PDA

View Full Version : Pool Book (Fiction)

AstoriaPoolGuy
10-14-2004, 01:52 PM
People often ask about works of fiction regarding pool. One book that I have never seen mentioned is "Billy Phelan's Greatest Game," by William Kennedy. The copy I have features a pool player (presumably Billy Phelan) shooting a behind the rack break shot in straight pool.

Keith Talent
10-14-2004, 03:13 PM
So, how do you rate the sections on pool? I just read an excerpt on Amazon that focused on one of Phelan's other games, bowling, zzzzzz.

But Kennedy's a writer I've long been meaning to read, "Ironweed" in particular, which was made into a great little movie. My younger bro, who's gone on to become an English prof, was always a fan of Kennedy.

Considering this book is part of Kennedy's well-regarded "Albany Trilogy," maybe local expert CB1950 will have an opinion.

AstoriaPoolGuy
10-15-2004, 09:25 AM
Actually, I haven't read the book yet. I have skimmed through it for the pool scenes, and recall reading at one point that Billy ran a 28 in a match and then played a crisp safety. Very nice. There seem to be a lot of colorful characters in the book.

Do you know if Kennedy played ?

Let's hear from the local expert.

#### leonard
10-15-2004, 11:57 AM
Keith IronWeed was made in the Troy area with most of the scenes in Troy. Troys nickname is Hollywood on the Hudson. Scent off a Woman was made here with Al Pacino and the Bostonian with Christopher Reeves.

Two Academy Award winning actresses graduated from Troy high schools. You'll have to guess their names.

When they were filming an evening scene I took my two younger daughters to watch the goings on. I wore a woolen outer shirt and a hat and when the Director walked by me he did a double take. It wasn't till I saw the movie did I understand the reason. I was wearing almost the identical outfit that Jack Nickelson wore in the movie and I could have been his double,LOL.

Kennedy name has disappeared from this area. He did live in Averill Park and teach at The University at Albany but I am lost for his whereabouts. ####

#### leonard
10-15-2004, 12:02 PM
Keith he was listed in the telephone directory, William Kennedy Averill Park,Ny. If your brother wanted to contact him I heard he was approachable.####

Wally_in_Cincy
10-15-2004, 12:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr>

...Two Academy Award winning actresses graduated from Troy high schools. You'll have to guess their names....

<hr /></blockquote>

Helen of Troy and Troy Donahue? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Keith Talent
10-15-2004, 03:49 PM
####,
Hollywood on the Hudson ... just 150 miles north of Gitmo on the Hudson! Less glamorously, I see Troy also holds the all-time high temperature record for New York State -- 108.

Enjoyed tale of "Ironweed" filming, Nicholson was fantastic in that, and I liked Tom Waits in there, too ... apparently Kennedy was working on a film of "Billy Phelan" some years back, according to an interview I found on Web.

Was going to suggest maybe he'd moved to the Catskills, considering that his most recent book was "Roscoe." But it turns out that's the name of a guy in another story set in Albany ... or maybe Troy?

#### leonard
10-15-2004, 04:45 PM
Wally, George C. Scott and Walter Matthau considered Maureen Stapleton, Americas greatest Actress, she was one and Jane Fonda was the other actress to win Academy Awards.####