PDA

View Full Version : More Bad Sportsmanship

Wally_in_Cincy
05-16-2002, 08:21 AM
Yeah I know this subject has been beaten to death but I just need to vent.

I'm matched against a guy I'll call "CL" (Tom in Cincy knows CL because CL also plays in the Cincinnati Straight Pool League). CL is the only player in the CSPL that I am aware of who has ever displayed poor sportsmanship in that league and he continued his normal pattern in the APA event last night.

He's the best player on the other team. I'm the 4th best player on my team. CL has about an 85% chance of cleaning my clock but he proceeds to play mind games anyway.

I won the lag, broke, made a ball. While I'm shooting CL proceeds to the adjacent table, which was vacant, puts quarters in and proceeds to PRACTICE !! One of my teammates goes and gets a ref. Ref comes over to CL's table, rakes the balls into the pockets and chews him out for doing something so blatantly against the rules. CL rolls his eyes in dramatic fashion.

At one point CL is getting ready to shoot at a stripe which almost touching a solid. We called a ref over to watch the hit (we are encouraged to do that to avoid arguments). CL rolls his eyes in dramatic fashion. He's obviously such a good player he could never make a bad hit.

I win the second game and break. DUD RACK !! I hammered that break and barely hit 4 balls to the rail. Nothing went past the footstring. He did the same thing to me in game 6. I know, I should have checked the rack. I didn't think to. That lapse of concentration thing ya know.

I know what you're thinking. I let the guy get in my head. Not true. I have seen his act before and it doesn't affect my game believe me.

Final score CL - 5, Wally - 2

Thanks for listening. I feel much better now.

Doctor_D
05-16-2002, 08:39 AM
Good morning:

Amazing the games that people like to play. Needless to say, they have nothing else of substance and/or value with which to commit their resources.

Now, as far as racks are concerned, I check every single rack which has been racked by an opponent prior to breaking. If I do not like what I see, I politely ask for a re-rack. Period!

Dr. D.

05-16-2002, 04:41 PM
When a player starts sharking, it's because they lack the confidence to let their game speak for itself. So, when a guy starts up, use his behavior to boost your own confidence with the knowlege that this behavior is an act of desperation and insecurity, regardless of his handicap or skill level. Shark him right back by stating that his actions clearly indicate that he's displaying his fear throught these actions. The best players don't need to resort to acting that way.

Tom_In_Cincy
05-16-2002, 04:52 PM
DaveB
Wally's opponent is a real good player.. his lack of respect for his opponents is his trademark. He's just so full of himself.. its borders on the ridiculous.

Ralph S.
05-16-2002, 06:12 PM
Wally, I know it's not your style of game, but if you play his style just a bit with the shark moves, more often than not they will pretty much cease knowing that you are capable of playing the game with them. It's alot like raising the first raiser in a poker game, they back off because they think you have something.
Ralph S.

Wally_in_Cincy
05-17-2002, 05:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Ralph S.:</font><hr> Wally, I know it's not your style of game, but if you play his style just a bit with the shark moves, more often than not they will pretty much cease knowing that you are capable of playing the game with them. It's alot like raising the first raiser in a poker game, they back off because they think you have something.
Ralph S. <hr></blockquote>

That's good advice but I just can't do it. It takes me out of my game. I don't have a whole lot of experience at sharking. I guess I should practice my shark moves! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

05-17-2002, 09:24 AM
I guess I should practice my shark moves! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif <hr></blockquote>

I know people who do just that, practice their sharking techniques!

Maybe Earl Strickland can start the 'Earl the Pearl Sharking School'!

Steve

05-17-2002, 09:31 AM
DO NOT lower your self to his level, check every rack, have a ref. watch every questionable shot and keep your head in your game. What goes around comes around, This is the type of player this old man loves to get on a table and release the "cracken" on.

Jay M
05-17-2002, 11:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote:</font><hr>
I know people who do just that, practice their sharking techniques!
<hr></blockquote>

My brother and I play on his table occasionally and we are always joking about "sharks". We have a whole bunch of ones that we have come up with along the line, usually inadvertantly, but added to the repertoire and all fair game at any point when we play:

The reflection shark - his pool room has a sliding glass door and when one of us is shooting with the other behind us, the one behind can make faces, move around, wave their hands etc and the person shooting is sharked by the reflection in the glass.

The shadow shark - In a pool room with windows near the table, the sharker positions himself behind the shooter in such a way as to cause his shadow to fall across the table where the cue ball is. Make shadow puppets using the cue ball as a part of the puppet while the other person is aiming.

The cell phone shark- call the other persons cell phone while they are preparing to shoot and then hang up before they can answer... If their caller ID busts you, claim they were the last one you talked to and you must have bumped the send button by accident.

The "I'm grabbing a beer" shark - as they are preparing to shoot, mention that you are going to the bar to get a drink and politely ask them if they want anything.

The "look over there" shark - In a pool room with some women (men for the ladies) walking around, point at one at random and say something like "Check her out" (note that between guys it usually sounds a bit more sexist than what I used). Guaranteed to last for at least the current rack, but there is a possibility you may shark yourself as well.

Jay M

05-17-2002, 01:45 PM
We have a player like that in our area too. A very good player, but arrogant as can be. Once in a match against me, he started up; I gave it right back to him, and before long he started to slip. He became so frustrated with himself he began to hit himself in the head with his fist-HARD! I was stunned at the reversal in his behavior and what it revealed. It was one of the more satisfying pool experiences I've had. I still believe that those that dish it out usually can't take it, once you find the chink in their armor. Arrogance is often a facade used to compensate for other issues. No matter how good you are, it doesn't give you the right to treat others poorly. It's much better to be graceful to your opponent regardless of the outcome because then you promote genuine respect. ( I didn't always think or act this way. I learned from watching those that I respected and changed in order to present myself in a more mature and professional manner which in turn elevated my game.) I still have an occasional lapse but not very often. :-)