PDA

View Full Version : Megan Smith is doing what?

Rip
05-16-2002, 05:06 PM
Yes, Megan Smith is getting married this Sunday in LV. Lots of single male pool players will be disappointed to hear this.
Sorry guys,
Rip

05-16-2002, 09:43 PM
Who is the lucky guy?

05-17-2002, 01:56 AM
thought she was a lesbian

05-17-2002, 10:10 AM
Really, would have never guessed it.

05-17-2002, 07:36 PM
Why is it that if a woman plays pool people automatically assume she's a lesbian? But it doesn't stop there. If a woman voices a strong opinion, she's a lesbian. If a woman disagrees with a man, she's a lesbian. Oh, and my all time FAVORITE; if a woman BEATS a man at pool, she's DEFINATELY a lesbian!! And while we're on the subject, why is being a lesbian used as an INSULT????!!!! Hey guys, we don't ask you if you jerk off when your wife/girlfriend won't give you sex, so please, knock it off with the lesbian crap. It's just not polite.
Lorri ( Not a lesbian, but certainly understands why it might be an attractive switch to make at times.)

Harold Acosta
05-18-2002, 11:54 AM
Lorry, the "lesbian crap or thing" with guys is not our fault. The Church and the human upbringings is to blame. We are taught since we are little human beings, that same sex couples are prohibited before the eyes of the church; therefore, it is also wrong before the society. If you are bought up with Christian values, homosexuals and lesbians are not seen as normal people, and since the Church condones it, we do too. Besides, sometimes their behaviour is just not right before the public eyes!

The "Lesbian and Gay thing" is being used for "political correctness" and not for what it really is...an abhoration!

In this society, and any other, we will always be divided amongst politics, race, and sexual preferences. This is not going to change. Some people elect to voice their opinions, others may not. So stop telling people what they should think!

We are in a free country....people can think or say whatever the hell they want; as far as we don't become abusive with our expressions!

Tom_In_Cincy
05-18-2002, 11:58 AM
Anon and the word BIGOT come to mind real quick....

rackmup
05-18-2002, 02:35 PM
Anonymous,

What gave you that impression? Did you see her with another woman in a "compromising" position? Was she on the lead float at a "Gay Pride" parade. I know...she was featured in some "coming out" article. Am I correct?

My guess is she (or any other countless number of women) have beaten you at every game you have ever played and in order for that to happen, she must have been a "lesbian" and not a better player, because, Lord knows, you could NEVER lose to a woman.

Regards,

Laura (Ken's wife, a woman, that can probably whip the uptight shorts off of "anonymous")

(Sorry guys...she was reading over my shoulder and got a little upset. I'll try to keep her from the keyboard in the future.)

MikeM
05-18-2002, 04:47 PM
So Harold, are you saying it is okay to call a woman a lesbian because she beat you at pool? Which church were you brought up in?

MM

Doctor_D
05-18-2002, 04:58 PM
Good evening:

Time for my 2 cents worth!

Love; when shared completely and in all its glory between two people, whether in a traditional relationship or a non traditional relationship, is something very special. Those of us outside the relationship, regardless of how hard we try to appreciate and/or understand the dynamics which are being shared and enjoyed, are never in a position to fully comprehend and/or appreciate the unity that has taken place. Love, and a loving relationship, makes us more complete and stronger in every sense of the word. Be happy for those who share a love, regardless of the nature of the relationship and/or our own biased views and opinions, because love which is true and genuine is a miraculous gift indeed.

Dr. D.

MikeM
05-18-2002, 05:16 PM
Hear, hear Dr. D!

MM

PS - I met Megan and her fiance (the lucky SOB!!!) at Valley Forge. Both are very nice people.

Gayle in MD
05-18-2002, 05:46 PM
Oh, how I wish we could ban you from this board. What a vicious, wreckless, thing to do. YOU THOUGHT???? If you THOUGHT, you wouldn't say such things about people, especially if you don't KNOW!!! Even if you knew, which you don't, what business is it of yours to discuss personal things about someone else on a public forum? Sex, religion, and politics are personal choices which we all enjoy making, thanks to the many who have struggled and also even given their lives for our freedom of choice. Unfortunately, people like you get to reap the benefits without understanding what has been so unselfishly, and courageously carved out for you. Also, God loves all his children, ALL,.... so any religion which condemns any group is not speaking for HIM. As I understand it, those who condemn sexual choices by others which do not match their own, are in fact, unsure of their own prefrence.
Gayle in Md,.... Thinks ANON is making it very hard for her to love him/her

Harold Acosta
05-18-2002, 05:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: MikeM:</font><hr> So Harold, are you saying it is okay to call a woman a lesbian because she beat you at pool? Which church were you brought up in?

