PDA

View Full Version : Another Wasted Night! BCA League

Deeman2
10-07-2004, 09:35 AM
Tori and I showed up for our new BCA eight ball league night last night. Was to start at 8:00p.m. so we are there at 7:00p.m. sharp. Pay twenty bucks each for membership, ten each for the match fee. I'm out another fifteen for beer and cokes and, the other team doesn't even show up! My team captain says he's happy 'cause we got a forfeit and that his 9 ball team has now gotten four forfeits in a row! Another teammate says, "Nobody ever shows up in BCA around here, that's why we have never been able to start a league and keep it going."

Great! I just spend $75 and another 3 or 4 into the bar box as they don't open up the tables here and I have a night of sitting on my hands and collecting valuable points. At least in Alabama and APA we got to shoot cheap once a week!

Oh, well, I'll just go back to playing tournaments. I know one night does not a season make but from the attitudes I saw, we can expect much more of the same...

Billy_Bob
10-07-2004, 10:36 AM
Some team captains are not good at "communicating". They may know when league starts, where, etc. But they don't tell anyone else on their team!

I had a team captain who received news letters about the BCA sale thing, but never showed these things to anyone else. And he wouldn't think to tell anyone else on the team where we would be playing the next week. (And no one else on the team thought to ask - except for me.)

I take matters into my own hands in situations like this. I find out the facts and let everyone know what is going on, when league starts, give everyone the phone number of the person running the league, tell them where we will be playing the next week, etc. (I am not the team captain.)

I have also informed other teams that league would be starting on a certain date, and they say Oh? Then I give them the phone number of the person running the league and say they should call to find out where they will be playing and to let everyone on their team know.

It's just basic communications. Some people assume someone else will take care of everything. Well they will not.

I would get the phone numbers of everyone you will be playing next week and call to be sure they know when and where.

Pelican
10-07-2004, 10:37 AM
Ten bucks is really stout in my opinion. Bummer!

Oh yea, feed the damn dog.

Later Pel /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman2
10-07-2004, 10:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pelican:</font><hr> Ten bucks is really stout in my opinion. Bummer!

Later Pel /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Pelican and Billy Bob:

Thanks for the advice. I am new here and would not know who is on the other teams we play but I will suggest our Captain do this.

Pelican, I thought $10 was pretty stiff as well seeing that they don't even cover green fees. I paid $6 in Alabama and they had a free pool practice night once a week plus they opened the tables up on league night. Of course, that may be part of why the league has never had success here! I don't even like bar table pool so I may just let my wife play and I can watch. I wish we could get into a league with no Vegas connections so we could just play and not have the handicap politics as well.

damn dog has not been fed in years..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Spiderman ate everything...

Deeman
needs to stay out leagues with three initials (bca, apa, nra, kkk, dnc)

SPetty
10-07-2004, 11:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pelican:</font><hr> Ten bucks is really stout in my opinion. <hr /></blockquote>I pay $15 a night to play five games. Now that's a Bummer!

landshark77
10-07-2004, 11:44 AM
Is there any way you can get an in-house league started?
I've never had problems with in-house leagues, as far as teams showing up.

Sid_Vicious
10-07-2004, 11:48 AM
I have done the same league you mention at $15/5 games, but darn long ago. There are simly IMO other choices in this area to play league for ten a night, and either a race to two in 8-ball or best of 3 in nineball. Top this off, there's also choice as to whether you play in-house or a traveling league. I suppose there are some fine players I'll never get to play in the $15 a night league, but I can match up with stiff competition in cash game with a few if I desire, or in nightly tournaments. I couldn't go back to fifteen for 5 games...sid

Deeman2
10-07-2004, 11:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I pay $15 a night to play five games. Now that's a Bummer! <hr /></blockquote>

Wow! That's $3 a game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Even the best upscales places don't get that for a game! I guess I'll shut up or move back to one of the more reasonably priced states.

Deeman
doesn't want to buy the table, just shoot on it...

nineball33
10-07-2004, 12:07 PM
Dee you an Tori come to play with me in Jacksonville some night ill cover the green fee you bring the beer /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Deeman2
10-07-2004, 12:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nineball33:</font><hr> Dee you an Tori come to play with me in Jacksonville some night ill cover the green fee you bring the beer /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Nineball:

You Da Man!!!

woody_968
10-07-2004, 12:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pelican:</font><hr> Ten bucks is really stout in my opinion. <hr /></blockquote>I pay $15 a night to play five games. Now that's a Bummer! <hr /></blockquote>

Wow, I pay $4 a week for 4 games, plus $1.50 for the table.

