PDA

View Full Version : I need your old lottery tix/scratch offs/OTB stubs

Barbara
10-07-2004, 05:35 PM
Okay, the NJ lottery was bery, bery good to me this year. Courtesy of my late, great Kitty Kat's BD, I hit the Pick-4 twice - straight and boxed. It's basically my only gambling vice 'cause it gives me something to look forward to when I get to work, if only to clean out my desk and say "sayonara". /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Now, the federal law says that if I can produce losses to cover my winnings, I don't have to pay tax on my winnings. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've been trying like heck to grab all the discarded stubs and scratch-offs I can, but I need to cover a few thousand and I'm not making it unless I go major dumpster-diving for the rest of the year. And quite frankly, sticking my hands into trash cans to pick out stubs and scratch-offs is not all what it's cracked up to be. I rate it second to re-filling the bird-crap encrusted bird feeder in my back yard, but I like the birdies, and they amuse my house-bound kitties.

So here's my prop - for anyone that sends me at least $200, in lottery stubs/scratch-offs. OTB stubs, I will send you a Super-sized bag full of my Nuts!! I can also work out more bags for bigger multiples of $200!! Pm me with your info!!

For those of you who are uninitiated in the sizes of nuts I make up, look at a gallon freezer bag and vision it chock full of Nuts!! For those of you out there I have given quart size bags at the Expo, that would be two bags to make up a whole two pounds (raw) that I do. There ya go.

I'm not being lazy about this, I just need more help in the collection.

Thanks for your consideration, and I hope I'm not out of line on the NPR board, BUT I NEED HELP!!

Barbara~~~and willing to bribe like hell for it, too!!!

Rod
10-07-2004, 06:18 PM
Barbara do those tickets need to be dated before winning dates? How do they work that, do you know?

~~~ rod, no NJ lottery tickets

Troy
10-07-2004, 06:51 PM
If CA lottery tickets will help, let me know. I don't have many (about $50), but they're yours if they will help.

Troy

Barbara
10-07-2004, 07:23 PM
Rod,

I need uncashed tickets dated between Jan 1, 2004 - Dec 31, 2004. That's all. Any kind of legal betting slips is what I ask for.

Another poster said that I shouldn't be posting this in public, but according to lawyers and other peoples that I've known that have gone through the same thing, it's totally legal to offset you're winnings this way. It's not like I'm laundering money - that would take at least $10,000 in cash, and I'm not close to that!

Please, I want to just be honest but get out of paying some "found" taxes, that's all folks! (cross my fingers, so far this year)

Barbara~~~beep beep!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
10-07-2004, 07:50 PM
I sure don't see anything wrong with it , Barbara. I was just curious. Hell I hope I hit any good size pot and I'll pay the taxes! LOL

~~~ rod, plays little lottery

Barbara
10-07-2004, 08:06 PM
Rod,

I'll share my tix with you anytime!! Not a problem!!

I hope you win big, too!!!

XOXO,

Barbara

Ross
10-07-2004, 09:34 PM
Barbara, I hit two slot machines in Vegas in July - once for $2000 and once for $3200. Lucky year for me as well. Anyway they brought out the W-4 (or whatever they are) tax forms when they paid me. I asked them how I should document the money I lost before I hit the machines (since there were no receipts for my losses). They said that I could just list losses up to the amount of my winnings, without proof and it would be accepted. I don't know if they were correct but since they do this every day I assume they are. It may be different for lottery tickets though - I don't know.

dg-in-centralpa
10-08-2004, 05:06 AM
Congratulations Barbara! On October 30, it might be in your best interest to go to Philadelphia Park race track or any OTB. That is the day for the Breeders Cup. The last major horse race for the year. You will be able to pick up many stubs, probably enough to cover your winnings. Each race that day will be heavily wagered.

DG - good luck

highsea
10-08-2004, 05:11 AM
<in my best John Lennon voice>

Let me tell you how it will be,
Thereís one for you, nineteen for me,
ĎCos Iím the Taxman,
Yeah, Iím the Taxman.
Should five per cent appear too small,
Be thankful I donít take it all,
ĎCos Iím the Taxman,
Yeah, Iím the Taxman.
If you drive a car, Iíll tax the street,
If you try to sit, Iíll tax your seat,
If you get too cold, Iíll tax the heat,
If you take a walk, Iíll tax your feet.
Taxman.
ĎCos Iím the Taxman,
Yeah, Iím the Taxman.
Donít ask me what I want it for
(Taxman Mister Wilson)
If you donít want to pay some more
(Taxman Mister Heath),
ĎCos Iím the Taxman,
Yeah, Iím the Taxman.
Now my advice for those who die,
Declare the pennies on your eyes,
ĎCos Iím the Taxman,
Yeah, Iím the Taxman.
And youíre working for no-one but me,
Taxman.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-08-2004, 05:33 AM
Do you know anybody who works in a convenience store? There should be tons of scratch-offs there.

