that table and please don't sit on them.

Now, 18-21 if they respect the equipment and spend some money and once in awhile come in to watch? I don't don't mind a bit. I also let the regulars get away wioth more because I know what they spend there. I won't however let anyone abuse the equipment no matter who they are. I'll also throw out the owners sons Jesse and Jamie if they get out of hand and I really don't care.

They don't though and they show me respect for resopecting their fathers wishes and run the place as if I'm representing him.

I do like to throw out the 95 yr olds because I don't like them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Deeman2
10-06-2004, 12:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bomber:</font><hr> i took it seriously from the start but that varies from person to person. Passion and desire have a lot to do with it...so does maturity. <hr /></blockquote>

Bomber:

I started at the Boy's Club in Memphis at about age 10. The only way to play was to hold the table and we never wanted to give it up. It took several weeks before I won my first game against the older kids. My step-father (called Hank the Crank) had been a great player out of Blythville, Arkansas during it's heyday and taught me a lot about the game. He is now 75 and still has the sweetest stroke I have seen to this day. I just never understood playing "I don't care" pool. Thanks for your reply.

Deeman
...still wants the last two from Pop!

kyle
10-06-2004, 01:02 PM
The pool room I shoot in offers free pool night on tuesdays, this usually attracts a bunch of kids. Most of them have no clue about how to behave in a pool hall they're running aroud,yelling,10 kids to a table etc. I've seen this same group bring there own radio to listen to. It's not so much that it's there fault but the staff is oblivious to this aswell. I never thought I'd say it but I never play on free pool night.

landshark77
10-06-2004, 02:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> Pool was serious from the first day I played it. Were any of you that way or did you decide to take it more seriously after ball banging a while?

Deeman
inquiring minds want to know..... <hr /></blockquote>

Deeman- I never picked up a cue until I was 17 or 18. It wasn't a serious thing for me at all. It was purely something to do while waiting for something "better" to come along. I started taking it more seriously around 20, but I have never been more dedicated to it than I have been in the past 9 mos to a year. It's become somewhat of an addiction. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

houseman
10-06-2004, 02:41 PM
Chris Cass, you souund just like me, I put up with no bullstuff at all from anyone. just the kind of employee I would hire.

Chris Cass
10-06-2004, 03:52 PM
Hi Houseman,

It's Mickey right? Anyway, thanks for the compliment. I just want a smooth free flowing shift without any problems. I want all people regardless of race, color, sex or age to have a place they can come and play without fear or interuption from enjoying themselves and just relaxing. I believe that's what my boss wants but I think he doesn't much care about too many things. I know he doesn't want to have to throw anyone out and I know he likes to make money.

I probably shouldn't say he doesn't care but I find he lets nothing much get to him. I know he likes me working for him. I do my best to try to get a handle on everything and one thing that I cannot stand is someone that defaces the place or it's equipment. It doesn't seem respectful to the ones who provide it to them.

I try and that's all I can do my whole 16 hrs a week. That's max BTW. LOL

Thank you again for the compliment,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
10-06-2004, 04:03 PM
"I don't prefer young people in the pool rooms."

Where do you draw the line, what age?

"There's no way I could invite my co-workers out for an evening of fun at the pool hall."

You certainly have a low opinion of pool rooms for a pool player. You don't think there are any nice rooms, smoking or other wise?

"The future of pool will never succeed or grow until non-smoking pool rooms become successful. That won't happen because most pool players are smokers."

Why are most pool players smokers, how do you arrive at that generality?

To be honest, I would be more worried if my kid was a fat out of shape blob hanging around burger king then the local pool room. Forget about smoking, the real killer in this country is sugar and obesity.

SPetty
10-06-2004, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"I don't prefer young people in the pool rooms."

Where do you draw the line, what age? <hr /></blockquote>I don't draw any line. I have no control over who is in the room and who isn't. I was just answering the original post.

[ QUOTE ]
"There's no way I could invite my co-workers out for an evening of fun at the pool hall."

