PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Expo--Earl antics

Perk
10-11-2004, 07:20 AM
I started a separate thread just so it doesnt contaminate the had fun thread. It started to get mentioned there, but I wanted to add my take on it.

Earl didnt have a successfull week or weekend at all as a player during the 1P event, nor the Pro 9ball. During his matches he was rude to his opponent, and seemed aggravated from the start. As far as I know, he was NOT rude to any of the spectators. When he was not playing he spent ALOT of time at the front Practice table and was available to the public for challenge games, pictures, and to talk with. He was very nice during this time, totally different than his demeanor at the event tables.

I want to tell one specific story that happened during the 1P event. Earl was playing my friend in the 1P tourney, in the B bracket. My friend beat Earl 3-0 in about 20 minutes. During the final rack Earl started telling Adam to shoot already, and that he was playing TOO SLOW. He kept talking the remaing few balls. Adam ranout the last rack to win the match 3-0. It lasted less than 20 minutes! After the match, they had a small confrontation and Earl was bashing Adam pretty good claiming that he played way too slow and that anyone could have ran those balls faster than that. Last time I checked, 20 minutes in 9ball was fairly quick for a Race to 3 match.

woody_968
10-11-2004, 11:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> Last time I checked, 20 minutes in 9ball was fairly quick for a Race to 3 match. <hr /></blockquote>

I assume you wanted to say 1P /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Earl is a hard one to figure out, during and right after matches he can and is flat out rude, but away from the table we often hear how he is one of the nicest guys to talk with. I guess he just has the "I play best when Im mad" attitude.

One could say his comments at the end of the match were just because he saw he was going to lose, but it kinda looks like a shark attack to me /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

SteveEllis
10-11-2004, 01:16 PM
1P strikes me as the worse possible game in the world for a guy with Earl's impatient attitude to play. Although I could just imagine him trying to sit in a chair for a 50+ ball run in 14.1.

1on1pooltourneys
10-12-2004, 12:03 AM
Earl doesn't even play one pocket...obviously.
I have to stick up for Earl a little bit here. Earl Strickland can be a very nice and generous person. A respectable pro player told me that Earl is a time bomb when he screws his cue together and if everything doesn't go his way he looks for any and every scape goat possible, however, the same pro player whose name i won't mention told me that one time a kid was selling raffle tickets for his baseball team at a tournament, Earl was practacing on a table and called the kid over and bought 200 dollars worth and told the kid to give them to the spectators that were watching him practice. One of the spectators won the cue. I thought i'd share that story with you all.

Fred Agnir
10-12-2004, 07:38 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1on1pooltourneys:</font><hr>the same pro player whose name i won't mention told me that one time a kid was selling raffle tickets for his baseball team at a tournament, Earl was practacing on a table and called the kid over and bought 200 dollars worth and told the kid to give them to the spectators that were watching him practice. One of the spectators won the cue. I thought i'd share that story with you all. <hr /></blockquote>Yup. I have to say that Earl can be the nicest guy and the not-so-nicest guy at the same time.

In the end, he's a great player (one of the greatest ever), he's a showman, and he wears his emotions on his sleeves, pants, and shoes.

Fred

Bob C
10-12-2004, 02:59 PM
I didn't get to St. Charles until Thursday but by that time Earl's playing cue looked like it was all taped up at the butt end. It made the butt almost the diameter of a coke can. Someone told me he had broken his cue in anger and then repaired it but I don't know if that is what happened for sure.

BTW, Grady, who plays right handed, was playing with a glove on his right hand. What is the theory behind that?

ragbug74
10-12-2004, 06:18 PM
I must agree with the past few posters here and argue a case for Earl. There is a "good Earl" and a "bad Earl".

Friday night at the Midwest Open was definitely a visit from "bad Earl". I think he does some things at the table that are bad for pool and unacceptable. But I must also add that I've seen Earl play in person several times over the past 10+ years and because of his reputation as a hothead, people will say almost anything to him to fire him up. I've heard people say things to him during matches that probably should've gotten them tossed from the arena. This isn't fair, but if you establish this type of reputation for yourself, you have to live with it.

And on the other side of the coin, we have "good Earl". Every time I've approached him or talked with him, he has been one of the nicest pro's I've met. Always happy to sign an autograph, take a picture, shoot the bull, whatever....away from the competitive table. Last year at the Midwest Open, he was making an appearance at a booth just hitting balls around by himself and shooting the bull with all of us sitting around the table. No different than you and your circle of friends at the local pool room.

I usually don't care much for people that exhibit the "bad Earl" type of behavior, but in this case, I make an exception. In competition I've seen "bad Earl", as well as "good Earl" from time to time. That's his job, and I figure he knows what he needs to do to be successful at what he does for a living. I'm not condoning how he goes about doing it, but when you're at work.... On the other hand, I've always encountered "good Earl" away from the table. Whatever his issues are, you can't doubt his competitiveness, although he does step over the line from time to time. I would bet that many people would see him in a different light if they ever encountered him in a social situation, away from the competition.

Nostroke
10-12-2004, 09:39 PM
Ask him for an autograph immediately after a loss and see how good he is away from the table.

stickman
10-13-2004, 12:16 AM
I've noticed this trait in several players. Some of the best players I know are the nicest people you'll ever meet, until you catch them on a poor day at the table. Some deal well with bad days and some don't.

Chopstick
10-13-2004, 10:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> During the final rack Earl started telling Adam to shoot already, and that he was playing TOO SLOW. He kept talking the remaing few balls. <hr /></blockquote>

General Rules of Pocket Billiards

40. INTERFERENCE. If the nonshooting player distracts his opponent or interferes with his play, he has fouled.

I would have called a foul on him. I don't know why more people don't do it.

Chris Cass
10-13-2004, 10:42 AM
Hi Chops,

Because, sometiomes it's better to let it go. It might be more in your favor if you do. If you acknoledge the shark? It's all you really need. If you look too deep into it then, it'll work. lol

Besides, just because one person isn't cool that doesn't mean you have to join them. Heck, I let my opponent know the first shot was behind the line before he shot. He was going down at the time. I could have easily let him foul and the score was 3-1 him. Some things are just not wortyh calling them on it.

Regards,

C.C.~~jmho