PDA

View Full Version : Table cloth color suggestions?

trailboss
10-12-2004, 05:26 AM
I have Mali spruce ( dark green ) and I like it ok. I wanted something darker other than the traditional green which looks yucky to me. Now I need to recover an 8 foot table and would like to choose a lighter color cloth such as light blue, medium blue, camel, or gold color. Any suggestions?

Wally_in_Cincy
10-12-2004, 06:19 AM
I don't mind the camel but I have never played for an extended period on it. Just remember you will have to use tan chalk.

The blue they have been using on the WPC tv matches is not bad.

http://worldpoolchampionship.com/mygallery/gallery_pics/poolchamp/30/WLDPOOL_DY6_REYES10.jpg

Rich R.
10-12-2004, 06:57 AM
I have the Simonis grey cloth and I like it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rukiddingme
10-12-2004, 06:58 AM
I've played on different color cloth but green is still my favorite in terms of playability. I can really see the balls well on that color.
ruk

WaltVA
10-12-2004, 07:32 AM
I'd go with the light blue - to my eyes, the balls show up better on this, light grey, or camel, but the camel seems to show dirt and looks dingy quickly.

I still like the standard green Simonis color.
Walt in VA

bomber
10-12-2004, 10:46 AM
imho, standard green is the only way to go...this is what you will play on outside your home, so it makes sense that you will want to practice on it. it could actually mess your game up when you play on an odd color of cloth for an extended period of time. your eyes have to readjust to the green. just my two cents and i could be very wrong, but i have had a similar experience.

B0B_PERKINS
10-12-2004, 05:00 PM
No matter what colour cloth you put on the table you still need to read the layout of the balls when playing. The colour of the cloth won't get or keep you from properly getting from one shot to the next. Colour can be psychological... so my advice is simply to choose a colour you truly like. When I recently redid my table I put what's called an "electric blue" on it. For me the bottom line is that when I look at it and play on it... it just makes me feel good! ... Bob

PQQLK9
10-12-2004, 05:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote B0B_PERKINS:</font><hr> When I recently redid my table I put what's called an "electric blue" on it. For me the bottom line is that when I look at it and play on it... it just makes me feel good! ... Bob <hr /></blockquote>

Gotta luv that "Electric Blue". That is what I had on my table when I bought it. When I moved I went with green Simonis 760,then 860. The blue actually enhanced the light oak finish on the table. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JPB
10-12-2004, 07:17 PM
Green.

If you must go with a wrong color, go tan/gold. Nice color to play on. Played at a poolhall that had a bunch of gold crowns with the tan/gold cloth. It was big in the 60's I think and the prior owner bought a lot of it. It was giving way to green but some of the tables had it. The chalk won't stain your shaft at least.

I hate blue cloth. Like the boise state smurf turf. Ick. But it is better than some I guess.

Other colors are unacceptable to me. Cloth is green IMO.

Christy9
10-12-2004, 07:20 PM
In my opinion, green is the only color of cloth worth putting on a pool table!!

Chris Cass
10-12-2004, 08:03 PM
Yuck!

/ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,

C.C.

stickman
10-12-2004, 08:30 PM
I'm a std. green cloth guy, but I could adjust to something like the simonis electric blue. I've played on some ugly colors and didn't like it. Physiological maybe. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
10-13-2004, 04:24 AM
I was told by someone off the ccb that they had asked why the blue at the open on the tv table. They were told it, shows up much better under the cameras.

The home table is versital imho. I like to compete on strictly Simonis 860 Green. However, I have played on many different colors. I like the red and the blue. I once went to a freinds house party and he had a most beautiful red cloth on a fancy white body wood table with carvings in the legs and it was great. it did however went with his room decore. I think that is important to have it go with the room your table is in.

I've played on even purple. It takes time but once you get used to it it all becomes unnoticable. The initial shock is what will take a short while to get over. Once went to a pool hall in Maywood, IL. They had every different color cloth in the place. Looked like a rainbow of assorted stuff. Kinda cool.

Regards,

C.C.~~felt wierd gambling across from the local PD. lol

pooltchr
10-13-2004, 04:37 AM
Nick,
I agree. I'm an old school guy who really likes the traditional green, but I have to admit that it seems like I can see the balls better on the electric blue.
Steve

Vagabond
10-13-2004, 04:44 AM
or Pink for a change.Cheers /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Vagabond

JimS
10-13-2004, 05:00 AM
I'll only say this once. Pool table cloth is green. Period.

The old fart has spoken! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
10-13-2004, 06:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> or Pink for a change.Cheers /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Vagabond <hr /></blockquote>

When I was a kid I played a lot at a place called The Tangerine Room.