Do the leagues your talking about pay cash back?

Sorry to hear about your experience Dee. I think the response by your captain is even worse than the other team not showing up.

SpiderMan
10-07-2004, 12:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Pelican:</font><hr> Ten bucks is really stout in my opinion. Bummer!

Later Pel /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Pelican and Billy Bob:

Thanks for the advice. I am new here and would not know who is on the other teams we play but I will suggest our Captain do this.

Pelican, I thought $10 was pretty stiff as well seeing that they don't even cover green fees. I paid $6 in Alabama and they had a free pool practice night once a week plus they opened the tables up on league night. Of course, that may be part of why the league has never had success here! I don't even like bar table pool so I may just let my wife play and I can watch. I wish we could get into a league with no Vegas connections so we could just play and not have the handicap politics as well.

damn dog has not been fed in years..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Spiderman ate everything...

Deeman
needs to stay out leagues with three initials (bca, apa, nra, kkk, dnc) <hr /></blockquote>

Dee,

The fees you mention are normal around Dallas, but it's generally a league with drop-pocket tables so no additional fees.

I currently play in an in-house league in Dallas where we each pay $10 a week. It's a cash-payback league, so you get a lot of that back at the end of the season (even the last-place team gets money back). My net cost is probably only about $4 a week for the league.

Plus we get free practice time all week long, open 'til close, with the exception of Friday and Saturday nights after 8 pm. If not for this $10-a-week league participation, I'd be spending $50 a week on table time.

Any other Dallas-area folks who want in on that deal, drop me a PM! We're always adding new teams.

SpiderMan (sorry I didn't leave scraps for the dog)

Deeman2
10-07-2004, 01:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>

Dee,

The fees you mention are normal around Dallas, but it's generally a league with drop-pocket tables so no additional fees.

I currently play in an in-house league in Dallas where we each pay $10 a week. It's a cash-payback league, so you get a lot of that back at the end of the season (even the last-place team gets money back). My net cost is probably only about $4 a week for the league.

Plus we get free practice time all week long, open 'til close, with the exception of Friday and Saturday nights after 8 pm. If not for this $10-a-week league participation, I'd be spending $50 a week on table time.

Any other Dallas-area folks who want in on that deal, drop me a PM! We're always adding new teams.

SpiderMan (sorry I didn't leave scraps for the dog) <hr /></blockquote>

Spiderman,

Any jobs for mechanical engineers in dallas? /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Deeman
likes Spiderman's deal

Sid_Vicious
10-07-2004, 02:30 PM
On the subject of league perks of free practice time, I've used that mentality for years but recently found that laying out of league is about a wash unless you are restricted to having to play at night time. Since I've been out of leagues for a while now, and probably this fall too, I find that I can easily play at flat rates at some places from 11 until 7PM for a total of 3 bucks, free even at other places on certain days(even nights), and I can ELECT whether I want to go or not. I'll tell ya, leagues have taken more of a back seat with me, and it is appealing to hit the nightly tournaments instead of having to show up in areas of Dallas for league which take me further away from my home in the north. With a little investigative work you can trim weekly, hourly rates for pool here in Dallas down to numbers close to, or cheaper than a nightly league fee of 10 bucks. I like the freedom, can't beat 8 hours of pool for $3. I'm not really a night owl so evening pool desires, if I had them, would change some of my current attitudes. Still I believe I could sort out "deals" for pool even so, even if it meant buying into a 5-10 dollar tournament somewhere...sid~~~sure has a crap load of shirts for many past leagues though

Stretch
10-07-2004, 02:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I pay $15 a night to play five games. Now that's a Bummer! <hr /></blockquote>

Wow! That's $3 a game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Even the best upscales places don't get that for a game! I guess I'll shut up or move back to one of the more reasonably priced states.

Deeman
doesn't want to buy the table, just shoot on it... <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Dee. Our Halifax league is WILDLY successfull. Man it's a licence to print money almost. It only cost 6 bucks for 4 games, and the clubs and pubs are all good about providing their teams with ample table time. In our case league night is Monday. Play starts at 7:30 but the tables for the league open up an hour early. Plus our team practice is Sunday night, free. And it's customery (i know it is with my club anyway) that all beer sold to the players for league night is at happy hour prices.

