PDA

View Full Version : Le Pro Tips - Zero "Blow-ups"

Troy
10-09-2004, 10:49 AM
This is a first for me !!!
I just completed putting Le Pro tips on 26 house cues for a room I support
and had zero "blow-ups"... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Usually I average about 5-10 bad tips per box.

Troy...~~~ So surprised I had to share it... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
10-09-2004, 10:57 AM
Troy,

What do you mean by a blow-up?

trailboss
10-09-2004, 10:59 AM
The LePro is not a bad tip. However, you usually get some bad ones in a batch! Sounds like they are working on this problem! I shoot good with this tip.

houseman
10-09-2004, 11:07 AM
Yes,
I have noticed that in the last two or three boxes i`ve used in my room, the quality is much better. They have so much competition now they better get it right. For a while there if you got 10 good tips in a box of 50 you did good.

Rod
10-09-2004, 01:56 PM
Troy,

Several years ago they changed how their tips were made. The good ones appear to be a darker color. I have a box from mueller, half gone and no problems. They are a harder dark brown color. I've seen and use to get mixed tips and some would blow up.

Rod

Barbara
10-09-2004, 02:14 PM
Wally,

When Barry used to put LePros on my shafts, the first thing he would do is sand the back of the tip - the side he glues to a pad that goes onto the ferrule. Anyway, if the back "fuzzed" on him, the tip was back and he would toss it.

Now Barry buys these tip by the hundreds. Sometimes he would throw almost half the order out because of the fuzzing, IIRC.

Barbara

Troy
10-09-2004, 02:41 PM
They turn to "mush" and get very soft.
I can usually pick out the bad tips when prep'ing the glue side, but occasionally I'll get through trimming & burnishing to the shaping stage and then it becomes a tall pile of mush.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Troy,

What do you mean by a blow-up? <hr /></blockquote>

Rod
10-09-2004, 02:42 PM
Barbara,

That is a good indicator of how firm of a tip. When they fuzz you just know it's a soft tip and can cause problems.

Rod

Stretch
10-09-2004, 06:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Barbara,

That is a good indicator of how firm of a tip. When they fuzz you just know it's a soft tip and can cause problems.

Rod <hr /></blockquote>

....and we can't have problems like that! lol

Yes i'd go through this whole ritual of picking the perfect tip. First the visual inspection, some have higher sides than others, i don't like them too tall. Any visual flaws and it's adios. Then i'll roll them on thier sides and it's easy to tell if thier out of round at all. Next is the drop test! You drop them into a glass ash tray and listen to the Ping they make. The more dence ones have a higher pitch ping when it's droped. That's the one! St

Wally_in_Cincy
10-11-2004, 05:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> They turn to "mush" and get very soft.
... <hr /></blockquote>

I bought a Dufferin SP a few months ago and the tip mushroomed about 1/16" to 1/8" after 3 games of pool /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Darndest thing I've ever seen.

Must have been one of those bad LePros. When I took it to my tip guy he shook his head knowingly /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

SpiderMan
10-11-2004, 08:49 AM
Are you talking about the tip becoming slightly "spongy" during the sidewall trim? Did you change your process, or do you think these were better tips than you usually encounter?

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> This is a first for me !!!

Troy...~~~ So surprised I had to share it... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Sid_Vicious
10-11-2004, 08:58 AM
I used the drop test onto an glass ashtray when I selected LePros, looking for the hardest tip and I never did have a bad LePro install. Someone here talked about a bite test also, gauging the density with an indentation with their incisor tooth, sounded like a keen idea, and yet my tip guy might have had a problem with that added routine. Hopefully the LePro makers have resolved the need for "tests" of integrity. Troy, are the LePro tips now consistently real hard or medium, how do they appear to rank IYO against a Triangle tip in hardness? Thanks...sid

Troy
10-11-2004, 09:01 AM
No change in process. I think the tips are improved for whatever reason. By the way, the 26 tips came from two boxes -- the end of one box &amp; the start of another. I rotate my stock -- first in, first out.
As I said in another post, I can usually pick out the bad tips when prep'ing the glue side, but occasionally I'll get through trimming &amp; burnishing to the shaping stage and then it becomes a tall pile of mush.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Are you talking about the tip becoming slightly "spongy" during the sidewall trim? Did you change your process, or do you think these were better tips than you usually encounter?

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> This is a first for me !!!

Troy...~~~ So surprised I had to share it... /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan
10-11-2004, 09:09 AM
Where did you purchase the boxes, and when? If there's new material flowing through, maybe I should get some.

SpiderMan

Troy
10-11-2004, 11:17 AM
I sure can't say that 26 tips from two boxes indicates real product improvement.
The real test will come when I get into multiple boxes in the next few months.
I think these came from Willard's during their annual "BCA Show/Convention sale", but I'm not positive.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Where did you purchase the boxes, and when? If there's new material flowing through, maybe I should get some.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan
10-11-2004, 02:43 PM
Thanks, I can afford to wait a while. I don't actually get many direct requests for LePros. More often they just want "something like what was on there" and I steer them to a Triangle if it looks like a LePro.

SpiderMan

sliprock
10-11-2004, 03:47 PM
I've noticed the same thing. Out of the last box of Lepro's, I might have thrown away 2 or 3 tips. The batch before that, I would say that I threw away about 10-20 tips.