PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Archer Forfeits?

9 Ball Girl
10-15-2004, 07:02 AM
Why? Isn't he there?

Inside Pool (http://insidepool.com/)

Meanwhile, I see some surprises here:

AZB Brackets (http://azbilliards.com/2004upaatlanta/brackets.cfm)

Perk
10-15-2004, 07:21 AM
I noticed the same thing....Archer/Duel/Owen/Wiseman/Robles/Ashcraft All in the losers bracket already...Out of that bunch, who will make it the farthest? My pick is Gabe Owen.

9 Ball Girl
10-15-2004, 07:39 AM
I am sooooo rooting for Alan Rolon.

cuechick
10-15-2004, 07:41 AM
I did not know it was starting so early, I don't think I'll make it over there, I use to live 10 minutes from there now it is 90 mintutes. I have my own SEAL event this weekend or I would try...

Nostroke
10-15-2004, 08:47 AM
That's where Johnny lives for crying out loud. I think it used to be his home room too.

He is either very sick or he has a problem with that room. But I cant imagine Johnny having that type of problem with anyone so i am going to go with the Flu.

9 Ball Girl
10-15-2004, 02:09 PM
Well, he's definitely there since the AZ Brackets are showing him as winning his first loser's side match against Brandon Ashcraft.

AZB Story (http://azbilliards.com/)

Nostroke
10-15-2004, 02:14 PM
AZB is reporting that Johnny "arrived late" at Murphy's Brass Rail.

This is so lame -It is his hometown, he has been there three million times. Plus you get an additonal fifteen minutes past your match time to arrive. And he still can't make it??

In the past 20 years of the PGA tour which plays practically every other week, I dont think i have ever heard of a top thirty player not making his tee time. I think Trevino missed one once 25 years ago but there was a big story behind that one,

If Johnny doesnt have some kind of very very extenuating circumstances here, my image of him as standing above most of those players around him will sadly disappear.

1on1pooltourneys
10-15-2004, 03:57 PM
Actually Johnny's home town is Macon, Ga. Not Athens.

Nostroke
10-15-2004, 04:21 PM
Well im pretty sure he was born in Waycross but what i mean is the Greater Atlanta area is his current stomping ground. He couldnt have gotten lost. He is Housepro at The Pool Room in Marietta currently right?

cuechick
10-15-2004, 05:33 PM
Johnny lives in Marrietta which is about 90mintutes from Athens, since they played Thursday morning, it is highly concievable he got stuck in traffic...(if he wanted to get there at 10 to warm up for an 11 am match, he'r have to leave at 8:30...aka RUSH HOUR) he would have to drive through Atlanta to get to the turn off to Athens... traffic in Atlanta is terrible and I am sure that is what happened.

Nostroke
10-15-2004, 05:41 PM
Well i hear ya but he knew that just like you knew that. Rush hour traffic is not a real surprise. If that's his only excuse, it's not much of one.

cuechick
10-15-2004, 05:53 PM
Yeah, but it is just so unpredictable and if one thing unexpected happens it can back it up for hours and there is nothing you can do...The main road to Athens is just a two lane highway, so it does not take much to make it back up....either he just forgot about traffic since he may not be use to driving in it as most local tourneys happen on the weekends, or he ran into an accident...I just understand how it could happen even when you think you have allowed for plenty of time. I think his real mistake was not booking a room in Athens for the night before...oh well, I am sure no one was more frustrated than he.
I feel for him.

Nostroke
10-15-2004, 06:11 PM
Yea-Probably wanted to be with the family. But with the traffic that bad- just considering the mental stress aspect of it, the Motel was the better idea.

Im sure he is sick about it whatever the reason especially since he is one of the few with real sponsors.

I see Corey forfeited his second match-That's not a real surprise. He forfeited at a UPA event in VA when i was there also.

Did you get out there Lara?

Popcorn
10-15-2004, 06:21 PM
Players like Archer know people everywhere. He does not even need a hotel room probably, just stay with someone close to where you are playing. I don't like to play after driving and a 90 minute drive in morning traffic, who needs that. You have to give yourself the best shot to play. If it is a big enough tournament you want to be there the day before.

Nostroke
10-15-2004, 06:50 PM
Exactly-that's what i meant about the mental stress thing. Driving 90 minutes in bad traffic, sweating bullets on whether you are going to make it on time, That's anti-preparation. If the motels in Athens are anything like Marietta, they are the nuts. There is a great Suites Motel in Marietta with kitchen etc (Crestwood Suites?). It was $169 a week last time i was there!!!. I almost moved there, Its like a great brand new apartment with maid service every day for $800 a month!!I still might stay there a couple months this winter if things dont work out in Florida.

cuechick
10-16-2004, 04:56 AM
No, I didn't get to go but I am sure he just isn't use to driving in the traffic and wanted to sleep in his own bed. Normally on the weekends he he's make it down there with no problem...
I did not go, found out it is home coming weekend too, and just did not want to deal with all that ( Athens is also home to UGA)
I have to play today...

#### leonard
10-16-2004, 09:37 AM
Athens Georgia is where Steve Mizerak went to College if my memory serves me.####

Malice
10-16-2004, 09:52 AM
I missed an APA city tournament in 2003 because I slipped in my kitchen and broke my neck an hour before I was supposed to leave.

Chris Cass
10-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Don't know about that? Last time I knew he lived or was born in Metter, GA.

Wonder who's right?

C.C.

nhp
10-17-2004, 02:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> Well i hear ya but he knew that just like you knew that. Rush hour traffic is not a real surprise. If that's his only excuse, it's not much of one. <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah! Johnny is supposed to magically make his car fly over the other cars that he is stuck in traffic behind! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

RailbirdJAM
10-17-2004, 03:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Don't know about that? Last time I knew he lived or was born in Metter, GA.

Wonder who's right?<hr /></blockquote>

In 1989, Johnny Archer won Player of the Year honors on the Baxter Tour and was listed as hailing from Twin City, Georgia.

RailbirdJAM

Nostroke
10-17-2004, 06:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> Well i hear ya but he knew that just like you knew that. Rush hour traffic is not a real surprise. If that's his only excuse, it's not much of one. <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah! Johnny is supposed to magically make his car fly over the other cars that he is stuck in traffic behind! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Well that's just too bright and clever for me. Im at a loss for words.

Chris Cass
10-17-2004, 08:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote RailbirdJAM:</font><hr>
In 1989, Johnny Archer won Player of the Year honors on the Baxter Tour and was listed as hailing from Twin City, Georgia.
RailbirdJAM <hr /></blockquote>

Hi RailbirdJAM,

Good question for Johnny next time you see him. I think you'll see him before I will soon. Otherwise, I'd ask him myself. He could have been born in Metter and lived in Twin City?

I know my son was born in Downers Grove, IL. and we lived in Elmhurst, IL. at the time. Funny how we're willing to have our children in a hospital where we feel good about having them. I know as a kid myself. I was born in Chicago but moved atleast 5 times before moving out west. Heck, my Dad had so many jobs and all were unstable at the time. Gotta feed the 7 kids, you know.

Regards,

C.C.~~my regards to K.

Chris Cass
10-17-2004, 08:49 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHA

ROTFLMAO,

C.C.~~sometimes were so misuderstood. lol

nhp
10-17-2004, 11:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well that's just too bright and clever for me. Im at a loss for words. <hr /></blockquote>

My point is, don't judge someone unless you know the truth. Until you find out the reason why Johnny is late, don't bash him.