You certainly have a low opinion of pool rooms for a pool player. You don't think there are any nice rooms, smoking or other wise? <hr /></blockquote>There may be nice rooms, but there are no non-smoking rooms. All, yes All of the pool rooms that I play in leave me, my hair, my clothes stinking and reeking. My eyes burn while playing and they burn and get cloudy for hours afterwards. Not to mention my nose and throat... Yet I still play. I love the game.

[ QUOTE ]
"The future of pool will never succeed or grow until non-smoking pool rooms become successful. That won't happen because most pool players are smokers."

Why are most pool players smokers, how do you arrive at that generality?<hr /></blockquote>I don't know why most pool players smoke. I arrive at that generality by looking at the pool players smoking. Keep in mind when I talk of "pool players", I'm generally talking about the evening players, as that's my main exposure to the rooms, so maybe it's a different crowd than during the day.

I think that smokers have drifted towards the pool rooms as the last bastion where it is "okay" to smoke openly and without guilt or any real concern that they're bothering others. (I'm not saying they're inconsiderate smokers - they are considerate. Remember, I'm not passing any judgment on smokers here, so don't get defensive about that.)

[ QUOTE ]
To be honest, I would be more worried if my kid was a fat out of shape blob hanging around burger king than the local pool room. Forget about smoking, the real killer in this country is sugar and obesity. <hr /></blockquote>Yes, sugar and obesity is a killer, but let's not "forget about smoking". Smoking hurts and kills too, but it also has a reputation for hurting those who aren't smoking. Me being fat isn't hurting you.

Popcorn
10-06-2004, 05:52 PM
"I'm not passing any judgment on smokers here, so don't get defensive about that."

Not being defensive, I have never smoked.

Barbara
10-06-2004, 06:15 PM
Popcorn,

So second hand smoke in a pool hall doesn't bother you in the least? Really?? I was under the impression that you are so health conscious and now I read that second hand smoke doesn't rock your lungs? Oh, WHOOPS!!

Ever since I quit, my sense of smell came back to me and I can't stand even talking to someone who's been smoking! I have to turn away or ask them to cover their mouth.

Barbara~~~smoke kills me, period... but good for you...

SPetty
10-06-2004, 07:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> "I'm not passing any judgment on smokers here, so don't get defensive about that."

Not being defensive, I have never smoked. <hr /></blockquote>Hi Popcorn,

I didn't intend to suggest you were being or would be defensive - it was just a lame pre-emptive strike for possible on-lookers looking for a fight. I just wanted to make sure it is understood that I'm not one of those rabid anti-smoking people. I don't like to fight, especially about personal choices.

I'm envious of whatever public pool room environment you have that doesn't leave you reeking and stinking and burning after several hours of playing in the evening that you would be comfortable inviting a crowd of non-smoking office workers to.

ppgr
10-06-2004, 07:15 PM
excellent observations,Cris

Dagwood
10-06-2004, 08:10 PM
SPetty said:

"There may be nice rooms, but there are no non-smoking rooms. All, yes All of the pool rooms that I play in leave me, my hair, my clothes stinking and reeking. My eyes burn while playing and they burn and get cloudy for hours afterwards. Not to mention my nose and throat... Yet I still play. I love the game."

I'll trade you SPetty...you can move out here to Cali where the poolhalls are smoke free, and I'll go bask in your smoke laden poolhalls where you are. Seems like a good trade off to me. Every time I come out here, (military sends me out here periodically), I can't get used to the smoke free environment for a while. Throws me off...something's missing. Ahhh...the SMOKE! What would I do without the pea-soup thick cloud of smoke hanging fromt he ceiling that the smoke-eaters havn't gotten too yet? (breath alot easier, probably)...wow...this just turned from a light hearted quote, to a sarcastic rant on smoke filled poolhalls...I digress.

in regards to the question, I think that kids in the poolhalls are great,(young teenagers that is...under 16), as long as they have parents there to show them the proper manner in which to act. Just like anyone else here, the bangers and inconsiderate youths who always manage to group around the one table in the house that has money on it never ceases to annoy me.

Ciao...Dags

Chris Cass
10-06-2004, 10:07 PM
Do what? lol Please elaberate on this one for me.

Regards,

C.C.

JimS
10-07-2004, 06:06 AM
I like what I grew up with.