Barbara
10-08-2004, 06:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> They said that I could just list losses up to the amount of my winnings, without proof and it would be accepted. I don't know if they were correct but since they do this every day I assume they are. It may be different for lottery tickets though - I don't know. <hr /></blockquote>

Ross,

I remember you telling me that you hit big! But how can you "just list" your losses at slot machines? Sounds kinda fishy to me.

Barbara

Barbara
10-08-2004, 06:55 AM
I just might have to do that Duane. We don't have any OTB in NJ and Garden State Park closed down so Philly Park is the closest to me. Thanks!

Barbara

Barbara
10-08-2004, 06:57 AM
Now I'm going to have those guitar riffs playing over and over in my head allllllll day... Thanks a lot!!

Barbara

Wally_in_Cincy
10-08-2004, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ross:</font><hr> Barbara, I hit two slot machines in Vegas in July - once for $2000 and once for $3200. Lucky year for me as well. Anyway they brought out the W-4 (or whatever they are) tax forms when they paid me. I asked them how I should document the money I lost before I hit the machines (since there were no receipts for my losses). They said that I could just list losses up to the amount of my winnings, without proof and it would be accepted. I don't know if they were correct but since they do this every day I assume they are. It may be different for lottery tickets though - I don't know. <hr /></blockquote>

Hey Ross. Does this qualify as a tax cut for the rich?

I thought you liberals loved paying taxes. This is not going to help the deficit one little bit.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara
10-08-2004, 06:59 AM
No Wally, I don't know anyone who works in a convenience store. But there is one on my way home that sells Lottery tix and I should just stop in there and go garbage can picking. Yuck!

Barbara

Wally_in_Cincy
10-08-2004, 07:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> No Wally, I don't know anyone who works in a convenience store. But there is one on my way home that sells Lottery tix and I should just stop in there and go garbage can picking. Yuck!

Barbara

<hr /></blockquote>

Just go in there a couple of times and get to know them. Maybe they'll save them for you.

9 Ball Girl
10-08-2004, 07:58 AM
There may also be some scratchoffs/loser lottery tickets in poolrooms that have lottery machines and/or scratchoffs.

Eric.
10-08-2004, 08:50 AM
Hey Barberella,

PM me where to mail the tics. Luckily, my daughter saves her tics, I buy her 1 almost every week.

Someone else mentined getting betting slips from the horse track-that is your best bet. I would suggest going to Monmouth Park(if they're still open) in Freehold or go to Atlantic City and collect Keno slips. Besides, you might get lucky while your there!

Eric

Ross
10-08-2004, 09:41 AM
Barbara, here is a site that discusses this:
http://www.bankrate.com/brm/itax/tips/20030127a1.asp

What they say is:

"One itemized deduction that could help you at tax time is found on line 27, Other Miscellaneous Deductions, of Schedule A. That's where you report any gambling losses. You can claim up to the total amount of winnings you entered on your 1040, effectively wiping out any taxable gambling income.
When you do claim your gambling losses on your tax return, it's a good idea to keep a record of them. While you don't have to send your loss data in with your return, documentation could come in handy if the IRS ever questions the claim.

Acceptable gambling loss record keeping could include a written log detailing the date of your wagers, the location, amount bet, type of gaming and wins and losses. You should also hang on to losing lottery tickets or bingo cards."

So you won't need loss documentation unless you are audited. The likelihood of that is probably less than 1% unless you have some "offshore tax dodges" or something else that is fishy. For Vegas slot winners like me there are no stubs or tickets for losses, so I guess I just have to write down a log saying I lost X dollars on this day, Y dollars on that day, ... Maybe you could say you gamble on pool and then "document" those losses. Let them try to disprove that! lol!

Ross ~ of course I am not recommending such actions /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Barbara
10-08-2004, 09:51 AM
Hey Ross thanks for the info!! I'm going to be prepared as if I'm going to be audited (which I never have, but there's always a first).

My best bet would be going to the race track on Breeder's Cup day.

Barbara