PDA

View Full Version : Michael Moore must be wondering why a Canadian

Cueless Joey
10-14-2004, 08:36 AM
would do this.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=840&e=10&u=/nm/canada_people_carrey_col

hondo
10-14-2004, 11:10 AM
On the contrary, just because MM doesn't love bush
doesn't mean he doesn't love his country. God
bless the Constitution and the United States of
America.

Ross
10-14-2004, 11:12 AM
Why would he be wondering about this?

Wally_in_Cincy
10-14-2004, 11:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote hondo:</font><hr> On the contrary, just because MM doesn't love bush
doesn't mean he doesn't love his country. .... <hr /></blockquote>

I'm pretty sure MM does not love America, judging by some of his statements when speaking overseas.

highsea
10-14-2004, 11:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>I'm pretty sure MM does not love America, judging by some of his statements when speaking overseas. <hr /></blockquote>He loves certain parts Wally, like the little green folding ones that say "Federal Reserve Note" on the front, and "In God We Trust" on the back.

Ross
10-14-2004, 01:43 PM
This argument is reminiscent of Vietnam protest days. Why does criticizing government actions that you disagree with mean you hate your country? Hating the choices your government takes is not the same as hating your country.

When some conservatives relentlessly criticize Dem administrations I don't conclude they hate the US. I just take it for what it is - they are expressing their strong opinion that the government is taking a wrong path.

To beat this dead horse even further: Many conservatives hated Clinton. Many liberals hate Bush. Both groups sometimes say a lot of angry things. Doesn't make either side un-American, IMO. The worst countries in the world are the ones that suppress dissent. Self-criticism by a country's citizens makes it stronger - not weaker.

Fair_Play
10-14-2004, 04:52 PM
Ross,

Hear Hear!

'My country, right or wrong.' what an idiotic phrase!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

There is a phrase that would have stopped the Boston Tea Party before it even began.

Take Care,

Fair Play

Ross
10-14-2004, 08:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fair_Play:</font><hr> Ross,

Hear Hear!

'My country, right or wrong.' what an idiotic phrase!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

There is a phrase that would have stopped the Boston Tea Party before it even began.

Take Care,

Fair Play <hr /></blockquote>

Excellent point, FP.

Fair_Play
10-14-2004, 09:27 PM
Ross, yours is a far better one.

Quote Ross: [ QUOTE ]
Hating the choices your government takes is not the same
as hating your country.
<hr /></blockquote>

The nice thing about our government, IMO, is that we, the people, choose our leaders. Perhaps it might be considered that when we disagree strongly with our government, we become quite emotional due to the fact that in essence, we are disagreeing with our own choices... or our failute to become involved and then it becomes far easier to blame this politician, or that party.. when in many instances WE have not been at all involved in the political process. It is quite sad that the voter turnout is embarassingly low.. in my own case, the majority of my political education is through the newspapers, talk radio, and television. AND my choice of media is based upon my comfort level, not on any real search for knowledge.. at the same time, I do not vote a party line. If I had a choice? Libertarian.. however, our country does not seem ready to move to a three (or more) party system.

I would like to see programs such as the Works Progress Administration for public works, equal education opportunities in which schools were funded equally rather than having 'rich' schools and 'poor' schools. There are many many more areas that, IMO, could improve our nation with little cost.. the drift of what I am saying is that it may be counter-productive to be inflexible in choice of party.. Pardon the ramble, Ross, but I get freaking PO'd to the bone when our politicians are looking more for a feathered nest than they are for simple solutions to readily apparent problems!!!!

All the very best to you and to yours, and thanks for your considered and reasonable tone, refreshing indeed.

Fair Play