PDA

View Full Version : Steve Tipton Retiring

Nostroke
10-12-2004, 07:14 AM
Steve has done a great job. In fact when he was running the whole show (not just the tournament) i think the WPBA was a much better operation. They cant even get souvenirs to the events anymore.

Seems like he had a pretty good gig but w 7 kids, maybe he needed more. Anyone have the real answer?

Tom_In_Cincy
10-12-2004, 08:40 AM
Nostroke

Did Steve Tipton announce his retirement? or did you hear it from someone else?

I've known Steve and his wife Pat from my old Memphis days.

9 Ball Girl
10-12-2004, 08:48 AM
Is anyone in line for that position? Just wondering.

Nostroke
10-12-2004, 09:10 AM
I heard him say he was retiring-At the players meeting (I wasnt there) he gave more details but from what i hear-not that specific.

He had 2 guys helping him run the tournament whom he was training. They have a long way to go if they are to fill his shoes. It was apparent that they were not familiar with Women's Pool, announcing or perhaps even pool at all. One of them did not sound too bright either IMHO but I hope I am misjudging that.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-12-2004, 09:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> Is anyone in line for that position? Just wondering. <hr /></blockquote>

Scott Smith would be a good choice.

Trouble is some of the men's and women's events happen on the same weekend.

I nominate CCBers Eric or JMDinVA /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Eric.
10-12-2004, 09:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>
I nominate CCBers Eric or JMDinVA /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks for the vote, Wal. I'm not sure the WPBA wants my style. I'm better suited for a Roast(the non PG version) /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Eric

9 Ball Girl
10-12-2004, 10:48 AM
Nah, I'd rather have Scott Smith stay with the men. I don't like the idea of a crossover if you will. Maybe Jean Balukas can fill Scott's shoes. She knows the game, knows the girls, and she practically goes to the tourneys with Gerda so why not? JMO Silly as it may be...I always think about baseball and how they have coaches who were once players themselves so why not in pool?

Tom_In_Cincy
10-12-2004, 12:18 PM
Wally,

I think it should be Mitch, anything to get him out of the booth

Wally_in_Cincy
10-12-2004, 12:51 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Wally,

I think it should be Mitch, anything to get him out of the booth <hr /></blockquote>

Mitch would probably make a competent emcee. Tournament Director might be a bit out of his league /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I would recommend Grady but he would spend too much time flirting with the players /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Photoguy
10-13-2004, 11:20 AM
Scott Smith might have the knowledge of the game, running tournaments and know the players, but he has the worst image. For pool to advance on television which is where the money will eventually come from, a professional announcer, who doesn't look, sound and act like they work for Tony Soprano is what pool needs. I cringe everytime I watch a U.S. Open telecast. . . Fagidaboutit . . .

Deeman2
10-13-2004, 11:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Photoguy:</font><hr> Scott Smith might have the knowledge of the game, running tournaments and know the players, but he has the worst image. For pool to advance on television which is where the money will eventually come from, a professional announcer, who doesn't look, sound and act like they work for Tony Soprano is what pool needs. I cringe everytime I watch a U.S. Open telecast. . . Fagidaboutit . . . <hr /></blockquote>

Photoguy,

I don't think Scott does such a bad job. I don't think the referee is the problem with professional tournament pool. Putting a smooth talking Southern Califonian in won't change the demographics one bit. Besides, I haven't seen their accents hurt any of The Soprano's cast recently.

Deeman

Ives
10-13-2004, 12:24 PM
As a newbie, im a little confused. Steve Tipton is the referee for most of the tv tournaments right. But the only one ive seen announcing anything is Mitch Laurance and a female co announcer ( ewa, dawn, sometimes jeannette ).
Steve doesn't have anything to do with announcing tv tournaments, does he ?

Tom_In_Cincy
10-13-2004, 12:36 PM
You are correct Ives.
Steve Tipton is the crowd/spectator emcee. He is the one that works the crowd and makes the introductions prior to matches.
Steve is also the Tournament Director and referee, he makes sure all the top 16 players are seeded accordingly.

For TV, I doubt that it would take a highly experienced TD/ref to work for the WPBA. Besides, I am sure that Steve would recommend one of his assistants if he is indeed retiring.

Tom_In_Cincy
10-13-2004, 12:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>
Photoguy,

Putting a smooth talking Southern Califonian in won't change the demographics one bit.
Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

DeeMan.. Scott currently resides in Arizona. If he's originally from SoCal, that is news to me.

Deeman2
10-13-2004, 12:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>
Photoguy,

Putting a smooth talking Southern Califonian in won't change the demographics one bit.

DeeMan.. Scott currently resides in Arizona. If he's originally from SoCal, that is news to me. <hr /></blockquote>

Tom,

No, I know he's not from Cali but I was reponding to Photoguy who did not like his Soprano (Tony, not pitch) voice or accent, mannerisms, etc.. I was just saying that a smooth sounding voice, from Cali or anywhere was not what is wrong with Men's Professional Pool. That Scott's accent was not the problem.

Deeman

so misunderstood /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

JMD in VA
10-13-2004, 08:12 PM
Thanks Wally. I dont think I am ready for the WPBA! I don't think they are ready for me either! "There's pool being played!"

JMD in VA
Preparing myself for the job of a lifetime!

