PDA

View Full Version : Does Cost determine where or how often you play ?

SnakebyteXX
10-09-2004, 12:28 PM
There are only two decent sized pool halls within thirty miles of where I live. The one closest to me charges nearly eight dollars an hour per person during the day and more at night. The other also has a sliding scale of lower day rates and higher evening rates. But they have an accomodation for people who like to play a lot - passes.

The difference between the two is that the second one sells 'day passes' and the other pool hall doesn't. For a flat $7.50 that allow you to play as many hours as you want up until 6:00 pm. They also offer a monthly pass for $35 that gives you free access to play as many hours a day as you'd like including weekends with reduced fees in the evening.

It seems to me that the place with the passes has a lot more traffic than the one that doesn't. But simple logic tells me that many of those players are not paying by the hour to play. I don't know if the pass system is cost effective for the pool hall but it sure seems to be for active players.

I favor the one with the pass program because it costs me much less to play - even though I have to travel another twenty miles round trip just to get there and back.

How many here think that the cost of playing time influences where they play and how much time they spend playing when they get there? Would you play more and more often if it cost less?

Snake

Rod
10-09-2004, 01:46 PM
Snake, I would. The room near me is $3.50 per hour, daytime. They punch a card and you get a free hour after 9 hours of play. Not to bad but there are a couple of rooms that charge $5 for all day. Problem is they are a lot farther that I want to drive.

Rod

trailboss
10-09-2004, 07:55 PM
My buddie has a table, two six packs for all day! The closest pool hall charges 20 for all day.

charlieb
10-09-2004, 11:56 PM
There is Sports Bar 8 blks away that only charges 2.00 per hr! (During the day) But the equipment sucks. There is another room 12 miles away where the equipment is very good and the Senior rate is only $2.50 per hr. They also have a monthly pass for $60.00 that is good from 11:00 til 5 (probably will be changed til 6PM) every day of the month. And they have the added advantage of people like Efren ocasionally stopping by. And watching, on alnost a daily basis people like Morro, King Kong, Ernesto and many other high quality players. It's a no brainer for me.

Leviathan
10-10-2004, 07:39 AM
Cost is a big factor for me. I like to play for several hours at a time, so I look for low hourly rates or economical passes. A combination of passes and hourly table charges works for pool enthusiasts, who may not want to pay for a lot of non-pool amenities; it's also acceptable to customers who don't want to play all day but are willing to pay more on an hourly basis to get a bigger package of amenities.

AS

GStrong
10-10-2004, 04:58 PM
Most definitely yeah! The place I play, which is about 5 blocks from my house, is only $2 from 12 noon to 7pm! Not hourly, but just 2 dollars. Unfortunately, I am usually the only one there between 1 and 4, so it gets a little boring at times.

Chris Cass
10-10-2004, 10:05 PM
Hi Snakes,

Cost is a major factor with me. Especially now being on a SSI fixed income along with 3 players in the family. There's two pool rooms close to me and ones in IA and the other in Ill.

There's Leisure Time Billiards owned by my boss Duaine Bowman and the other, Miller Time Billiards in Ia owned by Denny Miller and future owner but half owner now, Terry Anderson and wife Patty.

I worked for Miller Time way back when with pool tournaments and electrical repairs on and off. Duaine used to wrk for Denny yrs ago and Deny reniged on a deal for selling to Duaine after a set time and Duaine went into business for himself.

Duaines been supporting pool events and the sport for 17 yrs. I think? He ran the bar table largest pool tournament in the world along with many events with Willard. I attended many and that's when Scott was starting out directing.

Anyway, Miller Time since closed their Moline, Il place and just has the Ia one left. They charge like a $7. all day rate. They have Valley bar tables and GC III' 9 fts. Right now as it's still owned by both Teryy and Deny the place has let the tables go to pot. The cloth loose and rails some dead and have been neglected from only one yr since the tables were reconditioned to play very well.

Now, it only frustrates me to no end playing there. I refuse to do any tournament play there and only do the league by force. I think once the place is bought out by Terry and Patty it might change. Terry loves the sport but it escapes me how he could let his equipment go so neglected. I'm know he's got a ton of money invested and the crowd of young people tear everything up. It must be hard to keep it all in control but untill Terry and his lovely wife Patty whom are my personal friends buy it. I think I'll pass on playing there on my own.

