PDA

View Full Version : Place in Chicago to buy a queue??

olgoat
10-12-2004, 08:52 PM
Hi all
I am new to the forum and although not new to pool, looking at my game would lead one to hope that I am. ;-) I am actually "trying" to play pool now (as opposed to brief encounters since I was 12) and wondered if anyone had a suggestion for a place in Chicago to find a fair deal and some decent advise on buying a good entry level cue.

I tried "cue and cushion" in the N/W suburbs and that was a waste. No advise or help and they were charging way over MSRP (60% at least) on the queues they had. No help at all.

I wouldn't know a "good hitting" cue from adam at this point and could use some advise from a reputable shop.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

trailboss
10-12-2004, 10:07 PM
I have been to shoppers paridise, that is my word for Chicago! Chicago has about anything you could want. I would call around and get prices because driving around there is a headache, its so huge! Check out the bazillion pawn shops also, you might get a great deal on a cue. As far as Hit or feel is concerned, it is a personal choice. I have cues in my small collection, some hit solid like Joss, some hit light like Cutec where you feel a little more vibration. This is hard to explain, so please try them out, eventually youll find one you like. As far as brands, Joss, Viking, Mcdermott, Fury, Cutec... all are pretty good cues. I have several buddies and each one likes a different cue. Trying to explain all this is difficult! Some swear by Shoen cues, I almost forgot that!

Chris Cass
10-13-2004, 04:17 AM
Try Dixie Billiards. I don't remember where they're located. I do know it's in the suburbs close to Chicago. They have a huge selection of cues and are reasonable. If your looking to buy a certain brand or manufacturer then, I suggest you find what cue you like and take a chance on line for a better price.

It helps to have a dealer near you so you can try the different kinds of cues. Most should hit the same and the extras of course will cost more. Like points or wraps.

In what price range did you have in mind? How often will you be playing? How will you store this cue when you do get it? I mean like the trunk or in the house.

Take care,

C.C.

Vagabond
10-13-2004, 04:39 AM
Hey Chris,
None of my cues have warped/damaged inspite I have been keeping them in the car trunk.Cheers
vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

olgoat
10-13-2004, 05:32 AM
I will try and locate Dixie Billiards. Thanks. I am looking at around $200 with a soft case. I will store it the house or office. I play in a hall so the queue will get disassembled and reassembled on a regular basis. I am trying to get to the hall about 4 times a week for an hour a day to practice.

I noticed that on the lower end McDermott cues, the shaft is just threaded wood, no metal insert. I do some woodworking and that didn't look like a good idea to me. Does it make for a better hit than a shaft with a metal threaded insert?

Thanks for the comments.
Tim

Wally_in_Cincy
10-13-2004, 06:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote olgoat:</font><hr>

...I noticed that on the lower end McDermott cues, the shaft is just threaded wood, no metal insert.

<font color="blue">Probably on the higher-end cues also </font color>

I do some woodworking and that didn't look like a good idea to me.

<font color="blue">It's not a problem. I have had mine for 5 years and a thousand unscrewings and it's still like new. Many cuemakers use the same or similar methods.

BTW, It's a 3/8-10 thread. </font color>

Does it make for a better hit than a shaft with a metal threaded insert?

<font color="blue">I think it does. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Sid_Vicious
10-13-2004, 06:49 AM
"Does it make for a better hit than a shaft with a metal threaded insert?

I think it does"

I think so too, but was just the same when I first saw the wood threads, worried. I believe the theory is that the closer you get to a pure wood-wood connection, the more true to the hit of a one piece, and the one piece hits best. My favorite custom has wooden threads and I love it. There are some cues made not only with wooden threads but a wooden bolt as well, just for the purpose mentioned. I wouldn't particularly shop for any thread type on purpose, hit with some and see what feels good first. Btw you can get harder, tube style cases on-line for nice prices, so if you are going to be out and about 4 nights of the week, you might think about trading up from your soft case...sid~~~no idea about Chicago

dmgwalsh
10-13-2004, 07:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote olgoat:</font><hr> I will try and locate Dixie Billiards.