Yep, you guessed it. Orange cloth. Of course we were kids so we didn't give a darn.

Rich R.
10-13-2004, 06:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> How about Purple? <hr /></blockquote>
I am in the Baltimore area, home of the Ravens football team. Since one of their colors is purple, of course, some places in the area have used purple cloth on the pool tables.
I have trouble just looking at them. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SPetty
10-13-2004, 09:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> I've played on even purple. It takes time but once you get used to it it all becomes unnoticable. <hr /></blockquote>I played on purple a few times, and what became unnoticable was the four ball! Seriously, I lost the four ball several times on that purple cloth... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I go along with the posters that say green is the only color for a pool table.

Chris Cass
10-13-2004, 09:44 AM
HAHAHAHAHA

Jim, there's dark greens that I can't stand playing on. As long as it's green is a bit too presumptous. lol

Regards,

C.C.~~not an old fart but likes green the best too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
10-13-2004, 09:49 AM
Hi Spetty,

I have a same delemma with the 6 ball but bottom line. When we get a little older it becomes difficult to see some things. My wife pointed out that's why there's a senior tour. I have to agree with Mike Segal though. What senior tour? There's only one tournament. lol

Regards,

C.C.~~Mike looks so good.

JimS
10-13-2004, 09:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> HAHAHAHAHA

Jim, there's dark greens that I can't stand playing on. As long as it's green is a bit too presumptous. lol

Regards,

C.C.~~not an old fart but likes green the best too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Ok......I'll be more specific. Simonis green (hope there's only one green in the Simonis lineup /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif) Old time pool hall green. Not lime green. Not dark green. Not 6/14 ball green. Not Packers green (hmmm...Packers green is close!) OLD TIME POOL HALL SIMONIS GREEN!

The old fart has spoken...again, without stuttering or slurring or drooling. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sid_Vicious
10-13-2004, 10:16 AM
I honest to God believe that there's only one of two reasons you'd not get the traditional green cloth, 1. The wife makes you color coordinate with the rest of the decor(which makes you a wuss) 2. You're flat broke and somebody offers it for free, in which case I'd personally continue using my crap cloth for a while longer until I did have cash for a green cloth.

I've owned and played on different colors and IMMHSO, green is, and always will be, THE color...sid

stickman
10-13-2004, 05:19 PM
Chris, One place I played used red cloth and it seemed to mess with my eyes. I hated it. This place had a lot of drunks and fights. I said it was the red cloth. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif This same place tried tan. It always looked dirty, and the tan chalk was worthless in my opinion. I can't stand a dirty table. The guys that use excessive talcum, and leave the table looking like the Pillsbury Doughboy had been wrestling on the table, drive me nuts. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif The same goes with sitting the chalk upsidedown on the rail. If I'm thinking about these things, I'm not completely focused on my shooting. I can't help it, it's my own little personal problem. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ras314
10-13-2004, 06:01 PM
Wally, I must be the only one that likes different colored chalk than the cloth. I keep a little vacuum cleaner handy and the odd color chalk is easy to spot and clean up. Takes mabey 10 seconds between racks. If you can't see the blasted chalk how do you know when to clean it up before it works into the cloth?

rogerb
10-13-2004, 06:22 PM
Well I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who used NFL colors. I ordered an Olhausen Pro and being a raiders fan there was only one choice for a black table .. grey. Also I'm sure that in my area of Texas (Austin) there are more than just a few orange ones !!

AlabamaSlim
10-14-2004, 05:48 AM
Another old school "Simonis" green vote...and I like blue Master chalk exclusively. Why? Who the heck knows, just seems right! Different colored cloth is OK in a home environment, I think, but in a "serious" pool environment, it just has to be green. I have played in some areas where they had the dark purple almost black cloth...it always looks dirty and the table seems small. Psychological, I know, but the distance and angles always seem off to me. My eyes aren't quite as good as they once were, and the poor reflection of light off the dark cloth really bothers me. Guess I grew up on the old school green, and it feels like the right color...like the previous post reference the "Smurf Turf" of Boise State....it is OK for a novelty, but it just doesn't feel like serious football when I watch them, and they can be really good at times.

TERP
10-14-2004, 08:22 AM
The wife has talked me into the <font color="brown">'Wine' </font color> color cloth on a cherry finish table /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

armandito
10-14-2004, 02:39 PM
Yes, "wine" on a cherry table (Brunswick's cherry, which is their darkest).
By the way, who and why decided that green should be "the color"? I understand "tradition", but does it have history behind it? Like, was green the cheapest or most cost effective dye when the first commercial tables were made?

kyle
10-14-2004, 02:56 PM
Yes there's tradition in using green, to my knowledge the early billiards were indoor versions of croquet(played on grass).

