PDA

View Full Version : pc game foul, real or made up ???

Ives
10-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Hey all
Just got championship pool 2004 and when playing in career mode my opponent made a foul and the game said " two visits and a carry". The next shot that i miss i get to stay at the table for a second try. Is this some wierd pc game only rule or is there such a thing in real life. Ive never heard of this before.

ps- the games pretty cool if you havn't tried it yet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

woody_968
10-08-2004, 09:47 PM
That is just something on the pc game.

Bob_Jewett
10-09-2004, 11:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ives:</font><hr> ... and the game said " two visits and a carry". The next shot that i miss i get to stay at the table for a second try. <hr /></blockquote>
Sounds like English eight ball. They use their own very strange rules and the cue ball is smaller than the object balls on the snooker-like but tiny coin-ops. It should not be confused with American eight ball. This has been discussed several times in rec.sport.billiard
I think you may want to get Virtual Pool which tends to have the rules right and has a very good physics model (including jump and masse shots).

Beaver
10-09-2004, 01:03 PM
I bought the game for my X-box this summer while I was working in the states and I gotta hand it to you that the game is just really bad. I love pool but that game just is made by people who obviously have no idea what the game is about. If ud ask me whats wrong with it then I wouldnt know where to start describing it. I sure hope its better on ur PC, but I doubt it. I want my $34.95 back /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Fred Agnir
10-09-2004, 01:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ives:</font><hr> Hey all
Just got championship pool 2004 and when playing in career mode my opponent made a foul and the game said " two visits and a carry". The next shot that i miss i get to stay at the table for a second try. Is this some wierd pc game only rule or is there such a thing in real life. Ive never heard of this before.

ps- the games pretty cool if you havn't tried it yet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>Sounds like UK 8-ball rules.

http://arseweb.com/rupe/pool/uk_rules.html

Fred

TonyMN
10-09-2004, 08:52 PM
Yes, UK 8-ball rules. I grew up in England, and it took me a while to adjust to the different strategy of ball-in-hand versus a free visit to the table, when I moved to the US in 1993.

Last time I went back, I played in a pub, and I had to ask if the table was full-sized because it looked tiny compared to a normal 7ft US bar table. I had forgotten how much different the tables are.

I'm heading back again for two weeks in November, so I'm looking forward to playing the old rules again.

Tony in MN, was in Liverpool, then Manchester, then Winchester, England.

woody_968
10-10-2004, 08:31 AM
I never knew these rules were out there, forgive me for my incorrect answer /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

On a side note I would agree that if you want a video game of pool you need to look at Virtual Pool, at least version 2 or later. Its a great game.