Photoguy
10-14-2004, 12:46 AM
Photoguy,

I don't think Scott does such a bad job. I don't think the referee is the problem with professional tournament pool. Putting a smooth talking Southern Califonian in won't change the demographics one bit. Besides, I haven't seen their accents hurt any of The Soprano's cast recently.

Deeman,

Of course the Sopranos cast accents have not hurt them, they are playing mob characters . . .that is fiction and they are supposed to sound like that stereotype.

There is a reason the officials in all of the major sports on T.V. are more polished than Scott Smith. Not least of which is that the networks demand it. You may find it charming to listen and look at a guy like that, but I guarantee you that the mass audience (which is who you want to appeal to for the sport to advance) doesn't.

I realize that "Reality TV" has lowered our standards and most people think that just because a camera is now pointed at them, that they are something special - it just isn't the case. Especially with S.S. He might be a great guy and everyone in the pool industry knows him, but he is not a broadcasting talent . . .

buddha162
10-14-2004, 04:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Photoguy:</font><hr>
You may find it charming to listen and look at a guy like that, but I guarantee you that the mass audience (which is who you want to appeal to for the sport to advance) doesn't.
<hr /></blockquote>

You assume that people---the "mass audience"---are as judgemental as you are, and I can gaurantee you that most viewers couldn't give a rats ass what the ref looks or sounds like.

-Roger

Deeman2
10-14-2004, 06:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Photoguy:</font><hr> Photoguy,

Deeman,

Of course the Sopranos cast accents have not hurt them, they are playing mob characters . . .that is fiction and they are supposed to sound like that stereotype.

There is a reason the officials in all of the major sports on T.V. are more polished than Scott Smith. Not least of which is that the networks demand it. You may find it charming to listen and look at a guy like that, but I guarantee you that the mass audience (which is who you want to appeal to for the sport to advance) doesn't.

I realize that "Reality TV" has lowered our standards and most people think that just because a camera is now pointed at them, that they are something special - it just isn't the case. Especially with S.S. He might be a great guy and everyone in the pool industry knows him, but he is not a broadcasting talent . . . <hr /></blockquote>

Scott is on air, in voice for, perhaps, 30 seconds during a broadcast. He does not impact the masses of people we all know are waiting /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif for some great voice to fill that 30 seconds. Pool is not held back from becoming a major sport because of Scott's elocution, timing, accent or delivery. To think that is a major underestimation of the task at hand and a severe overestimation of where the sport is in terms of product presentation. Professional "Grappling" Wrestling became very profitable and successful with a bunch of guys who sound like complete idiots. It's the base popularity and viewability of the sport, not some small issue like this you are trying to lay at Scott's feet. In that matter, was Don Merideth polished and smooth? John Madden? Give me a break.

I do agree some better packaging would help pool. However, the best packaged, most successful I have seen, Matchroom Sports; has Sid Waddel, a literal cockney idiot and it only helps draw large audiences.

You can have your beliefs, but don't fault something as petty as Scott's voice and manner as the linchpin to pool success. It's simply not fair to pool nor to Scott.

Deeman

pro9dg
10-14-2004, 08:30 AM
Deeman
Sid Waddell would no doubt allow himself a wry smile at your description 'cockney idiot'. A Cockney is an East Londoner 'born within the sound of the Bow Bells' but Sid hails from the North East of England. That is akin to naming a New Yorker a redneck.
Have you got a University Degree? Well Sid has one, some idiot! Listen to his one liners and you will detect his standard of education.

Deeman2
10-14-2004, 09:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pro9dg:</font><hr> Deeman
Sid Waddell would no doubt allow himself a wry smile at your description 'cockney idiot'. A Cockney is an East Londoner 'born within the sound of the Bow Bells' but Sid hails from the North East of England. That is akin to naming a New Yorker a redneck.
Have you got a University Degree? Well Sid has one, some idiot! Listen to his one liners and you will detect his standard of education. <hr /></blockquote>

I do believe Sid has a degree and is, indeed, very smart. However, for this point of discussion, while he is a brilliant personality, his manner is certainly not a normal professional delivery that I think was the point being made.
You are perfectly right in that I can't distinguish a Cockney, from a Soucer, from a New Castle twill or twit. I listened to Sid for fifteen years in Europe and I love his wit and comments. If you don't see the difference in sounding like an idiot when you are brilliantly playing the audience as Sid does, and the dull, midwestern commentary (30 seconds of introductions) that some think should replace a Scott Smith, you don't understand the severe hurt you cause to rednecks everywhere when comapring them to New Yorkers. Just kidding, lighten up...You sound like I don't like Sid! I know he told me he never prepares for his commentary, that takes a mind most of us would love to have. I LIKE SID....

I do have a couple of degrees but one was awarded in the U.S so it does not count as much as an English degree. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Someone can take a poll. If we replaced Scott Smith with Dan Rather, Charlie Gibson, Pope John Paul II, would you see an increase in pool viewership? "and ina thisa corner, Kida Deliciousa." I don't know!

Deeman
even "Interesting" Steve sounds Cockney to me.....

Nostroke
10-14-2004, 11:58 AM
Hey Doug- Didnt know you posted over here. Is the WPC back in Cardiff in 05 for sure? I hope so. I want to get back there- i like that town .

davey gravy