PDA

View Full Version : who would you pick to spend the day with !!!!!!!!!

Ives
10-07-2004, 10:50 AM
Hey all, new to this forum though ive been visiting for awhile. I posted this on another forum, thought i'd try it here.

If you could spend the day with any pool legend, living or dead, who would you pick and why.

Myself, I'd love to have spent some time with Mosconi, I bet he could tell some great pool stories, not to mention what I could of learned from just watching him play.

Popcorn
10-07-2004, 11:02 AM
U.J. Puckett

Deeman2
10-07-2004, 11:03 AM
Welcome to CCB Ives. I think I would select Danny McGoorty as he must have had a million more stories to tell. Living, maybe Danny Deliberto or Ronnie Allen.

Deeman

trailboss
10-07-2004, 12:02 PM
Reyes, Bustimonte, U.J. Puckett, Whimpy, and Fast Eddie! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

woody_968
10-07-2004, 12:14 PM
I think I would have to go with Varner. I have never met him but he seams like a very approachable person that would be fun to spend time with. He has always been at the top of my list. I have heard some stories about him that would be great to hear first hand.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-07-2004, 12:26 PM
Myself,
I would like to spend the day with myself, when I was in my mid 20s. From what I have learned over the past 3 decades about pool, I would either become a better player or take up bowling.

If I had to pick someone from the pool world of professionals, it would have to be Ralph Greenleaf... I have always wanted to see him play 14.1

dvsmnstr
10-07-2004, 01:05 PM
I would have to say I would spend a day (and night) with Jennifer Barretta /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Deeman2
10-07-2004, 01:27 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dvsmnstr:</font><hr> I would have to say I would spend a day (and night) with Jennifer Barretta /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

We all can only wish!!! Wally would talk to her about pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Ives
10-07-2004, 01:42 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Myself,
I would like to spend the day with myself, when I was in my mid 20s. From what I have learned over the past 3 decades about pool, I would either become a better player or take up bowling.

<hr /></blockquote>
LMAO

I think we'd all like to go back and visit ourselves in our youth, I'd have to tell myself to stay the hell away from a girl named joy when i get to college, hopefully i'd listen. !!!!!

Cane
10-07-2004, 02:38 PM
Among the living, Jim Rempe. King James is one of the modern players whose style and attitude I always admired.

Among those that have left this world, Ralph Greenleaf. Mr. Greenleaf was, IMHO, one of, if not the greatest 14.1 player that ever picked up a cue. I will, very soon, get the next best thing... an oppurtunity to spend two days with one of his friends.

Later,
Bob

PQQLK9
10-07-2004, 02:57 PM
dead = Fats , because of his wit.

living = Allison , sence of humor and overall knowledge and skill.

cueball1950
10-07-2004, 06:37 PM
Dead......Hoppe
Wimpy...actually met him and watched him play some then drove him crazy with questions.
Alive....Tommy Kennedy...gentleman, and love his game
Earl....what war stories he has
Keith Mc Cready...you know he has got some war stories..................................mike

Rod
10-07-2004, 07:37 PM
I have spent time with, but a whole day with Jimmy Moore is my choice. We have or maybe I should say had similar playing styles. The stories is just a bonus. I like Popcorn's choice as well and Wimpy.

Rod

Malice
10-07-2004, 08:11 PM
Dan McGoorty

stickman
10-07-2004, 09:20 PM
I don't know if I'd feel comfortable with "Legends". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I might depending on who they were. I'd be happy to spend a day with folks like Chris Cass, Rod, Scott Lee, Fran Crimi (I sure miss her posts), Blackheart, and many, many, others too numerous to list. (apologizes to those I missed) I've gotten to somewhat know these people and know I'd enjoy a day with them.

Jim

Leviathan
10-08-2004, 03:14 AM
I've never read anything that would make me want to hang out with any of the pool greats. A big-name player to spend a day with? Maybe Gerda Hofstatter--she seems pleasant, intelligent, well-rounded. I think I could learn a lot about pool tactics in a day with Grady Matthews, Allen Hopkins, or C.J. Wiley.

AS

Wally_in_Cincy
10-08-2004, 06:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dvsmnstr:</font><hr> I would have to say I would spend a day (and night) with Jennifer Barretta /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif <hr /></blockquote>

We all can only wish!!! Wally would talk to her about pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

Sadly.... you may be correct /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally &lt;~~ in his best Wayne and Garth voice : "I'm not worthy! I'm not worthy" /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
10-08-2004, 06:04 AM
Ralph Greenleaf as long as I don't have to pay the bar tab.

Barbara
10-08-2004, 07:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ives:</font><hr> If you could spend the day with any pool legend, living or dead, who would you pick and why.

<hr /></blockquote>

Someone no longer with us: Jimmy Caras, hands down.

People still here: ####, Stretch, and Fran Crimi.

Barbara

#### leonard
10-08-2004, 07:43 AM
Barb, I am sorry now that I didn't invite you to the day I spent in the Galaway woods with Stretch and Fran. My Dr. friend opened his poolroom for our day. Of course no one enjoyed their self more than he did.

That must be at least 4 years ago. ####

#### leonard
10-08-2004, 07:58 AM
Tom this will fill all the Ralph Greenleaf posts. I played pool with Matt Ratigan when I was starting to develop.

Well Matt ran a poolroom in the 1927 to 1930 in TRoy and Ralphs wife at that time was from Maplewwod Ny just across the river from Troy and Ralph would play in his room while visiting the in-laws.