TERP
10-14-2004, 05:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote armandito:</font><hr> Yes, "wine" on a cherry table (Brunswick's cherry, which is their darkest). <hr /></blockquote>

Yea, I think the wine looks good, but pushing for the bright blue since I can't have green /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif ...like Master's blue chalk, so think the blue will hide it better over the long haul...

ras314
10-14-2004, 06:17 PM
Jim, hate to tell you but there are at least 4 Simonis green shades. Simonis Green, Blue Green, Dark Green, and Spruce.

If Simonis Green is what Diamond sells as "standard green" I have it on my table. Also bought some Spruce for the old farts center here but the female who runs the place hasn't allowed the funds to get it installed. ARRRG!

Good to see you posting again.

ras314
10-14-2004, 06:33 PM
TERP, you DO NOT want the same color chalk so it will hide better over the long haul! There was that attitude here at the old farts center, one table that was played on 8 hrs a day 5 days a week. Almost never cleaned. Got hit with a brush once a month or so. Thing acted like the slate or frame was warped or something. Most bar tables rolled straighter.

Turned out chalk had worked its way thru the cloth, near 1/16 inch thick at places. Seems like the general attitude was "it's the same for everybody" but it drove me to buy my own table.

Hmm, maybe a good thing after all. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

JimS
10-14-2004, 07:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Jim, hate to tell you but there are at least 4 Simonis green shades. Simonis Green, Blue Green, Dark Green, and Spruce.

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! I can't stand it!!!!

If Simonis Green is what Diamond sells as "standard green" I have it on my table. Also bought some Spruce for the old farts center here but the female who runs the place hasn't allowed the funds to get it installed. ARRRG!

Good to see you posting again. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the welcome. Ah do preeeesheeate it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I don't know what color name I like but I knows it when ah sees it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

stickman
10-14-2004, 09:50 PM
TERP, What table did you decide on? Just curious.

Jim

ElbatLoop
10-15-2004, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes there's tradition in using green, to my knowledge the early billiards were indoor versions of croquet(played on grass).<hr /></blockquote>

I can appreciate that there are traditions but there are some that we should not be so married to. It is clear that the traditional balls (Ivory) are no longer the norm, and the traditional surface of pool tables (marble among other materials) is no longer considered traditional, so why must we be so stuck on green?

Sure, we all have our favorites for our table cloth, and I do like green myself but some of the other responses to this question regarding the use of anything but green come across as a bit harsh. We should not be made to feel guilty for suggesting or wanting to use something other than green.

As for my table, still being somewhat partial to green only because it is what I have played ~most~ on, I still selected a blue color called Cadet Blue, which looks great on the table, and which I find separates the balls from the surface better. Shadows are less noticeable with the lighter color as more light is reflected off the table.

ragbug74
10-16-2004, 06:53 AM
I believe I've heard that green is the traditional color because there have been studies that over longer periods of time, green is a color that is easier on your eyes. I have green on my Olhausen at home. I play at a local room that has blue and it's not too bad. Years ago, I used to play in a tourney at a bar that had gold/tan and after about 2 hours, it started to get annoying. The gold/tan also showed dirt easily and always looked dirty.

TERP
10-16-2004, 12:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> TERP, What table did you decide on? Just curious.

Jim <hr /></blockquote>

We're leaning in the Bradford direction right now /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I have another couple weeks to raise the rest of the cash, but decided against the Valley and the Olhausen (I didn't like the cross-beams and overall construction on the lower-priced lines).

I'm still in battle over cloth color /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

#### leonard
10-16-2004, 02:04 PM
Wait a second BOB, you can't come back from a 2 year Hiatus and Post as if nothing has gone on. Richard Cranium was called to task for it.

As a schoolteacher you know the rules You must bring an excuse, now what is your excuse.

Welcome Back.####

stickman
10-16-2004, 08:58 PM
Good Luck! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

B0B_PERKINS
10-17-2004, 11:34 AM
Hey leonard... good to hear from you again. 2 years?? time sure does fly. Actually I guess I just got frustrated back then with the way the board had gotten bogged down in a lot of negative squabbles... most not remotely pool related and maybe I was just ready to take a break. Anyway by the time I was ready to start posting again the board would no longer recognize my login, so for awhile I just let it ride. Finally I had to get Mike Howerton to delete my original account and then had to re-register. Your posts are one of the reasons I've always continued to follow the board even when I wasn't posting. Don't know how regular I'll be but it's good to reconnect with you guys. ...Bob

#### leonard
10-17-2004, 12:27 PM
BOB I forgot that your buddy Stretch was absent for a while without a valid excuse. He has been readmitted to the CCB.

Are you still teaching School?####