MM <hr></blockquote>

Mike, could you keep this on the subject and refute my argument? You probably were bought up in a Gay Church, because as far as I know, all traditional churches condone gay/lesbian relationships.

By the way, I take any player seriously, and I am not a basher. I have pool-playing lesbian friends. They have my respect and they give me my place. What I have said, and I repeat, is that anyone could say or think whatever they want; some people keep it to themselves, others dont.

Just the plain facts, Jack!

MikeM
05-18-2002, 06:25 PM
Well Harold, thanks for not bashing me. I will assume that you are misusing the word condone, which means put up with, and really mean condemn. If you must know I was raised a Catholic. The Catholic church has always vigorously condemned homosexuality. Rather ironic wouldn't you say?

The subject I was keeping on was your response to Lorri. My take on her post was that she was fed up with women being called lesbian just because they are good at sports. If I am wrong I apologize. Lorri doesn't need me to defend her I was just trying to determine if your vitriolic reply was because she went on to say that she didn't think being called a lesbian was particularly offensive. I guess you calling me gay answers my question.

Just to further stir the pot, do you really mean to tell me that you respect your lesbian pool playing friends, yet you call them an abhoration? That doesn't add up.

MM

Rip
05-18-2002, 07:07 PM
Good grief. Can't we just be happy for a couple of young people for a few minutes?
Rip~~met the groom to be and HE seemed like a nice person. But then...what if he's actually an escaped serial killer and a master of disguise? Good grief!

stickman
05-18-2002, 07:34 PM
Congratulations and best wishes to the young couple.

Harold Acosta
05-18-2002, 08:16 PM
Mike this is a very touchy subject. Sometime people have mixed feelings about this. I am one of them. To abhor means to detest, and sometimes Gay/Lesbians have detestable behaviour. I'm not saying all of them do. Detestable behaviour is also true for others who are not lesbians/gays.

In addition, I'm not saying the traditional churches are right! You will find many Gays/Lesbians who are devoted christians and even Catholic, but then the Catholic upbringing tells you different, particularly that this is an abhoration. Based on this, I sometimes wonder why if the Catholic church comdems this behaviour, why are so many Lesbians/Gays Christians or Catholic?

But going back to the subject, No, I do not believe a women should be called a Lesbian because she is good at any sport; however, many of them were in the "old days". Nowadays, it is way different. Some males don't like to get whipped by a women, so sometimes they justify their loss with blurting out an abhoration themselves. Besides, Lorri was the one to bring this issue up, since the anonymous poster only said that he believed that Megan Smith was lesbian. As we all know, this person is entitled to his opinion.

Hope that in some way I have cleared for you my previous statements....

cueball1950
05-18-2002, 10:11 PM
well i feel i must answer this jerks note again. as i have several friends (both men and women) who are gay. i definately respect them on their choices and would not trade their friendship for all the straight friends in this world. We are all human beings and all are Gods children. i have played pool, had dinner and even slept at theirs homes. and i will say this about them. they all have solid relationships and are very successful professionals at their respective jobs. why the ccb admin does not chastise this person is beyond my comprehension. to let some moronic person(want to use stronger words,but decided to keep it clean)to keep posting on here is beyond me. we should all send emails to the ccb admin and express our feelings on this matter. CONGRATULATIONS TO MS SMITH AND HER FUTURE HUSBAND.........just a few rambling and random thoughts on the matter.............................mike

05-18-2002, 10:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Harold Acosta:</font><hr> Mike this is a very touchy subject. Sometime people have mixed feelings about this. I am one of them. Some males don't like to get whipped by a women, so sometimes they justify their loss with blurting out an abhoration themselves. <hr></blockquote>

well, for starters, i think the word is "abomination". as in. " if it's an abomination in the eyes of god then he's in trouble with himself 'cause he created it!"

(nobody is goin to like this one)...when i was a 16ish year old street punk on chicago's far north side, ridin our british bikes and trying to act tough enough to stop people from beating us up, someone clever suggested one night "hey! let's roll a fag." someone much more sensible suggested that we should thank those of that persuasion for every one of those was out of the competition for girls (priority one) and takin some more with him. better, he says, we should roll a dyke for they are "thinnin out the woods". unfortunately, back then, we did not know of any women whom we were pretty sure were gay who we could actually beat up. after a vote we mounted up and sallyedforth in the night in search of beer". plans a and b were abandoned.

my friend from the island clearly means no harm to anyone but is honest enough to admit that, being a man of his times, is conflicted on the morality. beyond the fun that this thread has generated, for my part, in these times, it ain't an issue, nor should it ever be again.

dan...who was the new guy that said we are all dull???