The hall I grew up in helped me grow up. I was 14 and the rules were you couldn't go in Brads unless you were 16. I kept on sneaking in the back door and getting kicked out but they eventually gave in to my persistance.

I had to keep my mouth shut and play pool in order to be allowed to stay. There was no music. There was no TV. BRADS WAS FOR PLAYING POOL. Anyone who got rowdy was kicked out. Cussing was not allowed, at least not the F word (the 50's were like that). Girls were not allowed (that's the one thing I would change....assuming the girls that came in were there to play pool).

If those or similar rules were in effect I'd love to have "kids" around. No music. No running around. They'd have to act like pool players to be admitted to my pool hall.

I'm excited about the future of pool here. A new upscale room is opening in just a few days and I assume it will be for adults only as food and alcohol will be served. The place has 8 new 9ft Gold Crowns so pool will be played in this place! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif That will be so cool. The first time in maybe 30 years that there has been a place to play pool, real pool, with adults...with serious pool players on serious equipment. Do you know how much that means...to have that come back into my life? That's big. It even brings tears of gratitude to my eyes as I type. WOW. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I"ve got this beautiful Diamond Pro sitting 6 ft from me and until this week I hadn't uncovered it in 7 months. I just got tired of playing by myself with no place to go play pool with other guys. So....I just got burnt out on pool. The disappointment of not being able to play with people left me not wanting to even pick up the stick all spring and summer. Now it's changing and with a place to see and play with my pool playing adult friends I'll be in heaven. But....frankly I doubt that this town will be able to support the place. I don't think it will stay open more that a year. Once the newness wears off it will die. Sad but true. That's the way it will work. Pool just doesn't draw here in this town of 30k. It won't work /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif........but I'm going to love it while it's here. (don't mean to be negative...just being realistic, pragmatic) Pool doesn't draw here AND this year we lost our two biggest factory employers so folks won't have money to buy $6 cheesburgers and play pool on GC's for top dollar (dont' know what the rates will be yet). Folks just won't have the $$$ to go out and recreate. And if they do find a few extra $$$ in the months budget those who do "go out" will spend it on alcohol, pot and meth....not pool.

landshark77
10-07-2004, 06:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> No music. <hr /></blockquote>

Agh, you are killing me here. This would make me a complete mess. It doesn't have to be loud music, or even good music for that matter, but something has to be playing in the background. Am I nuts for thinking this way?

Popcorn
10-07-2004, 07:03 AM
Why so sarcastic? My father once told me the only thing worse then a alcoholic is an ex-alcoholic, may be the same with smokers.
Second hand smoke does bothers me. I don't go to most pool rooms in my area because of it. I am just not big on regulations when it comes to such things. Smoking is legal and to pass laws that can impact so strongly on someone's business I think may be wrong. To run a smoking or nonsmoking pool room should be up to the operator. Whether you go there or not should be up to the patron. It is your choice to go to that pool room or not. That was why my analogy about food. Places like Burger King or products like Coke are actually slowly killing people. Rights have to be respected on both sides, even the right to poison yourself if that is what you choose. I believe there is a place for smoking laws when it comes to some public places but not in private business.

SnakebyteXX
10-07-2004, 07:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Rights have to be respected on both sides, even the right to poison yourself if that is what you choose. <hr /></blockquote>

What if by exercising the right to poison yourself you are also poisoning others (IE 'second-hand smoke')? How could that be right?

Snake &lt;-- wondering if these two rights might make a wrong.

Popcorn
10-07-2004, 08:46 AM
That argument does not fly when you consider you don't have to go where smoking is permitted. Don't like smoke, stay out. I am anti smoking as far as my opinion goes, but not to the point I tell people what they should or should not do.

Popcorn
10-07-2004, 10:41 AM
I am not disagreeing with you and every situation is unique but! You should not judge the value of a customer by how much they spend. If they are not bothering anyone let them stay. There is value in having warm bodies in a place, it looks like a happening place. No one wants to go to an empty place. I would never go in an empty restaurant, it would seem like there was a reason why no one was there. People walk into empty places and turn around and leave. To be honest, it is hard for people to avoid spending what little money they have. You don't want them taking up booth space that is meant for people to sit and eat but in general leave them be.

