PDA

View Full Version : Ball in Hand practice

05-15-2002, 09:37 PM
I tried 10 racks of the ball in hand practice today. It is a lot more practice then the q test. Any balls made on the break I just left down. I didn't subtract them from my score. After the break and each miss or scratch I take ball in hand again up to a total of 3 times. The first 2 racks I scored 15 each. My total score was 124. I spent a lot more time shooting & practicing then racking compared to the q test. The q test is more of a method to see how well you are doing and if you are improving. For someone as bad as I am it isn't much good as practice. This ball in hand is both practice and a way to see if I improve. I didn't keep track of how many times I took ball in hand each rack.

phil in sofla
05-16-2002, 07:12 PM
One of the dozens of books I have advocates that method of practicing-- take ball in hand on any miss, get a nice position on a ball with position to go to the next ball, and just run balls (no numerical order or game rules, all balls are fair game).

That author said such practice will give you many more repetitions of basic plays than several times the time spent practicing 9-ball or other games, and will be an accelerated way to get table time and pocketing experience that would otherwise take 10 times as long.

The Monk says something similar-- your job is to put down 20 racks a day, however you do it. And that simple accretion of experience will teach you many things.

People worry that this is too easy, but pool is all about getting easy shots and nice shape to go to the next easy shot, and that's what you're practicing here-- stroke speed and shape. Not to worry, your shape won't be perfect for quite a while and you will have your share of harder shots in such practice.

When I'm in a hurry to warm up, maybe even just 15 minutes of this puts me in fine stroke.

05-16-2002, 11:40 PM
Terry suggested I try this ball in hand practice. Thanks Terry. I played pool mostly in high school from about 65 to 70. I don't remember ever hearing about ball in hand then. Then I tried playing again for a few months in 81. I was terrible. I never came close to my high school play. I never really practiced during any of that time. But it wasn't uncommon for me to play 2 to 5 hours on school nights and 5 or more hours on weekends. Then in 81 I played mostly billiards with an older friend at the IL Billiard Club. And he was a drinker. So we would buy a couple six packs next door and play billiards for about 5 to 10 hours and drink beer.

And now I'm trying to play pool again. Practice was always very boring. I was just rolling the balls onto the table and then shooting them in. But this ball in hand provides lots of shooting practice. And it provides practice for the ball in hand strategy. It had often been taking me 5 or more misses to clear the table. But the first time I tried the ball in hand practice I cleared the table about 5 or 6 times out of ten. And my interest and concentration is a lot higher playing bih. So this should help me improve faster. And I am getting a lot of shooting practice with this method. And I definitely need that.

Rod
05-17-2002, 01:46 AM
And just think how much wear and tear your not putting your back through. Racking a lot isn't fun.

05-17-2002, 05:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Eddie G Chgo:</font><hr> Terry suggested I try this ball in hand practice. Thanks Terry. But this ball in hand provides lots of shooting practice. And it provides practice for the ball in hand strategy. It had often been taking me 5 or more misses to clear the table. But the first time I tried the ball in hand practice I cleared the table about 5 or 6 times out of ten. And my interest and concentration is a lot higher playing bih. So this should help me improve faster. And I am getting a lot of shooting practice with this method. And I definitely need that.

Hi Eddie, i'm glad your enjoying your new method of sinking balls. Eddie what I was trying to tell you before was to find out how many times you need ball BIH to score 130 points. If you need BIH 5 times to score the 130 points then start there. You might want to score the 130 points 3 times ( with BIH 5 times ) before you start playing with BIH 4 times etc. But set yourself a GOAL with this excercise, do you want to score 130 points with BIH once? if you do then make that your GOAL and WORK towards that GOAL. Good Luck with whatever goals you set. Terry

05-17-2002, 12:19 PM
So far I've only practiced ball in hand once. On the first two racks I forgot I could take ball in hand after the break shot. I made the 15 balls both racks taking ball in hand twice each rack. I was thinking the third miss ended the rack. And I played and ended any racks after the 3rd miss. The third rack I remembered and took ball in hand after the break. And I only made 8 balls that rack when I missed the third time. So I guess for now my 3rd miss is a good spot to end the rack. I hope you meant 2 or 3 misses per rack and not per 10 racks. I'm not even close to where I can score 130 with only a few misses per 10 racks.