Dixie Billiards
15407 S Cicero Ave.
P.O. Box 137
Oak Forest, IL 60452
PH: (708) 687-0144
Fax: (708) 687-9489

I went there a year and a half ago and they let me hit with a bunch of cues without chalk of course. I ended up buying the cue, a Viking, elsewhere, actually through dooziexx who posts on this board and gets good prices. I also bought a used Viking off ebay for $125 with a case.

Since that time, I've picked up a Widowmaker, a Bludworth and a Blackheart.

Thanks. I am looking at around $200 with a soft case. I will store it the house or office. I play in a hall so the queue will get disassembled and reassembled on a regular basis. I am trying to get to the hall about 4 times a week for an hour a day to practice.
Tim <hr /></blockquote>

Where abouts do you work/live?
What pool hall are you going to?

Dennis

dooziexx
10-13-2004, 07:59 AM
Hi Tim,
I live in Aurora, Il about 40 miles west of Chicago and I deal with cues, custom and production and I can give you good prices on cues. Email me at dooziexx@yahoo.com or you can visit my website at www.erikleecues.com. (http://www.erikleecues.com.) Or you can call me. My numbers are on my site. Cues that I dont carry, I can easily order them.
Thanks.
-Erik

JimS
10-13-2004, 09:48 AM
Unless you want only the most basic type cue I think you'll want to be prepared to spend more than you've allotted. I think you'll want to revise your cue and case allottment to about the $300 to $500 range. You'll find some really nice production cues in that catagory and a good hard case.

Or....here's an idea for you. I have a Lucasi soft case (about $40) and I got some tubes that are used in hard cases and put them in the soft case. Much lighter weight than a usual hard case and more pockets too. Not quite the level of protection of a hard case but only about $55 total.

Contact onepocketchump over at azbilliards.com for the tubes.

My daughters and their families live in Carol Spring, West Chicago and Batavia. How close are any of you to Butterfield and Farnsworth? My step daughter lives just a block east from that corner on Savanna. Anybody close to that spot or maybe County Farm and Lies Rd or the corner of Rt's 64 &amp; 59...where my other daughters live? If so lets pm each other and trade phone numbers. I'd love to have a friend to shoot some pool with on occasion, when I come up to spend the weekend with the grandkids and have a few hours to kill while they're doing something else.

Chris Cass
10-13-2004, 09:51 AM
Hi Vegabond,

That's because they're fishing poles. You've been buying cues from the wrong department of the store. hahahahaha

Regards,

C.C.~~one day I'll meet the most elusive member of my pool dectective agency. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
10-13-2004, 10:00 AM
Hi O,

I've shot with a threaded wood joint or wood to wood persay all my life till I got the SS Szamboti cue. It's not weak or unstable as you might think. The hit is softer than a SS joint and will give you more of a feedback to your back hand. Apples and Oranges.

Take and buy a cue for the $200. I'll send you a case for nothing. Just send me your snail mail address through the PM section of the board. Click on my name and you can do email too.

For the case, alls I want is for you to spell "CUE" and never say "FELT". hahahahha It's cloth.

Regards,

C.C.~~paying it forward.

Steve_McDCue
10-14-2004, 05:59 AM
At McDermott, we lean heavily on the 3/8 10 wood to wood joint. Why? Because the hardrock maple threads are tougher than brass. You will strip out/wear out a brass insert well before a hardrock maple.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-14-2004, 06:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve_McDCue:</font><hr> At McDermott, we lean heavily on the 3/8 10 wood to wood joint. Why? Because the hardrock maple threads are tougher than brass. You will strip out/wear out a brass insert well before a hardrock maple. <hr /></blockquote>

Steve,

Do you know why the Prestige II cues were made with a quick-release joint rather than the tried-and-true 3/8-10?

Wally &lt;~~ owns one, sort of

BLACKHEART
10-14-2004, 07:50 AM
Steve, I've sent you a private message, about a Mcdermott problem(go to "MY HOME" at the top of the page). Thanks...JER

Steve_McDCue
10-14-2004, 09:27 AM
Places to play in Chicago:
Chris's Billiards
4637 N Milwaukee Avenue
773-286-4714

Our quick release pin has much finer threads. The hardrock maple can only hold it's properties with a 3/8 10 thread...but not on a quick release thread pattern.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-14-2004, 09:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve_McDCue:</font><hr> Our quick release pin has much finer threads. The hardrock maple can only hold it's properties with a 3/8 10 thread...but not on a quick release thread pattern. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks but that's not what I asked. I know you can't screw a 3/16-24 machine thread into wood (or whatever the quik-release thread is)

Let me try again

Do you know why the Prestige II cues were made with a quick-release joint rather than the 3/8-10?

not that it really matters that much. i was just curious.

ras314
10-14-2004, 10:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> .....alls I want is for you to spell "CUE" ......
<hr /></blockquote>

Maybe he is using one of those talk and type systems? If so I want one too, aqnything spells better than me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Cass
10-14-2004, 11:13 AM
Hi Steve,

I used a McDermott cue for 8 yrs and never had a shaft thread strip out and although they can become somewhat loose a drop of car wax will fix it in a minute. I love the feel of the wood to wood joint.

I also happen to know Jim McDermott personally as my wife and I met him on our honeymoon. Yes, that was at a pool tourney at Pheseant Run and we pool players like to homeymoon at places like that. lol

I know Jim had retired and soon after the son sold the company. I;ve noticed some really nice changes in design and other things available to the public now. I'm curious who owns the company now.

Anyway, my buddy old time road dawg Lil Joe Vilapondo used to drive up to Minifalls(sp), WI. just to have his tips put on. Now I hear that you won't do something like that anymore. If this is true I'd like to tell you that it's a very important thing to do for us pool players.

We that are diehards can't stand being without our cues for more than a day. If at all that long. It would do you well to keep the McDermott tradition, to the player as well as keeping the name.

I expect nothing but good to come of the company and it's fine production cues. I bought my wife a D-19 many yrs ago and it's almost perfect. I'll be sending you a check soon for a new shaft for her. It's about 13 yrs old now but it's got like under 1000 games invested.

The 3 shafts thing that's new really made me smile. Keep up the good work with the marketing and please remember us little guys like to go sometimes out of our way for personal attention.

Regards,

C.C.

Steve_McDCue
10-14-2004, 12:24 PM
Thanks for the message Chris, always nice to hear. Printed and posted in the lunchroom for all to read /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif (Menomonee Falls)

Jayme, our Customer Service Expert (good a title as any) takes walk'ins everyday for new tips, shaft cleanings, re-wraps, you name it. Tips, specifically, means we'll have to keep the shaft overnight so the glue can dry and we can turn it down though. But the same guy (Jeff) that does the walk-in repairs, does ALL our repairs. He's been at it 15+ yrs.

Regarding Prestige II and QR joint selection. Mainly for looks...as all 4 (3 right now, but eventually 4) of our Prestige cues will have our QR joint. Some cues, higher end ones especially, just look right with a stainless steel collar / joint. Any cue can be ordered with the 3/8 10 wood to wood though.

Wally_in_Cincy
10-14-2004, 12:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Steve_McDCue:</font><hr> ...Regarding Prestige II and QR joint selection. Mainly for looks...as all 4 (3 right now, but eventually 4) of our Prestige cues will have our QR joint. Some cues, higher end ones especially, just look right with a stainless steel collar / joint. Any cue can be ordered with the 3/8 10 wood to wood though. <hr /></blockquote>

Thanks. That's info worth knowing.

BTW I talked to Jayme the other day. He was very helpful.

Keep up the good work.

steffi
10-20-2004, 07:11 PM
City Pool Hall also sells Entry Level cues. I wouldn't say they have a large selection but they look ok to me. I've not been to many other clubs in Chicago to know what others stock.