My wife and I once went in a pool room in I think up state NY. There was not a person in the place, just a miserable looking old guy behind the desk. I asked the guy if it got busier a little later on and he said yes. We came back that night and there was like three people in the place. As we left we discovered why. There was a sign over the door that said, "If you have nothing to do, don't do it here". Pool rooms have always been places to hang out and you never know the real value of a customer. A poolroom or bar is a unique business, not like a tire store or shoe store. These people come in because they want to not because they need to. Some would rather be in your place more then their own homes and may spend more time with you then their own families. They become more then customers they become your friends. Make the place a fun place to come, try to not be so hard and never just look at someone as a dollar sign. If that is the case, you are in the wrong business.

landshark77
10-07-2004, 11:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SnakebyteXX:</font><hr>
What if by exercising the right to poison yourself you are also poisoning others (IE 'second-hand smoke')? How could that be right?

<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah guys, second hand smoke kills. You hear it ALL the time. That is the main reason why I smoke. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I don't need second hand smoke killing me!

Don't you think we have gotten off the subject a bit? Hasn't this already been debated, or was that another forum?

bsmutz
10-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Although I think Popcorn is a little judgemental with his posts sometimes, I have to say I agree with him here. Kids need a place to hang out that is safe and fun. We all know what can happen when they don't. The kids I see just hanging out in the local pool room here don't really cause a lot of problems. The manager has a bunch of kids that work the place and he talks to the kids that come in, helps them with their game, plays with them, etc. How many of those kids are going to get addicted to pool and become regular customers when they get a job? Instead of kicking them out, I'd start talking to them and get to know them. Let them know that they are welcome. Once you know them, they are a lot easier to communicate with and if they see you respect them as people, they are less likely to retaliate for getting the boot. You can also let them know that you have a business and that you expect them to respect you &amp; other customers by moving when your are down to your last table (as well as other rules and behavioral concerns). I still think (hope?) that the majority of people (young &amp; old) want to do what's right and be considerate of others (as long as they're not driving). I can certainly understand where Chris is coming from as an unruly group of kids can certainly be a handful for any proprietor. My wife and I used to craft shows and it wasn't unusual for parents to let their kids touch and play with our ceramic pieces. Too often they would break something and then not want to pay for it. That would be a major concern in a pool hall where consideration for others is important to avoid conflicts and broken/defaced equipment.

SnakebyteXX
10-07-2004, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kids need a place to hang out that is safe and fun. We all know what can happen when they don't. The kids I see just hanging out in the local pool room here don't really cause a lot of problems. The manager has a bunch of kids that work the place and he talks to the kids that come in, helps them with their game, plays with them, etc. How many of those kids are going to get addicted to pool and become regular customers when they get a job? <hr /></blockquote>

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Those kids ARE the customers of the future. If you can take the time to teach them that they can have fun at the game - Or lacking that simply help them to feel welcome. You will be seeding memories in their young minds that a pool hall can be a fun place to hang out. When they reach adulthood and start searching for ways to spend their recreation dollars the seeds you planted when they were kids may well begin to bear fruit.

There are some well known examples of this idea. Why is it do you suppose that when Apple/Macintosh was first getting off the ground they donated so many of their expensive computers to the schools? Could it have been because they new that the computers the kids learned on could easily be the ones they chose when it came time for them to buy one of their own?

Why do you suppose a gambler's Mecca like Las Vegas decided to change its image from that of 'adults only' to one of 'family friendly'? Could it be that they knew more gamblers would come to town if they didn't have to leave their kids behind? Is it also possible that the more visionary amongst the planners knew that a kid that had a good time in Vegas when he was little might be the same person who would return to gamble when he grew up?

If you run a pool hall - in the short term view kids may seem like they're little more than a pain in the neck but in the long term view those same kids may well represent a respectible part of your future business. If you want them to return as paying customers when they grow up - how you treat them now could make all the difference.

Snake

ppgr
10-08-2004, 09:29 PM
I was just agreeing with you on the break down of the age groups and how they act.Got my own place and luckily I have someone who works good with young people.

