PDA

View Full Version : 14.1 Straight Pool

trailboss
10-12-2004, 11:58 AM
I am starting to really like this game! Please remember I am an absolute Newbie at it. I do have a rulebook. The Q I have is what if the cueball or last ball on the table is in the racking zone??? I just don't know what to do here. I keep reading the rule book but it dosen't cover this contingentcy.

bsmutz
10-12-2004, 12:05 PM
Most rules that I have seen have a chart at the bottom showing what to do with the balls left at the end of a rack. If the object ball is in the racking area (rack of balls can't be placed without moving the ball) then it goes in the rack with the rest. If the cue ball is there, it goes behind the head string. Note that if the object ball is in the way of the rack but wouldn't have to be moved on account of the balls, then you would move it temporarily until you rack, then replace it where it was.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-12-2004, 12:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trailboss:</font><hr> I am starting to really like this game!

<font color="blue">It's my favorite </font color>

Please remember I am an absolute Newbie at it. I do have a rulebook. The Q I have is what if the cueball

<font color="blue">if the cb is in the rack you get BIH behind the headstring. this is actually a good strategy to employ if you think about it. </font color>

or last ball on the table is in the racking zone???

<font color="blue">if the last ball is in the rack it gets spotted on the head spot. this is a bad thing usually /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have seen some guys in that situation call safe and pocket the ball. it gets spotted in that scenario and your opponent will usually play a soft safe off the full rack. that's usually a bad thing too.

or you can pocket the ball and play safe off the rack. that's what i would do.
</font color>

I just don't know what to do here. I keep reading the rule book but it dosen't cover this contingentcy. <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">if the last ball is in the rack and the cb is blocking the head spot, the last ball goes on the center spot. </font color>

woody_968
10-12-2004, 02:41 PM
As far as the rules go check out THE BCA RULES (http://www.bca-pool.com/cgi/site/framegate.cgi?url=http://www.bca-pool.com/play/tournaments/rules/rls_gen.shtml&amp;cat=p) you will find a small table about half way down on the right that goes over all the positions that may come up.

It is by far one of the best games, and if you want to learn the game the best thing you can do is get a few books and Accustat tapes.

Books I would recommend are The Straight Pool Bible, and Play Your Best Straight Pool. I dont have the second one yet, but will order it soon do to several of the comments about it on this board.

nail
10-14-2004, 04:51 PM
trailboss:

I'm glad you're getting into 14.1. It's the easiest game for beginners to play, yet the hardest to master. I liken it to the game of chess. It's a thinking persons game. I'm totally addicted to it. Everyone that's been responding to your post is giving you good information. You will find the chart in the BCA rule book about the lay of the 15th ball and cue ball. I also agree that The Straight Pool Bible is an excellent book. It explains, in the simplest terms, how to extend your runs. It's written by one of the true masters of the game; Babe Cranfield. I also agree that you should try to see a video of professionals playing this game. You will get a better feel of how to play. You will rarely see anything hit hard, including break shots. Precision cue ball control is essential. If you become proficient in straight pool, you will find that it will help you with all the other games.....that is, if you ever go back! I hope you become as addicted as the rest of us. Please turn your friends onto this game. Good luck.

nail

Ives
10-15-2004, 10:08 AM
This has become my favorite game as well, though im really having a problem breaking up the racks hitting off the 15th ball. Before i start hitting balls in after the initial break, i decide on which ball i want to leave as the 15th ball for best position on the new rack. I can usually leave myself a decent shot but i jsut can't seem to create enough cueball speed after hitting the object ball to move the next rack around very much. Anyone have any advice /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Deeman2
10-15-2004, 10:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ives:</font><hr> This has become my favorite game as well, though im really having a problem breaking up the racks hitting off the 15th ball. Before i start hitting balls in after the initial break, i decide on which ball i want to leave as the 15th ball for best position on the new rack. I can usually leave myself a decent shot but i jsut can't seem to create enough cueball speed after hitting the object ball to move the next rack around very much. Anyone have any advice /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Just a little. Most people try to blast the pack in the center. It is much more effective to hit the balls at the top or bottom and gently dislodge a few. Don't just think of getting key ball position to make the ball and hit the rack but how you go into the rack and where the cue will go then. It's a great game and you will enjoy it very much.

Deeman

daviddjmp
10-15-2004, 12:20 PM
Straight Pool is what I grew up on, and what I practice. It is a fading game because TV audiences want more "action" like in 9Ball or 7Ball. The last US open for 14.1 was four years ago. Too bad. Anyway, it is a fabulous game and really tests all the basic fundamentals. One of the best learning tools I know of is the Jim Rempe Tape "How to Run a Rack in Straight Pool" He goes rack by rack and thinks out loud to explain every shot and the reason for it. You can get it at Accu-Stats, and it is also available at other online outlets-