PDA

View Full Version : Frustration Builds for Marines

PQQLK9
10-10-2004, 12:21 AM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20794-2004Oct9.html

Troops in Iraq criticizing way war is being run, and, in some cases, asking why it is being waged.

(excerp)

When the Marines returned to their truck, Autin and Kelly began to debate the merits of the American presence in Iraq.

"And, by the way, why are we here?" Autin said.

"I'll tell you why we're here," Kelly replied. "We're here to help these people."

Autin agreed and said he supported the mission.

He added later that it was difficult to wage the battle when American commanders were holding them back.

"We feel they care more about Iraqi civilians than they do American soldiers," he said.

Asked if he was concerned that the Marines would be punished for speaking out, Autin responded: "We don't give a crap. What are they going to do, send us to Iraq?"

A vote for Kerry will mean that "help is on the way"

highsea
10-10-2004, 05:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr>A vote for Kerry will mean that "help is on the way" <hr /></blockquote>Do you think Kerry's going to change the ROE's?

From the Wash. Post piece:[ QUOTE ]
The Marines also expressed frustration that they were unable to fight more aggressively because of restraints in the rules of engagement imposed by senior commanders.

The rules, which require Marines to positively identify their target as hostile before shooting, are cumbersome in the face of urban guerrilla warfare, several of them said.

Lance Cpl. Jeremy Kyrk, 21, of Chicago, said the insurgents took advantage of the limitations imposed on U.S. troops. "They don't give us any leeway, they don't give us any quarter," he said. "They catch people and cut their heads off. They know our limits, but they have no limits. We can't compete with that." <hr /></blockquote> It's easy to understand the frustration of these Marines. When you are fighting a guerilla war, you can't tell the difference between the enemy and civilians by looking at them. The choice is either an unacceptable number of civilian casualties, or fight with one hand tied behind your back.

The US has the ability to flatten every square inch of Iraq. Do you think this is the answer?

Has Kerry given any indication he's going to change the Rules of Engagement? I think it's more likely that Kerry is going to cut and run, and leave Iraq to the terrorists and civil war. We'll have another Iran, and the sacrifice of the 1000+ soldiers who have given their lives will be for nothing.

nhp
10-10-2004, 07:26 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Has Kerry given any indication he's going to change the Rules of Engagement? I think it's more likely that Kerry is going to cut and run, and leave Iraq to the terrorists and civil war. We'll have another Iran, and the sacrifice of the 1000+ soldiers who have given their lives will be for nothing. <hr /></blockquote>

I just heard on the news that Donald Rumsfeld visiting in Iraq told the troops he may withdraw them as soon as they can beef up the Iraqi security force.

highsea
10-10-2004, 09:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr>I just heard on the news that Donald Rumsfeld visiting in Iraq told the troops he may withdraw them as soon as they can beef up the Iraqi security force. <hr /></blockquote>That's what we've always said, Nat. The US has never said we want a permanent presence in Iraq. It goes like this: 1.Train the Iraqis and equip them to provide their own security. 2. Put in place a democratically elected government. 3. Leave.

Ross
10-10-2004, 10:37 AM
3. Leave (except for US military bases).