PDA

View Full Version : Reporter holds firm in CIA leak case

Qtec
10-10-2004, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Reporter holds firm in CIA leak case
A US reporter has said she is reluctant to divulge a confidential source to prosecutors investigating the leaking of an undercover CIA agent's identity.
New York Times reporter Judith Miller faces jail for refusing to testify.

Ms Miller, who gathered material for a story but never wrote one, was held in contempt by a judge in Washington.

But she told NBC television she would have to be sure the source's decision to be identified was voluntary before she would consider a disclosure.

"Supposing the investigation is beyond this one source to other sources, whom I may not be able to ask how they feel?" she said.

"The issue here is whether or not I'm going to protect them and our readers by being able to do my job," she added.

Ms Plame's husband, former US charge d'affaires in Baghdad, Joseph Wilson, had been sent by the CIA to Niger to investigate claims that then Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein had tried to obtain uranium for nuclear weapons.

He concluded there was no evidence of this, but Mr Bush still referred to the claims in his State of the Union address.

A week after Mr Wilson's article appeared questioning the Niger allegations, Ms Plame was exposed by journalist Robert Novak, who said he based his report on the comments of two unidentified senior administration officials.

A report in the Washington Post newspaper later suggested that White House officials blew the cover of Mr Wilson's wife in order to discredit him, by suggesting he had been given the Niger mission only at her urging.

Disclosing a covert agent's name is a criminal offence in the US, punishable by up to 10 years in prison.

<hr /></blockquote>

Can anybody honestly say that it was in the public interest to reveal the name of an undercover US agent/spy?

It doesnt say much for the GOP commitment to National Security when they are prepared to 'out'one of their own spies in order to discredit a dissenting voice.

Put Karl Rove on the lie detector.

Q[ the machine would probably explode /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif]