PDA

View Full Version : Optical illusion?

bsmutz
10-11-2004, 01:06 PM
I was watching a match on TV Friday and saw Jeannette Lee miss a shot similar to this.
START(
%AI3I4%JH0K4%PR9N8

)END
I've noticed while playing that when a shot like this comes up, I have a tendency to miss also. The one goes to the top rail just to the right of the pocket. Sometimes, the cue ball will hit the other ball just before the intended ball, but usually it seems to hit the intended ball first but because of the proximity of the other ball, the aim is slightly off. Has anyone else noticed this and do you then purposely aim a little fuller on the one ball to avoid the miss? I know if the table looks more like this
START(
%AJ5I6%JJ5L5%PQ9P8

)END
then the shot aim point seems easier to see and the shot is more likely to go. It seems like there is some sort of optical illusion going on.

Rod
10-11-2004, 02:16 PM
The first shot is draw or follow for position, while the second is a stop shot. Little changes make a difference in how you play position. If your missing your alignment may be off or your stroke wasn't straight. Unwanted side english can cause a miss.

Rod

bsmutz
10-11-2004, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the reply, Rod, but I don't think I explained it well enough. Ignoring position, on either a follow or draw, the cue ball is going to hit the 10 either way because of the cut angle. It's almost a simultaneous hit on the one and ten. If the cue hit the 10 first, it would deflect to the right and hit the 1 to the right of the aim spot and the 1 would hit the foot rail. When I used to mountain bike, we used to say look at where you want the bike to go and not at the obstacles you want to miss. As soon as you look at the obstacle, you're going to hit it instead of the safe line. On this shot, you're worried about the bad hit so maybe you're looking at the ball you don't want to hit too hard and end up missing the correct spot on the ball you do want to hit. I'm not sure what the reason is, I just know that Jeannette and I both ended up hitting a spot on the one that was too close to the 10 (the ball we don't want to hit first) instead of the other way around which would seem more logical. I see this type of shot fairly often where when you look at it, it looks like if you hit both balls at the same time, the one on the right is dead in but when you shoot it, it kicks, throws, or travels to the right of the correct line and you could swear you executed correctly.

Rod
10-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Ok, well Like I said the second one is a stop shot. You can shoot the one in and slide the c/b a tad to the right. I copied your same shot and put the 9 there to show how much room is available. Nothing is in the way, aim for the pocket center to left side.

START(
%AJ5I6%IK6K5%JJ5L5%PQ9P8%WD5D0%XS8R5

)END

The first shot is a little different but once again it shows how much room you have with the 9 as a ghost ball. With the right stroke a smooth follow will not touch the 10. I mean smooth so the c/b reacts immeadiatly. At best it could touch the 10 but thats all. Of course the other way is draw if your not comfortable with follow. Once again you might touch the 10 at best. Aim for the pocket fat, left side.

START(
%AI3I4%IJ1J3%JH0K4%PR9N8%UD3D4%VI0I1%WC5F2%XU5P7

)END

I think what your thinking is because Jenatte missed and you did, something must be wrong. If the balls are set that way I assure you she just had a mental lapse, nothing more. We all make mistakes and this happens to be one she made.

Now if the balls are in a much tighter group that changes how you shoot the shot. I have a feeling the set up may have been a little different.

One thing for sure you have to make a commitment, if there is room decide how to play position and execute. If your wondering will I hit the 10 first, you likely will do so. There is mentally room for 1 thought, all others just get in the way.

I sneak past balls and others do as well. I determine how much pocket is available by looking past the trouble ball. If I have the left side of the pocket open then that's where I aim. I never think about the trouble ball because I've checked that all ready. If the stroke is straight and true and my aim is correct it goes, no second thoughts.

Rod

poolguy123
10-12-2004, 07:50 AM
Hi Bill!

(hows Saturday looking for you? I'm pumped already!)

On this shot- I see it as distraction rather than an illusion. The ball just to the left of your line of aim gets in your brain and you lose focus on the object ball just for a split sec. I do the same thing when a cluster is right near an object ball or I neeed to hit a precise point on the rail nearby-it can be a simple shot, but I can easily get distracted by the other nearby target.

For the shot you showed- I think like Rod said- once you determine the ball can be made without hitting the other ball first- the distracting ball must become invisible- your aren't trying to miss the distracter- you're focusing on making the object ball. That's how I approach it anyway

Jim (snooker.......snooker..........snooker........)

bsmutz
10-12-2004, 11:58 AM
Thanks, guys. I'm going to try what worked in mountain biking and once I've decided on the shot, ignore the distraction. I'm definitely ready for some snooker. Time to tighten the game up again. Hoping they recovered the table for us. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif