PDA

View Full Version : Neat little shot.

Chopstick
10-08-2004, 01:04 PM
Years ago when the rules for nine ball were different there used to be a situation where you could wind up with two balls on the spot and you would have ball in hand. Grady Matthews invented a shot to make the second ball. It never happens now days though.

I was messing around with this shot the other day because it's fun to shoot and it occurred to me that it could be used in other places. The legality of the shot is questionable but I believe that if it is executed correctly it is legal.

Two balls are frozen on the spot. Place the cue ball close to but not touching the ball on the spot. Maybe a 16th of a inch between them. Aim your cue through the cue ball at the first diamond. The stroke is just a nip or tap, no follow through or it would be a foul. The second ball goes straight in the corner.

START(
%AN7O5%JM4O6%PN8Q0%RH6J6%SO8S9%UI1B6%VR7Z2%WD0D4%X M1O5

)END

Bob_Jewett
10-08-2004, 01:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chopstick:</font><hr>... Two balls are frozen on the spot. Place the cue ball close to but not touching the ball on the spot. Maybe a 16th of a inch between them. Aim your cue through the cue ball at the first diamond. The stroke is just a nip or tap, no follow through or it would be a foul. The second ball goes straight in the corner.<hr /></blockquote>
I'd have to see the shot in person, but I suspect it is a foul. If you cannot make the shot from an inch back, but do make it from a millimeter away, it's very, very likely that you either hit the cue ball twice or the tip is still on the cue ball when the cue ball hits the object ball. In either case the shot is foul.

yegon
10-08-2004, 02:13 PM
I did see someone do this on bcn tv in a game, I do not exactly know which ball was made but the cue ball was in hand behing the headstring. The comentator mentioned that it is a one pocket move. Does anyone know how it goes?

woody_968
10-08-2004, 03:00 PM
yegon, the one you are talking about is probably this one.

START(
%AN7O5%CM4O5%Ph0J4%WD4P4%XL8O4%Yr5T1%ZC4P5%]E0[2%^s3T4%eC1b0

)END

You shoot with low right and the 3 ball can go 2 rails into the pocket indicated. Sometimes the one will even "push through" the 3 and come close to, if not go into the same corner pocket.

You switch the english and cueball position to the othe side if you want to try for the other corner.

Woody

Chopstick
10-08-2004, 03:34 PM
I know what you mean. I thought so too. It seems only to work from frozen out to about a quarter inch. You can jack up on the cue ball and draw it straight back off the cluster so it doesn't look of feel like a double hit. I am going to mount my video camera over it and see if I can see how it works.

You can alter the path of the second ball by changing the aiming point through the cue ball. I was thinking it might be applied to frozen clusters at other parts of the table.

yegon
10-08-2004, 03:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote woody_968:</font><hr>Sometimes the one will even "push through" the 3 and come close to, if not go into the same corner pocket.<hr /></blockquote>

yes that was the shot I saw, the one went directly into the pocket, if I remember right it was done by corey deuel in one of the derby city ring games after the oponent made the 10 ball but scratched. I am not sure I'll have to look into it, but I am sure it was a beautifull shot.

Bob_Jewett
10-08-2004, 03:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote yegon:</font><hr> I did see someone do this on bcn tv in a game, I do not exactly know which ball was made but the cue ball was in hand behing the headstring. The comentator mentioned that it is a one pocket move. Does anyone know how it goes? <hr /></blockquote>
To make the head ball with two balls spotted is a totally standard one pocket shot that I think we've discussed here recently. At any rate, there is a system for making the front ball move in the desired direction when two balls are frozen together. Look in RSB for "ten times fuller". (Use that exact phrase at http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search )

Popcorn
10-08-2004, 04:17 PM
You can make that back ball straight in without even moving the front ball with no problem. It's an old shot. All you do is place the cueball about 8 or 10 inches from the balls and jack up on the cue ball. Shoot it like a jump shot, the cue ball raises up just a little and makes the back ball. It's easy, like a 9 out of 10 shot.

woody_968
10-08-2004, 05:35 PM
Popcorn, that is a shot I had totally forgotten about!

Its amazing how many things we can forget about this !%&amp;*% game /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

BCgirl
10-08-2004, 11:39 PM
Hi Popcorn, sounds like a neat shot, but I can't picture it. Could you please diagram it on the RSB pool table ?

BCgirl

Chopstick
10-09-2004, 04:28 AM
Now that sounds really cool. I have never seen it. How do you set it up.

Popcorn
10-09-2004, 06:29 AM
Just jack up a little and make a half a ball jump.

START(
%AN7O5%BB7W5%DD9V9%EM5O6%FC8X3%GF1X4%HD0X0%ID8Y7%J F3V9%KE1W9
%LC2Y2%MF4Y3%NF1Y0%OD7Y8%PQ2S5
)END

Popcorn
10-09-2004, 06:32 AM
See my other reply to BC girl.

Chopstick
10-10-2004, 11:36 AM
Whoaaa! This is the nuts! I love it. Thanks Popcorn.

SpiderMan
10-11-2004, 08:59 AM
I used that shot once to call a ball out of a cluster when playing 8-ball, where I had to make first contact on a ball that was in the middle of the cluster. I had just gotten my Frog from Sid, and had been working with it pretty steady for a few hours, so I had the "range" calibrated on the equipment that night.

I think I got the idea from a similar shot to yours, discussed by Robert Byrne in either his "Standard" or "Advanced" Book of Pool &amp; Billiards, along with a bunch of other jump shots. It was like a whole section on jump-shot ideas, pretty interesting. Both of those books are good reading.

SpiderMan

ras314
10-11-2004, 11:37 AM
I saw Pookie make this shot against Scott Frost in a 1P game. Sounds like what you are describing. In a big money set I might add.

START(
%AN7O5%BB7W5%DD9V9%EM5O6%FC8X3%GF1X4%HD0X0%ID8Y7%J F3V9%KE1W9
%LC2Y2%MF4Y3%NF1Y0%OD7Y8%Ph2R3%RH6J6%SO8S9%WP2P1%X g2R3%YC7C8
%ZN1N9%eA7b3
)END

Chris Cass tried to show me how that was done, didn't think it was too unusual.