He said Ralph thought he was never suppose to miss and that was on a 5x10 table. He also said rarely did he miss.

He booked him for an exhibition in the fall and he came to play under the influence of alcohol. If they had breathilizers he would have blown a 2.5. He had to hold on to the table to steady him self. He ran 125 and out, put on trick shots and was gone within an hour.

The statistic I find amazing was that he ran over 1000, 125 and out during his career.####

Stretch
10-08-2004, 08:02 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> Barb, I am sorry now that I didn't invite you to the day I spent in the Galaway woods with Stretch and Fran. My Dr. friend opened his poolroom for our day. Of course no one enjoyed their self more than he did.

That must be at least 4 years ago. #### <hr /></blockquote>

Yep! 4 years ago, but to me it was just like yesterday ####. That was very special for me. That day was priceless. St.

Barbara
10-08-2004, 09:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> Barb, I am sorry now that I didn't invite you to the day I spent in the Galaway woods with Stretch and Fran. My Dr. friend opened his poolroom for our day. Of course no one enjoyed their self more than he did.

That must be at least 4 years ago. #### <hr /></blockquote>

Oh yeah, ####, my husband has absolutely no problem with me taking off to hook up with two guys I've been chatting with on the Internet! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Uh-HUH!

Barbara

Voodoo Daddy
10-08-2004, 09:25 AM
Dead...Joe Balsis
From the Board...#### Leonard without a second thought
Abroad...Maybe Keith. I have had the luxury of spending time with many champions including DiLiberto, Mizerak, Varner, Ervolino, Ambrose, Kennedy &lt;we grew up in the same bars, HAHAHA&gt;and KATO!!!

Voodoo~~~was a kid in the billiard candy store for mych of my life

rukiddingme
10-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Jimmy Moore would be my choice as well...I would want him to teach me that slip stroke of his...poetry in motion
Sarah Rousey...I'd like her to teach me her break shot...tons of dynamite in a small package... not to mention the fact that she is a fun person to be around /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Fast Larry... to answer that formidable question "is he just a misunderstood guy or ???? "
ruk

DeannaMichelle
10-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Without a doubt, Allison Fisher would be my first choice, since she was the reason I became interested in learning about billiards and cue sports mostly.

Of course, I'd definately like to meet Sarah and Melissa from here. Maybe corrupt their minds a little with my sarcasm (: Oh wait, already did that without meeting them. Darnget!

Dea

Misel
10-08-2004, 01:02 PM
It would be without a doubt Willie Mosconi or Mike Sigel.

Misel

#### leonard
10-08-2004, 01:16 PM
Barb he must know by now that poolplayers only have pool on their minds.

I have always said that given the choice of running 200 balls + or making love to the most beautiful women in the World, I would taking running the 200+ balls. It is a much greater high.

God its 10 years or so since I did that and I can still get the feeling. ####

Chopstick
10-08-2004, 01:21 PM
Players that I have hung out with:

Grady Matthews
Buddy Hall
Mike Seigel
Nick Varner
Louie Roberts
Steve Cook
Jerry Brock (you guys probably never heard of him. Years ago he had a difference of opinion with the FBI.)

Players I wished I could hang out with:

Luther Lassiter
Eddie Taylor
Irving Crane

My favorite player to hang out with:

Your Friendly Neighborhood Spiderman.

#### leonard
10-08-2004, 01:24 PM
Voodoo Daddy, When did Joe Balsis die, I missed that completely. Alive or Dead he was my favorite PoolPlayer/person.

I only played him once and spent time with him when he and Irv Crane played two days around 1970 at the Albany Golden Cue. I also played in three tourneys with Joe, he was always pleasure to spend time with. ####

Bob_Jewett
10-08-2004, 02:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr>... When did Joe Balsis die, I missed that completely. Alive or Dead he was my favorite PoolPlayer/person. <hr /></blockquote>
A quick search of Usenet in Google says he died on January 2, 1995 of emphysema at the age of 73. The BCA also lists this year on their Hall of Fame page, but they do not note that Crane has died (November 2001).

#### leonard
10-08-2004, 04:44 PM
Thanks Bob I will have to remember that web site. Joe always smoked with a cigarette holder it looked good but it didn't filter the poison.####

Wally_in_Cincy
10-09-2004, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> Thanks Bob I will have to remember that web site. Joe always smoked with a cigarette holder it looked good but it didn't filter the poison.#### <hr /></blockquote>

####, if you have ever seen the 1966(?) video where Irving Crane ran 150 and out on Balsis, they would show Joe in the chair. Whenever Crane ran another rack, Joe would shake his head and light another smoke /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JimS
10-09-2004, 08:10 AM
Amen to that ####. I've never run 50 but when I reach a personal best that's better than a night with whoever. As you said, it's a greater high and a personal best elicits a deep satisfaction, followed by a greater reason to work hard on my game.

I got to spend a lot of time yesterday with Grady and Nick Varner and what a great time that was.

As was said earlier in this thread by someone I can't remember who, Nick Varner has been a real treat to be around on the two occasions I have had that pleasure. He's my pool hero....a real gentelmen.

#### leonard
10-10-2004, 06:21 AM
Wally, yes I have seen the video of the runout. Joe got even when he played Irv at the Albany Golden Cue in 1969.

They played two days afternoon and evening to 150 points.
Joe beat him 600 to less than 200 points. Irvs behavior took a turn for the worse and Joe told if he didn't straighten up he take him outside. Irv was a perfect gentleman after that.####