Rich R.
10-18-2004, 02:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> My point is, don't judge someone unless you know the truth. Until you find out the reason why Johnny is late, don't bash him. <hr /></blockquote>
Although Johnny may have a lot of good excuses for being late for the tournament, being stuck in traffic is not one of them.
Playing pool is his job and he is expected to be to his job, on time. I know, I can't tell my boss that I am late for work, because I was stuck in traffic and I don't think you could either. You are expected to make appropriate travel arrangements, to be to your job, on time. Johnny is no different.

nhp
10-18-2004, 03:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Although Johnny may have a lot of good excuses for being late for the tournament, being stuck in traffic is not one of them.
Playing pool is his job and he is expected to be to his job, on time. I know, I can't tell my boss that I am late for work, because I was stuck in traffic and I don't think you could either. You are expected to make appropriate travel arrangements, to be to your job, on time. Johnny is no different. <hr /></blockquote>

I think that's up to Johnny to decide whether it's his job or not. He has a section on AZbilliards, why don't you ask him yourself?

What if Johnny was driving to the tournament, and there was an accident right in front of him? What if tomorrow the headlines at the billiards websites all say that while driving on the way to the tournament, he noticed a woman in another car was having a baby, and he rushed to help her? What if ANYTHING. I'm sure if that were the case, you would feel slightly embarassed, wouldn't you? Once again, my point is, you should find out the whole story before you bash the guy, that way, it prevents anyone from putting their foot in their mouth.

RailbirdJAM
10-18-2004, 04:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr>I know my son was born in Downers Grove, IL. and we lived in Elmhurst, IL. at the time....<hr /></blockquote>

Chris, KM was born in Elmhurst and lived there as a young boy before his family moved to California.

Regarding the forfeits at the UPA Atlanta Open, although it is distressing for anybody to be forfeited for whatever reason, it does exemplify the fact that there certainly was no favoritism exhibited on the part of the tournament organizers (IMO). I am sure nobody felt worse about it than Johnny, Corey, and Tony. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

As an aside, I am also curious why Max Eberle and Dennis Hatch were listed on the player roster, but were both absent. Dennis won the Joss tourney in New York this same weekend, though.

I think that designated match times are the way to go for any tournament as opposed to players standing around and waiting, sometimes multiple hours, for the next available table, usually because there are not enough tables in the host pool room to accommodate the player roster.

In order to facilitate the smooth running of any tournament, it is paramount that matches run on schedule. I have witnessed some players waiting 5 and 6 hours for the brackets to play out in order for them to play their next match. When this happens, the player has no knowledge of how long the wait time will be, sometimes resulting in them being pretty cold when they get back up to bat.

I have also been to tournaments where "super-star players" were afforded designated match times and could rest up before their matches and arrive fresh, when all others were required to arrive at the venue early in the day and had to wait it out until their name is called.

We went to Richmond recently three times in one month for tournaments. Richmond is only a 2-hour-or-so drive from my home in D.C. Because of the nightmare traffic on I-95 in that region, never knowing when there will be a standstill, we arrived the night before the tournament and paid the extra monies for one night of lodging to assure getting there on time. One Friday afternoon, it took us 8 hours to get to Richmond from D.C. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I am not familiar with the traffic patterns in Atlanta, but if it's anything like I-95, I can completely understand how something like this could have happened. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

RailbirdJAM

Rich R.
10-18-2004, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> Once again, my point is, you should find out the whole story before you bash the guy, that way, it prevents anyone from putting their foot in their mouth. <hr /></blockquote>
I didn't "bash the guy."
If you read my post, I only said that being stuck in traffic is not an excuse for being late. I also said he could have a lot of good excuses, and the ones you sighted would be good.
As far as pool being Johnny's job, to my knowledge, Johnny has no non-pool related income, I think you would have to consider pool his job. I'm sure the IRS does.

Nostroke
10-18-2004, 07:43 AM
here is Johnny's self-entered Bio info from AZB where he hasnt posted since 9/8

Birthday:
November 12, 1968
Biography:
Married two years in August to Melanie. Johnny Lee Archer, Jr. born on March 5th, 2004. Born in Waycross, Ga. Grew up in Twin City.
Interests:
Golf

Eric.
10-18-2004, 09:11 AM
That sounds about right. I believe he was a History major. I used to hear all the "Steve stories" from the old man at the Poolhall in NJ.

Eric