05-19-2002, 07:48 AM
Hey Harold,
Pay attention! I did not tell you or anyone else what to think! I would NEVER commit such an obsenity. My opinions are no better and no worse than anyone else's. What I said was that to insult someone using their sexual preferences is rude and wrong. As far as the church is concerned, organized religion has done more to foster hate and suffering in this world than anything else, except maybe Hitler. The Catholic church in particular is guilty of this hate-mongering. And before you make any assumptions, I was born and raised a Catholic. Think I'm wrong? Check out the UNBIASED info you'll find on Mother Theresa. She didn't work with the poor because of philanthropy, she did it to perpetuate poverty. She believed that having nothing, and living a life of suffering and sacrifice was the only way to adhere to God's teachings. I could go on and on about religion, but this is a pool forum. And think about this, some of the people on this forum that you like and support are gay. Do you really condone someone insulting them for their sexual orientation? Would you like them less if you knew they were gay? If it's not okay to call someone a fat pig, it's not okay to call someone a fag. If you know the teachings of the church are wrong, what does it mean when you hide behind them? And Harold, a lot of the teachings of the church are wrong. The Bible, specifically the Old Testament, is the word of God. The New Testament is the word of Man. Which do you believe? Sorry to go off like this, but this stuff REALLY pisses me off, and having my words misconstrued gets me going too.
Lorri - Agnostic Heterosexual

05-19-2002, 07:58 AM
By the way Harold, exactly what behavior is it you find abhorrent? Is it the kissing in public? Straight people kiss in public. Is it the cross-dressing? Not all cross-dressers are gay. If it's not okay for gays to behave in a manner that offends you, is it okay for straight folks to do it?
One last thought Harold, the "gay and lesbian thing" most certainly IS your fault, IF YOU PERPETUATE IT! The only time it is not your fault is when you spend your time refuting the idea that people are inferior just because they're gay. Hiding behind the Church, or social politics isn't going to cut it on this one.

05-19-2002, 08:06 AM
Congratulations Megan. I had heard of your impending nuptials from Paul R. and wish you all the luck and love in the world.

Harold Acosta
05-19-2002, 09:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Lorri:</font><hr> Hey Harold,
Pay attention! I did not tell you or anyone else what to think! I would NEVER commit such an obsenity. My opinions are no better and no worse than anyone else's. What I said was that to insult someone using their sexual preferences is rude and wrong. As far as the church is concerned, organized religion has done more to foster hate and suffering in this world than anything else, except maybe Hitler. The Catholic church in particular is guilty of this hate-mongering. And before you make any assumptions, I was born and raised a Catholic. Think I'm wrong? Check out the UNBIASED info you'll find on Mother Theresa. She didn't work with the poor because of philanthropy, she did it to perpetuate poverty. She believed that having nothing, and living a life of suffering and sacrifice was the only way to adhere to God's teachings. I could go on and on about religion, but this is a pool forum. And think about this, some of the people on this forum that you like and support are gay. Do you really condone someone insulting them for their sexual orientation? Would you like them less if you knew they were gay? If it's not okay to call someone a fat pig, it's not okay to call someone a fag. If you know the teachings of the church are wrong, what does it mean when you hide behind them? And Harold, a lot of the teachings of the church are wrong. The Bible, specifically the Old Testament, is the word of God. The New Testament is the word of Man. Which do you believe? Sorry to go off like this, but this stuff REALLY pisses me off, and having my words misconstrued gets me going too.
Lorri - Agnostic Heterosexual <hr></blockquote>

Lorri, we could go on and on with this subject but the best thing we could do is let it go, if you want. However, people are entitled to their opinions, right or wrong, and that is what I am defending. We should not try to be politically correct everytime a touchy subject comes up. Life is unfair and we just plain have to deal with it!

rackmup
05-19-2002, 09:15 AM
friend n. close personal companion friendship n.

I cannot find reference to the color, religious beliefs or sexual preference of people in the above listed definition of "friend." I (and I speak for myself) do not tell my wife, for instance, "Honey...I'm going to play pool with my black, gay, Methodist friend."

True friendship carries no additional attached labels. I am straight. I have friends who are gay. I have friends that are from different ethnic backgrounds. My best friend is Puerto Rican. They all have one thing in common...they call me their friend too.