The teams are big too. Lot's of people, lots of excitement. Each team has 16 players or more but 16 is minimum. Eight guys comprise the road team and travel to your opponents turf, and eight guys make up the home team to entertain thier roadies. There's 30 teams! There's none of this point a ball crap either. It's all about the win. Each home and away team has 4 one point players, and 4 two point players. The one pointers play each other for the point on a win, and the 2 pointers (your best players) play each other for 2 points on the win. Four rounds, total points of the home and away teams win. The nice part about this settup is you only need 2 tables. And it can get pretty exciting when there are 16 players around 2 tables. I love it /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Results get put in the news paper on the local sports page every Wed. with honorable mention to anyone going 4 for4.

So that's how things are up here. But there are also tons of "in house leagues" on tifferent nights, as well as BCA (it's called something else now up here since they sold out). What can i tell ya, it's a long Winter, we gotta do something! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St

SpiderMan
10-07-2004, 02:50 PM
That is another valid option. If you have trouble committing to one night a week for league, then by careful shopping you can still easily reduce your table-time bill.

For daytime guys, I know of at least one poolroom that offers free table time from 7-11 am. A bar near where I work opens it's coin tables all day/nite on Saturdays and Mondays, and after about 7 pm on Sundays. Plus there's a Sunday-afternoon tournament, $5 entry with added money, and free dinner for everyone involved. Usually pretty good food, they grill in the alley out back. Last weekend it was "build your own fajitas". Down the road is another bar with free pool on Thursdays, also with free buffet at happy hour (usually something that makes you thirsty, like chili/onions/cheese and chips, but last time Sid and I were in there it was fried chicken and potato salad). Add to that the room Sid likes with flat-rate on Saturdays and Sundays, and you can shoot a lot of pool for not much dough. Oh, and the city is full of sports bars with free pool at lunch (you gotta buy the food, though).

SpiderMan

Pelican
10-07-2004, 07:49 PM
Com'on back to 'bama. Here in L.A. (Lower Alabama) we pay 5 bucks for APA but do have to pay the table. Locally we have leagues - Men's, Ladies', and Mixed. Last time I shot men's (3 years ago) it was 2 bucks and they opened the tables. There were enough teams in the various bars in the league for a 5 month season. Lot of fun but I have settled on APA since it is year around and I really only want to soot one league. Wish we had T.A.P. here as I prefer some of their rules to APA.

Come on back home Deeman and join us for some cheap pool /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later, Pel

dg-in-centralpa
10-08-2004, 05:32 AM
D2 - you should come back to Central PA. We have two leagues. Tuesday everyone pays $10 at the beginning of the season, to avoid a fund raiser, pay $1 per game - max of 3, the club or bar puts up the quarters and everyone shooting gets a free drink and/or sometimes food. A table run or 8 on the snap pays $10 immediately. Thursday is a handicap league, $10 at the beginning, $5 each week to shoot plus you pay your own games, and the host team again pays for a free drink. A table run is $20 and 8 on the snap is $10 paid immediately. Both leagues pay out money at the end of the season.

DG

Deeman2
10-08-2004, 06:17 AM
Thanks for everyone's input. DG and Pel, I would like to move back to York but the Amish have a contract out on me and they already have a pretty good place kicker at Auburn so I'll have to stick it out in Texas until jobs become more plentiful somewhere else. I think I would love Halifax but my wife won't let me take back north of the Mason Dixon line!

I may just ask to be a sub on the BCA and let Tori play. I can stick with my mainstay, tournaments, like my buddy Sid suggests. At least I take money home from them.

The in-house league sounds like the ticket but someone would have to start it and I am much better at complaining than starting up a league. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Deeman

Bob_Jewett
10-08-2004, 10:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I pay $15 a night to play five games. Now that's a Bummer! <hr /></blockquote>
I pay $10 a night to play for about 2 hours and about half of that goes into the cash prizes for the end-of-the-year play-off. For the original post, I'd tell my team captain that I'll pay the match fee when I have a match.

Deeman2
10-08-2004, 12:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> For the original post, I'd tell my team captain that I'll pay the match fee when I have a match. <hr /></blockquote>

Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I din't know that was an option but will tell him that if it happens again. I don't want to sound like a cheapskate here, although I certainly am. I just want to play and let my wife have a little fun without making a major investment into something that seems to be already falling apart.

Deeman