Popcorn
10-10-2004, 07:43 AM
Sounds like it may be time to make a move.

Chris Cass
10-10-2004, 11:11 PM
Hi Popcorn,

Let me say this. I'm probably the coolest counter man in the entire world. I on slow days will let many things pass but I do measure a customer buy what he or she spends. If you can't afford to buy atleast a coke you have no business being in any place of business.

In the bar or restaruant business that old trick of filling the booths in front of the windows to make the appearance of being busy to give the divebys a feeling of wanting to go in. Is long gone although I've seen many places that still use the same techneque. Makes me laugh.

Like the color schemes mentally making the customer hungry of want to gamble or rather make it a warm place to stay for hrs like the casinos do. A feeling of timelessness. lol

We at our place have a regular crowd and kids often come in at diiferent times and we have to let them know that they do have to meet atleast the minimum requirement of $1.25 to stay is no more than respect for the use of our bringing them the best kept equipment and clean fun friendly environment.

They come back but with the understanding in the right place. I too grew up in a pool hall and most require very little compared to other businesses. Like Denny' require a cup of joe and spend countless hrs with refills and do homework or play cards all night.

I'm far from mean and actually very cordial and friendly to everyone. I just won't let anyone take advantage of my bosses generocity in bringing them the best facility he can and ask very little. They might do this at Miller Time and that's probably the difference between the two places. That's why we're the best place to go. imho That's also why our equipment is top notch. If your a kid coming in? Your an adult going out.

I might have taken my job too seriously as leaving the expo I saw a kid sitting on the rails of a Diamond table at the expo. I don't know who owns the tables but I asked the young man if he wouldn't sit on the rails as They will break down. I told him he could lean against it though. LOL His Dad agreed. So you see, I'm just a pool player that wants the tables and the sport respected. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Popcorn
10-11-2004, 07:58 AM

"In the bar or restaurant business that old trick of filling the booths in front of the windows to make the appearance of being busy to give the divebys a feeling of wanting to go in. Is long gone although I've seen many places that still use the same techneque. Makes me laugh."

What evidence do you have to back up this statement?

When people stand in line to get into a place, it is not because there is nowhere else to go. It is because they want to be part of what is happening and go where the action is. Business perpetuates business, that's the way it is. Business's that have basically a useless product, (there is no real need being served) such as a pool room or bar, can't have enough customers. You may have some steadies but for the most part, customers come and go and a new face in the place has to always be cultivated and their future worth is a mystery. I am sure you feel a sense of loyalty to your boss, but I more so hope what you do regarding the customers is for the right reasons. You are in a small position of authority and I hope you are not just taking advantage of the opportunity to throw around your authority just for the sake of doing so. Authority can be intoxicating.

"I do measure a customer buy what he or she spends. If you can't afford to buy atleast a coke you have no business being in any place of business. "

I have to say, I am very surprised at your attitude regarding people who don't have much money in their pocket to spend. That may be one of the worst ways to judge a person.

"I just won't let anyone take advantage of my bosses generosity in bringing them the best facility he can and ask very little."

I understand where you are coming from but, the truth is, the customer justifies your existence, not the other way around. You need him, he does not in the least need you. This is often a sobering realization when someone in business goes under. It looks like we have a difference in opinion.

wantsumrice
10-12-2004, 09:24 AM
I'll reply in the eyes of a youth (17). Me and my buds go to a pool hall every weekend, but we aren't there to dick around, we shoot some (relatively /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif) serious pool. I can see why some adults wouldn't want teens shooting next to them, well, because as teens, we're loud and abnoxious (depends...). But, I really LOVE playing in an environment with adults, it makes me feel like I'm a part of something exclusive. Part of something, "only the big boys play". Also, it's always fun watching good players go at it /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

~ivan

Wally_in_Cincy
10-12-2004, 09:32 AM
We'll make an exception for you and your buds as long as you bring your girlfriends along /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

wantsumrice
10-12-2004, 09:33 AM
...Or lack thereof because of pool...LOL

Chris Cass
10-12-2004, 10:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> quote

"In the bar or restaurant business that old trick of filling the booths in front of the windows to make the appearance of being busy to give the divebys a feeling of wanting to go in. Is long gone although I've seen many places that still use the same techneque. Makes me laugh."