The place I do play at is Leisure Time Billiards. Duaine and Tammy Bowman take very good care of the maintenance of all the equipment there. Since the addition of the new counter staff such as myself lol and Terry a young up and comer are counter guys that don't let abusive behavior of the equipment happen.

We charge a all day rate of $6. per person. Otherwise $4.00 per hr. Duaine also offers a mthly rate of $60. not including weekends. Duaine supported me throughout my ordeal with C and since gave me a counter job to get me out of the house and back to what I love to do. That's shooting and being at the ph. lol

I get free time and Duaine and Tammy treat me so very well. How many bosses hug you? I love them. Anyway, it's the only place to play. I only wish there would be more tournament play out here as it's hard to get the rail birds off their chairs.

That's another story.

C.C.

bomber
10-11-2004, 09:07 AM
cost is always a factor. it just kinda depends on where you live. i live in west kentucky and a typical hourly rate is 2.40-2.70 an hour. When i was in college, rates were even lower...so cost is not much of an issue here. but, i will pay higher rates for better atmosphere and equipment.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-11-2004, 09:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bomber:</font><hr> cost is always a factor. it just kinda depends on where you live. i live in west kentucky and a typical hourly rate is 2.40-2.70 an hour.

<font color="blue">One place here has $1.50/hr. before 6:00 pm but I'm not crazy about going there. They only have one 9-footer and half the time it's covered and the owner is doing league paperwork on it and he won't let me use it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif What a goof.

The place I prefer is only $3.50/hr.

I'm not apt to play more than 3 hours so I run out of energy long before I run out of money. </font color>

... i will pay higher rates for better atmosphere and equipment.

<font color="blue">Ditto that. See above. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Sid_Vicious
10-11-2004, 10:20 AM
I'll play less at pricey halls but I'll still sample about all of them in time. I know there are people who will only play when it's cheap-to-free, no matter if they have to alter their usual play times of the day, or if the setting(bar boxes vs real tables) is traded off. I'll usually maintain some middle of the road interest but I prefer 8' or 9' tables with drop pockets and somewhere outside of the far southside, if you know what I mean. By the time I add the extra time for the drive, a maybe seedy neighborhood, and then add in the quality of the equipment at the $-place, I usually find it easy to toss cash into a til instead of making the free hall the absolute must. But I will say that if I am going to burn up an afternoon or evening playing, I will at least get reduced rates if I can, flat rate is a good thing. Otherwise, a little expense ain't going to steer me away from a room full of Diamonds or well kept Crowns...sid

Stretch
10-11-2004, 10:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bomber:</font><hr> cost is always a factor. it just kinda depends on where you live. i live in west kentucky and a typical hourly rate is 2.40-2.70 an hour.

<font color="blue">One place here has $1.50/hr. before 6:00 pm but I'm not crazy about going there. They only have one 9-footer and half the time it's covered and the owner is doing league paperwork on it and he won't let me use it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif What a goof.

The place I prefer is only $3.50/hr.

I'm not apt to play more than 3 hours so I run out of energy long before I run out of money. </font color>

... i will pay higher rates for better atmosphere and equipment.

<font color="blue">Ditto that. See above. </font color> <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

Wow! You guys sound shell shocked down there with table time. I've always been a practice-achoalic and would have been bankrupt a long time ago (it just took this long haha) had it not been for the abundence of tables up here. It took awhile but i found my dream place. The table is "free":) I found it in a little sports bar round back of a Smitty's pancake house. It's a beauty 8ft CBB Americana that plays great. The coffee is free (you gotta keep all the VLT gamblers happy) so i just help myself and practice on the table after work.

In the evenings there's also deals in all the clubs, on certain nights where you can play all night for 5 bucks. You just have to check around. Some places give you 2 hours time if you order something from the kitchen, that sort of thing. Then there's league night's and team practices.....free. Where they get ya is the VLT's, bar tab, and menue lol. But if your strickly about the pool.....it's nuthin. St

Deeman2
10-11-2004, 10:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> all night for 5 bucks. <hr /></blockquote>

And Stretch, those are not real bucks either are they, A?

Deeman
could play in Nova all night for around $3.70!!

Stretch
10-11-2004, 11:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> all night for 5 bucks. <hr /></blockquote>

And Stretch, those are not real bucks either are they, A?

Deeman
could play in Nova all night for around $3.70!! <hr /></blockquote>

LOL Your right, we don't have paper dollars anymore...or even paper Two's.....Got lots of change! St.