PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Pool

02-20-2002, 10:00 AM
I was watching the olympics the other night and the curling competition came up. As I was watching I noticed similairties to pool and wondered why this game was in the winter olympics and why some form of billiards or pool or something, is not in the summer. Anyone have any info on this?

02-20-2002, 10:16 AM
I believe curling became an official winter event in 1992. It was featured as a demonstration event in the 1988 Calgary Olympics. As for pool & billiards it will make its Olympic debut, as a demostration event, in the summer of 2004. I believe the featured games will be snooker, 9-ball, & 3-cushion billiards if I'm not mistaken.

cuechick
02-20-2002, 10:39 AM
Where will the 2004 Olympics be held?

02-20-2002, 11:07 AM
> I noticed similairties to pool and wondered
> why this game was in the winter olympics

I'll go out on a limb and say that curling is a WINTER olympic event because it involves sliding a polished stone down a slab of ice. I don't recall seeing a slab of ice during the 2000 Sydney summer olympics.

> and why some form of billiards or pool
> or something, is not in the summer. Anyone
> have any info on this?

Probably b/c the committee knows that the Philipines would win EVERY SINGLE EVENT. Two things in this world you DON'T do: (1) Give Efren a reason to win, and (2) microwave something wrapped in tin foil.

02-20-2002, 11:21 AM
cuechick ...the 2004 Olympic Summer Games will be held in Athens, Greece. 2006 Olympic Winter Games will be in Torino, Italy.

02-20-2002, 12:21 PM
Pool in the Olympic Games has been discussed extensively in rec.sport.billiard, and a little time with google at

http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search

with the search "WCBS USCBS" in that group will get you a lot of info -- more than I can type in here. Briefly:

The Athens Games (2004) appears to be in some difficulty and the IOC had declared that there should be no additional events attempted. Cue sports were on the short list of possible additions earlier, but lost out to a sailing event or some such. You should be able to find out more with a general google search.

Cue sports were in the World Games for the first time last year (Akita, Japan), and you should be able to find some info in past issues of Billiards Digest. If you don't subscribe already, now's the time. Jeanette Lee won the Women's Nine Ball event. Sanchez of Spain won the 3-C.
Ching-Shun Yang won Men's nine ball. Haneveer of Belgium won the snooker. See

http://www.pref.akita.jp/tiiki/wg2001/result_/eng/index.html

for the results. The World Games are considered a stepping stone towards the Olympic Games for those sports not already there

The 2008 games will be in Beijing, China. A lot of cue sports are played in China, and there is a good chance that pool/carom/snooker will be considered as a new sport.

Bob Jewett

02-20-2002, 01:10 PM
Bob thanks for links... The World Games site was interesting. I'm surprised and glad to hear that pool/billiards was (is) actually an official sport in those games. However, there are a lot of other interesting Official Sports events ...Casting, DanceSports, Flying Discs, Korfball, Tug of War??

Scott Lee
02-20-2002, 04:59 PM
The 2004 Summer Olympics will be held in Athens, Greece. The next scheduled Summer Games will be in Beijing, China in 2008. Pool is certain to be included by that time, if for no other reason than the growing popularity of the sport all across Asia!

Scott Lee

02-20-2002, 06:01 PM
I was just saying if they let something wierd like curling in the olympics, why they don't let pool. It is in international sport and it has been played for a long time. I think it would also be more interesting if they only allowed ameuters too.

Also who cares who wins anyways, US wins every single basketball competition. Thats all.

02-20-2002, 08:34 PM
>I was just saying if they let something wierd like curling in the olympics, why they don't let pool. >It is in international sport and it has been played for a long time. I think it would also be more >interesting if they only allowed ameuters too.

I just have to come to defense of curling. Curling is not anymore weird than billiards, chess or hockey. What it is, is a game that takes a tremendous amount of strategy plus execution when needed. It is also played in many countries and has been around for hundreds of years. Also, every team that is curling in the Olympics are amateurs, they all work regular jobs and have to fit curling in around other parts of their life. I suggest that you give a sport a chance before you start knocking it.

>Also who cares who wins anyways, US wins every single basketball competition. Thats all.

Correct, currently the U.S. wins all the basketball games, but that is bound to change, upsets happen in every sport. Just a few hours ago Belarus, a team that had to qualify for the Olympics with very few NHL players, beat hockey powerhouse Sweden. I think it is safe to assume that they care who won.

That is all.

Stauber
-------

02-22-2002, 04:30 PM
The fact that Athens is having trouble comes as NO suprise. I was there in '97(?). At that time Athens was making a push to bring the 2000 games there. We found that very humorous. Only problem was Greece feels like you're in a "third world" country. Nothing modern whatsoever, and a dirty cesspool to boot. Couldn't wait to hit the islands after choaking on smog at the Acropolis. Haven't been there since, so maybe they're in better shape, but I doubt that. BTW, I don't remember seeing a single pool table...

Tim