In regards to the religious beliefs of the many different churches, with emphasis on the Catholic religion, that "condemns" homosexuality: while it is true, the Catholic church has many gay and lesbian members of their congregation, isn't it ironic that while these God loving people are attending Sunday mass, some of those that stand at the front of the church, speaking the word of God, all the while, quietly condemning those who are gay, are busy molesting young boys? Please...give me a break.

This conversation comes at a time in the lives of all Americans when we should be less concerned with issues like gay or straight, color of skin and the name above the door where different people choose to worship the SAME GOD and be more concerned with the realization that life can come to an immediate, abrupt end, without hint or warning. Those that leave their homes in the mornings, failing to kiss their loved ones goodbye and instead, choose to foster hatred for those who are not of the same beliefs as they are, are missing the boat. Our time on this earth is severely limited when you really think about it. Why spend it fostering hatred for those who believe, love and live differently than others? Why not spend it with your children, boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife or FRIENDS, showing the love you have for them and instilling in them, the ability to love others without judgement?

I guess I just don't get it. Perhaps those who are gearing up for their next KKK rally, abortion clinic bombing, "Anti-Gay/Lesbian" meetings or some other warped assembly of hate-filled people, can better explain it to me so I can perhaps understand what they are all about.

Sorry for the long post but like Lorri, this stuff really gets me going. So now, can we get back to more pleasant topics like "What-is-the-best-wrap-for-my-jump-cue-with-a-hard-tip-and-how-can-I-get-it-to-draw-on-three-rail-jump-carom-shots-and-is-my-irish-linen-wrap-really-from-Ireland?"

Regards,

Ken

CarolNYC
05-19-2002, 09:24 AM
Hey Rip,
Whats going on? As for Megs,Yes, she is getting married and it is the happiest I have ever seen her,so I suggest everyone just wish her and John a happy,healthy and loving relationship-and for those who dont know-she just got her touring pro status too,so how strong is that!The rest this thread is totally outta context and should just be disregarded(except the congratulations)-you know the words "misery loves company"huh,anon!
CarolNYC

Wally_in_Cincy
05-19-2002, 10:36 AM
Congatulations to the happy couple. I've always thought Ms. Smith was very pretty. BTW does anyone know is Ms. Smith is still writing her column at azbilliards? I haven't seen a new one in awhile.

05-19-2002, 02:50 PM
Well, I think my work here is done. Thanks Ken. Harold, I'm really sorry we had to butt heads on this one. Carol, I think more than one poster DID congratulate Megan, so be at peace my dear. :-)

TomBrooklyn
05-19-2002, 03:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous::</font><hr> thought she was a lesbian <hr></blockquote>Any discussion of someone's sexual orientation would more likely be welcome in The National Enquirer than on this forum, and Anon's comment is unkind and inappropriate in response to a nuptial announcement./ccboard/images/icons/frown.gif

That being said, however, I was somewhat perplexed at some of the assumptions that were made about Anon and then criticized./ccboard/images/icons/shocked.gif It is indeterminate from Anon's brief comment what reasons, if any, she has for making her assumption; if she is Christian; what her gender is; and if male, if he has ever been beaten by a women at pool. It is not even determinate from her post whether she supports or condemns lesbianism. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Of course, I'm sure she knows that many people think negatively about homosexuality, thus the offence.

Anon might be a Christian lesbian, and a lousy pool player with a vendeta, but who knows?

---------------

<font color=blue>On a more cheerful note, best wishes to Megan Smith.<font color=blue>

Barbara
05-19-2002, 04:00 PM
If memory serves me correctly, Pete and I were invited for the ceremony that would be happening about now, EST, at the Bellagio.

Congrats to the happy couple and may they share many happy anniversaries!!

Barbara and Pete - 15 years and counting

AzHousePro
05-19-2002, 11:29 PM
Megan and I have talked about her column and she does want to continue writing for us. She can't very well write about trying to get her pro card anymore though.

Mike

05-19-2002, 11:40 PM
i am learning how to play pool and i would like to know about the brackets the board how to ran a tornament maybe you know how can i to see two elimination chart i hope you understand what iam talking about thanks my name is hugo

Rod
05-20-2002, 12:08 AM
Hugo, do you need a chart, or do you want to know how to run the tournament using the chart? You'll need more information on number of players, single or double elimination, etc. You can get different charts at www.playpool.com (http://www.playpool.com)

05-25-2002, 04:29 PM
Wow Harold, I thought ignorance was bliss until I read your post and now I realize that ignorance is truly ignorance.

05-25-2002, 05:35 PM
Ask me if I care what you think.