What evidence do you have to back up this statement?

(Classes in the casino on color, sounds lighting and mood. Including average persons investment money for their trip to the casino.) (I'll take Heide and Spike to a restaurant this weekend and take a pic and you tell me if it's proof enough.)

When people stand in line to get into a place, it is not because there is nowhere else to go. It is because they want to be part of what is happening and go where the action is. Business perpetuates business, that's the way it is. Business's that have basically a useless product, (there is no real need being served) such as a pool room or bar, can't have enough customers. You may have some steadies but for the most part, customers come and go and a new face in the place has to always be cultivated and their future worth is a mystery. I am sure you feel a sense of loyalty to your boss, but I more so hope what you do regarding the customers is for the right reasons.

You are in a small position of authority and I hope you are not just taking advantage of the opportunity to throw around your authority just for the sake of doing so. Authority can be intoxicating.

(I was a Sargeant in the Army for 4 yrs, a cop for 2 part time, managed a restaruant for a short time, Casino Dual rate supervisor, and a Daddy for 12 yrs. I know authority and I don't and never have abused it. It doesn't mean much to me accept your responsible for more than someone who isn't.)

"I do measure a customer buy what he or she spends. If you can't afford to buy atleast a coke you have no business being in any place of business. "

I have to say, I am very surprised at your attitude regarding people who don't have much money in their pocket to spend. That may be one of the worst ways to judge a person.

( Customer is the operative word here. In order to be a customer you must give something of value for a service. My attitude is normal I would think. I'm not the gastopo. I just expect you to spend something, even a lousey coke. I don't judge people byhow much money they have but more as what they do.

On a good note. I walked in the hall lastnight and 3 kids where sprawled out in the kitchen booths and one laying down with his shoes off. All didn't do anything or moved for 2 hrs. I wasn't working and I think they're glad. I would have booted them after two mins. How could you come into a business. Lay down in a booth and take your shoes off and watch tv? Geez, go home.)

"I just won't let anyone take advantage of my bosses generosity in bringing them the best facility he can and ask very little."

I understand where you are coming from but, the truth is, the customer justifies your existence, not the other way around. You need him, he does not in the least need you. This is often a sobering realization when someone in business goes under. It looks like we have a difference in opinion. <hr /></blockquote>

(Again, Customer being the operative word. I treat my customers like gold. Even if it's a coke buy. I don't owe my boss any extra but work the counter for what I get paid. I do owe this to his wife because she's spoiled and thinks my sons a cutie pie.) lol

Oh Popcorn, I'm not as tough as you might think about working the counter. I just look at the worse case senerio. We have a caddie that comes in and stays for 3 mths till his next tour stop. He comes every yr and is always broke.

He'll start off with selling everything he has. When he found out I had cancer and no insurance that yr. He knew I wasn't working and had my wife and son to pay for and he asks me for $6. to eat with. I told him no.

Later, I talked to a friut sales guy that sells friut daily and from his truck. I asked if he could help the guy out and take him out on the truck to make a days wages? He told me that he offered the guy a job for a few days doing that and thre caddiwe tells him. I just want you to take me on the road to hustle pool. Refused the job then, asks me to loan him money? To a guy that I don't know and doesn't have a job, or income?

Now, the last time he's in he's racking up charging food at the food counter. Just cause my boss told them ok for one meal? Telling kids not to sit on the tables and chasing them out the place. I had the food counter people asking me what they should do. I'm only a counter man and now, I have to take charge.

I tell the guy as he's the one now sitting on the table that he needs to get up and the guy starts bitching at me and that He's not a kid. Right in front of the kids he told the same thing to as they were leaving. These kids were spending money and him not.

I told him quick, where the door was and he tells me that he's not leaving. I'm not fit as I once was or I would have kicked him out physically just for GP. Anyway, the lump left soon afterwards but every yr for 3 mths were stuck with him. Not one dime and borrowing everything. Sleeping in his car or a motel just waiting to pounce on my customers for a few bucks.

My boss seems to think it's ok but I don't. Alls I can say is fire me.

Regards,

C.C.