PDA

View Full Version : Another question

bsmutz
10-11-2004, 01:10 PM
I went to the garage to practice Saturday morning and found that it was a little chilly. I noticed that the feeling was very similar to nerves in a tournament. Small muscle control was shaky and the gut muscles were tensed up. I was thinking that playing while cold (shivering or close to it) might be a way to practice getting through the butterflies. What do you think?

Deeman2
10-11-2004, 01:44 PM
JMHO but I think you only get over tournament "shakes" by playing in a lot of tournaments. I think the cold exposure in your garage will just make you play better when it's snowing inside the pool hall. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Deeman

Barbara
10-11-2004, 01:48 PM
The only way you're going to get through the butterflies is to gain confidence of your game.

Barbara

Rod
10-11-2004, 02:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> The only way you're going to get through the butterflies is to gain confidence of your game.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

That sure helps. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod
10-11-2004, 02:06 PM
Not so fast Dee, I saw it snow in a bowling alley! LOL

Rod

woody_968
10-11-2004, 08:57 PM
The room I play in is often cold. Last Saturday I had a tshirt and two long sleave shirts on and was still shivering /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

cueball1950
10-11-2004, 10:18 PM
To cold can't be good for the table..................mike

1on1pooltourneys
10-11-2004, 11:52 PM
The absolute best way to handle "butterflies" is to put yourself in pressure situation day in and day out. It could be playing in tournaments or giving up the nuts to somebody gambling. Nick Varner told me handling pressure comes with experience and practice. The more times you put the heat on yourself, the better you will do. Johnny Archer told me one time that when he feels the pressure, it makes him rise to the occasion, looking at it as a time to shine, rather than a time to fail or let negative thoughts creep in. I agree with him.
OH, and woody, you don't play in a "room".

rah
10-12-2004, 09:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bsmutz:</font><hr> I went to the garage to practice Saturday morning and found that it was a little chilly. I noticed that the feeling was very similar to nerves in a tournament. Small muscle control was shaky and the gut muscles were tensed up. I was thinking that playing while cold (shivering or close to it) might be a way to practice getting through the butterflies. What do you think? <hr /></blockquote>

Absolutely a big NO NO. You may pick up bad habits that will carry forward with you to the pool rooms.

woody_968
10-12-2004, 09:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1on1pooltourneys:</font><hr> OH, and woody, you don't play in a "room". <hr /></blockquote>

Its a room, it has walls and a roof, I just didnt call it a pool room because it isnt /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bsmutz
10-12-2004, 12:09 PM
Okay, no short cuts on learning to shoot under pressure. I just don't get into very many pressure situations. I guess I'll have to seek them out more often. Thanks for the replies.

RichardCranium
10-12-2004, 01:22 PM
Here is some pressure for you....The next time you are shooting in your garage..(thats cold)....each time you miss...you have to take off a piece of clothing....Once you lose all your clothing...Each time you miss you have to run a lap around the block......Is that enough pressure for you&gt;&gt;&gt;:) (see you on the news) RC